HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 4:25 PM
Baryonic Lord

Nice looking tower. Reminds me of AIM's HQ in Houston. I thought Devon was based in Houston too. Nice.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 2:16 AM
Urban Explorer

Great looking project. Any time Hines and Pickard Chilton get together, you know the development will be fantastic - see 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta and the AIM Headquarters in Houston.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 6:18 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

WOW a stunningly elegant tower. I'm UBER jealous.
I wish soooo bad Salt Lake would get a tower of this magnitude.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
WOW a stunningly elegant tower. I'm UBER jealous.
I wish soooo bad Salt Lake would get a tower of this magnitude.
Think how a Buffalo Guy must feel! Really though, those Mormans won't let anything be taller than the Morman Tabernacal! BEST BELIEVE THE SH#T!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 5:30 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
If there is any project a bank might get in to, it'd be a new HQ for an energy giant. I have heard that Bank of Oklahoma (BOK), based in Tulsa, may finance this project. It'd be an awesome partnership.
I think devon is not going to finance it. They have the cash to build.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 2:40 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Good luck to OKC I would luv to see this built!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 3:02 PM

Things are supposedly moving along rather smoothly behind the scenes.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 1:12 AM

^^ I guess they're pushing a bit of it in front of the scenes now...

-----

More information continues to come out about the Devon Tower site. We now know the site will include an auditorium, retail space on the ground levels, a connecting structure to the neighboring boutique hotel the Colcord, and a fully public rotunda that will be the main entry to the entire facility.

Current Construction Timeline

Early 2009 - Parking facility construction begins
Spring/Summer 2009 - Site prep begins
November 2009 - Foundation complete
Late 2010 - Parking facility complete
Early 2013 - Full completion of site

-----

The site for the project is located on the surface parking lot adjacent and to the right of the large public greenspace at the center of this photo:

In an 93 page report that included all of the schematics, I only found one new rendering, which shows the curtain-wall parking garage and the tower in the background:

-------

Panel OKs Devon plan for building
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: November 21, 2008

Inspired by the success of the New York Times’ new Manhattan headquarters, architects designing a world headquarters for Devon Energy are proposing to construct an auditorium at the corner of Hudson and Sheridan avenues.

The auditorium is one of several new details revealed Thursday as Devon Energy successfully presented its plans for approval by the Downtown Design Review Committee.

Weather considered
Architect John Pickard said designers have met challenges designing retail spaces along the ground floor of the "podium” building that will be just west of the 54-story tower and rotunda.

They want to open the spaces to the park, but also must contend with Oklahoma’s changing weather.

Their answer was to create rooms with French doors that could open up into the adjoining gardens and pavilions, designed to be open during fair weather and enclosed with glass during extreme conditions.

Pickard said the rotunda is designed to not just be a dramatic space — but a space that will be filled with people.

He said garage connections are designed to force all of Devon’s work force, as well as the public to enter through the rotunda.

Similar changes are being planned for the neighboring Colcord Hotel, which Devon bought in August.

‘Very urban thing’
Committee members praised the plans, but urged Devon Energy to consider adding a retail level on the first floor of a garage extension to face Hudson Avenue.

Member James Loftis noted the Devon project meets the city’s desires for urban architecture downtown compared with a "suburban” style building approved by the committee in September.

"This is a very urban thing — it goes far beyond anything I thought we’d see in our lifetimes,” Loftis said.

He also praised Devon Energy for placing the public rotunda instead of the tower in the center of the block.

"It’s phenomenal — I can’t wait,” member Richard Tanenbaum said.

"Why don’t you start construction now?”

------------

Devon plans auditorium at world headquarters
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record November 21, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Devon Energy Corp. is tweaking and refining its plans for a world headquarters now set for completion in 2013.

Initial plans released by the company in March called for several structures on a piece of Urban Renewal land.

In August Larry Nichols, CEO of Devon, unveiled plans for a 54-story skyscraper, an additional 400,000-square-foot office building connected to the tower by a glass rotunda, and park space on the southwest side of the site.

One new addition presented to the Downtown Design Review Committee on Thursday included an auditorium nestled in the park space at the corner of Hudson and Sheridan avenues.

Jon Pickard, principal with the architecture firm Pickard Chilton, said the auditorium will be similar to the Times Center, a 378-seat auditorium built by the New York Times in Manhattan.

The Devon auditorium will likely seat about 250.

Pickard called the auditorium the “jewel of the park,” and said the company wants it to be available for community use.

“As we developed the design and we started to better analyze the needs of Devon for meeting facilities it seemed to be that an auditorium would help support the Devon corporate mission,” he said.

“It was always there as a thought, we just hadn’t developed it.”
Pickard said the auditorium is still a concept at this point and the exact size and cost have not been determined.

The second floor of the office building, dubbed The Podium, will also be a conference center.

Plans for parking were also discussed.

John Wood, vice president with Hines, and project officer for the Devon site, said plans are in the works for Devon to acquire the west side of the City Center Garage and add five floors exclusively for the company’s use.

Wood said the company would like to start work on expanding the garage upwards, and to the west toward Hudson Avenue, in the first quarter of 2009 and it should take 21 months to complete.

Plans for the tower call for demo work on the site beginning next year and the foundation for the tower could be in the ground by November.

The current timeline for the project calls for completion in early to mid-2013.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 4:27 PM

I read that they are now going to moving this HQ and building to Minneapolis where it really belongs.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream'n View Post
I read that they are now going to moving this HQ and building to Minneapolis where it really belongs.
Maybe if it was Devon Flour company, or Devon Bank, then maybe. Devon isn't going anywhere, they are fully committed to OKC, and this cements that w/o any wiggle room to say they aren't.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 7:30 PM
Master and Commander

beautiful, just beautiful!!

My city of Calgary also has the honours of being the recipient to both Hines and Pickard Chilton for designing Eight Avenue Place. I think you guys should take a peek into that projects under the high rise construction section once a month or so because the design team for this project is the same guys who are now doing your Devon Tower. John Pickard is the lead architect for both towers and not surprisingly the materials like the curtainwall looks strikingly similar to what the project in Calgary is going to have.

I think by viewing the EAP project as it rises it may give you Oklahomians an idea of how good your project will really look!

Just beautiful!! Btw, John Pickard is the same guy who was the project architect for the Petronas Twin Towers in K.L under the lead of Cesar Pelli.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Maybe if it was Devon Flour company, or Devon Bank, then maybe. Devon isn't going anywhere, they are fully committed to OKC, and this cements that w/o any wiggle room to say they aren't.

Not much of a sense of humor

or can't take a compliment.

Last edited by Dream'n; Nov 27, 2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: addition

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:54 PM

Very nice building. Pickard Chilton also did the stunning 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 10:38 AM

Perhaps I missed it? but has anyone seen a rendering of how this will look on the city skyline? especially at night.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 7:30 PM

^^ Here it is with a model of the skyline... You can see it's double most of the other buildings.

They haven't said much about lighting, but they did hint that possibly the triangles at the top will be lit...

Architect5311 of okctalk.com posted these sketchup models:

Best view since Devon is in the background. Fills in the gap perfectly.

From I-40

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/DEVONTOWER-4.jpg[img]

From Midtown

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 10:48 PM

Here's a link to the okc.gov pdf file of the report proposal. It's a SUPER amazing document of information. EVERYTHING is in here from floor plans to facades to anything you want to know. You'll see some recommendations to fail certain ordidance aspects, but those are noted with a variance request....and of course they will get it. Couple that with the TIF proposal improvements.....man oh man.

Report for Devon Tower

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:55 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Sharp looking proposal. A bit out of scale with the rest of the DT area, but really this project will set the bar for future projects in OKC..

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 7:25 AM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
Here's a link to the okc.gov pdf file of the report proposal. It's a SUPER amazing document of information. EVERYTHING is in here from floor plans to facades to anything you want to know. You'll see some recommendations to fail certain ordidance aspects, but those are noted with a variance request....and of course they will get it. Couple that with the TIF proposal improvements.....man oh man.

Report for Devon Tower
When you skim through 93 pages of documents, renderings & other various notations... you know you got it bad. I have no problem admitting it!

Seeing some of those schematics for how the building should be arranged is really interesting and sums up why the project could be a great addition to the revitalization downtown. Especially since Devon's talked about that Tax Reinvestment thing for schools, trails, etc... in the past week or two.

Now let's see them build it!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 8:52 PM

Update

Quote:
Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority approves Devon plans
By Pamela Grady - 12/17/2008

On the heels of Oklahoma City's City Council's decision to create a new Downtown tax increment financing district to fund approximately $175 million in public improvements and economic development efforts, which was spurred by Devon Energy’s planned development of a new world headquarters building, Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority committee members today approved a proposed redevelopment agreement with Devon World Headquarters LLC to build its $750 million high-rise next to the historic Colcord Hotel.

The project's schematic design studies and evidence of financing also were approved.

“It’s a great pleasure for all of us to be involved in such a spectacular project,” said Dan Batchelor, OCURA's legal counsel. “The location for the proposed Devon World headquarters has long been envisioned as a center piece location for a Downtown redevelopment.”

Devon Realty Advisors Inc. President Klaholt Kimker and Hines Vice President John Wood attended the meeting to update committee members on minimal project design changes.

Wood said the 54-story office tower and podium structures will remain at 1.9 million square feet of space, but because of site constraints, the project's auditorium structure has been shifted from the east side of the site to the west side.

“It sets off kind of its own structure now, and provides a nice framework to the Devon park that will front on Sheridan Avenue,” Wood said. “It'll be very elegant and open and accessible to the public.”

The podium structure will now become a five-story structure instead of its proposed six.

“A key architectural object in all this is the rotunda, which will serve as a unified element in the overall project,” Wood said. “As we brought the podium structure down, the rotunda has remained at six stories, so it really kind of enhances that as an architectural object and makes it more of a beacon, if you will, in the overall competition of the site.”

Site preparation and demolition work is scheduled for fall 2009.
Can't wait for this thing to get built.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 3:48 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Yap, Devon Tower is Approved!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive