HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Lilium in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Warsaw Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 10:18 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Arrow DUBAI | Lighthouse tower | 1,319 FT / 402 M | 64 FLOORS | ON HOLD

Dubai International Financial Centre launches DIFC Lighthouse Tower

The Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) announced the launch of DIFC Lighthouse Tower, a landmark 400-metre luxury office tower that will be constructed in the heart of the DIFC District, adjacent to the famous 'Gate' building.
United Arab Emirates: 1 hour, 50 minutes ago PRESS RELEASE

Environmentally sensitive design to set benchmark for energy conservation.

The gross floor area of the project will be 90,000 square metres.

A beacon of modernity, the Lighthouse will be characterised by special external lighting features that will distinguish it from all other high-rise buildings in Dubai. As well, the approved environmentally sensitive design of the tower will include provisions for various applications for renewable energy, reduced carbon emissions and energy saving techniques.

His Excellency Dr. Omar Bin Sulaiman, Governor of DIFC, said:
'The launch of the DIFC Lighthouse Tower, the newest landmark on the skyline of Dubai comes in line with our objective with the ongoing expansion of the DIFC and concomitant growth of the emirate, this tower will help meet the burgeoning demand for high-quality office space in the heart of our thriving community.'

He continued: 'The unique design of this slender tower will make it stand out, especially at night, when the external lighting will serve, like a lighthouse, to attract the admiration of residents and visitors alike. We are particularly proud of the project's environmentally friendly and sensitive design, which will set a new benchmark for energy conservation in the region.'

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 2:56 PM

it looks like the index

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 5:56 PM
Yippie Ka Yay!

Looks like a taller, thinner version of the Index with the center removed, then replaced by a circuit board. (but I still like it. 9/10!)

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 7:12 PM

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 8:24 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

somebody posted a thread bout this a while ago i remember...
i didnt like it back then and i dont like it now
i do like the fact that its an enviormentally friendly building

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 8:46 PM
The True Avatar

Nice concept on being enviromentally friendly. But the degin looks like a waste of building materials.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 9:34 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
somebody posted a thread bout this a while ago i remember...
i didnt like it back then and i dont like it now
i do like the fact that its an enviormentally friendly building
It was just a proposal back then but now has been announced and should be built (hopefully)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 12:57 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 8:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Nice, I like the detail on the front, very futuristic!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 9:27 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

One more render, now larger and clearer:

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 12:06 PM

do we know how much power the turbines will generate... will the building be self sufficient for electricity?

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics.. even if you win your still a retard"

(spot the deliberate mistake)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 6:51 PM

it looks like a building that would be considered mundane on Couruscant--meaning it's wicked sick here. B/c they call it the Lighthouse Tower, they should have something fancy like a rotating light near the top or something--something cliche that Dubai would do (ex.--the tower w/ the sundial on the top)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 7:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
One more render, now larger and clearer:

I liked it until I realized the top half was open. Seems unusually thin for an office tower though. They should build two, and make the world's highest suspension bridge.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 10:38 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ Yes it'll have to be open otherwise the windturbines would be useless up there. BTW you can see they've incorparated the DIFC logo into the design
http://www.difc.ae/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 11:17 PM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Lovely... one of the better designs out of Dubai.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 1:39 AM
Original Member since '99

coooool

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 1:48 AM
Everywhere all at once

thats a cool building. Dubai is freakin' psycho.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:35 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Amazing renders at http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...&upload_id=998

Atkins strives for low carbon precedent

Low carbon commercial towers may one day become a reality in Dubai thanks to international consultants Atkins, whose Middle East operation is currently undertaking the concept design for ‘The Lighthouse’, located in the heart of the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC). In setting a new benchmark for Dubai, the 400-metre luxury office tower aspires to be a low carbon commercial building which aims to reduce its total energy consumption by up to 65% and water consumption by up to 40%. This will be achieved through the use of passive solar architecture, many low energy, low water engineering solutions, recovery strategies for both energy and water and building integrated renewables – including large scale wind turbines and photovoltaics. During the development of the design Atkins will map and manage the embodied energy content of the building and select materials from sustainable sources, so that impact on global resources is controlled. Already this is leading designers to consider a steel frame solution for this structure. Additionally, features such as floorplates interconnected by micro-atria and the inclusion of inter connecting vertical gardens are being actively considered to enhance the social aspects of this building. From the early stages of the project, Atkins will work closely with DIFC to establish and rigorously evaluate options for achieving a low carbon building before making final recommendations. Inspired by the rectilinear context and simple minimalist lines of the existing DIFC precinct, as well as the client’s requirement of creating a ‘lighthouse’ for DIFC, the building generates active energy through three integrated 29m diameter wind turbines. To optimise performance and operational periods, the turbines have windward directional wind vanes or limited yaw and the spandrel glazing sections of the south facing vertical façade incorporate 4000 photo voltaic panels. This unique building, with a total construction area of 140,000 sq m, will become a working prototype for low carbon towers within the region and a model for more sustainable developments in the future. Features: 400m high; 66-storey commercial office tower; three 29m diameter, 225 KV wind turbines; 4000 PV spandrel panels; 84,000 sq m of commercial space as well as basement and podium parking, convention centres, retail, environmental visitor centre and a park connecting to the DIFC central spine.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:48 PM

I like it. It looks elegant and unique, like some sort of monument. The opening on the top part is there to house the windturbines and also to reduce wind pressure.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up

TOP COOL. Amasing Tower.
Too futuristic, very uncommon. I like the wind turbines and the appearance seems a motherboard with fibra optic circuits. Well done chosen this design. PERFECT to me, but seems not a lighthouse. The light source is in complete tower, not only in top. Seems to be a building planet of Star Wars. I like a lot, mainly the renderings. I hope the reality quite similar to that.
But resembles the shape of Index and a monumental fabric power plant tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive