HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2101  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:08 AM
car2004 car2004 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Ha, Boston ande San Diego I would agree, Austin, not quite. The Milam isn't so bad, great history, the first air conditioned skyscraper.
See, that is something I really do not like---the first this---the first that---if you really think about it, isnt it the first for anything when it comes to construction? Every construction has something new to add as technology grows. We will never grow if we keep holding on to the past.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2102  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:11 AM
car2004 car2004 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Ha, Boston ande San Diego I would agree, Austin, not quite. The Milam isn't so bad, great history, the first air conditioned skyscraper.
It would seem others agree:

http://www.themilambuilding.com/space.htm
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2103  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:32 AM
maxus's Avatar
maxus maxus is offline
SA 24th largest city
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: san antonio
Posts: 176
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2104  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 7:36 AM
car2004 car2004 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Does anyone have any information regarding construction at the Rim? What is going on with that parking garage looking building (or it may be) near the Palladium. I haven’t seen anything going on with that for, I would think about two years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2105  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:06 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,717
Two years? They just finished building the second garage. P.S. there's a thread on that development (The Village at The Rim) on this forum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2106  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:06 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
It's better to compare places by metro population not city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2107  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:10 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
Boston and San Diego are at least 3 to 4 times bigger than San Antonio.
San Diego is .5 times bigger than SA. Its population has 1 million more than SA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2108  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 11:04 PM
oldmanshirt's Avatar
oldmanshirt oldmanshirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SATX > KCMO > DFW
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I hope they tear down that 650ft overpriced restaurant. I am tired of that "building" keeping SA from getting more useable, eye pleasing construction to this city. Austin, San Diego and Boston all have populations lower than us, but yet have more to offer. Sad. On a side note, tear down that 1929 building next to the sight of the new Embassy suites hotel downtown. That building is horrible. It is the worst building I have ever seen. What person on earth thinks is beautiful?!---My three story apt complex looks better than that junk.
Be gone tower of Americas, be gone!!! Here is an idea, construct a muiti use building with a restaurant on top. That way all people get to enjoy it---For example, The Prudential Tower, instead of some hollow-out UFO looking plate with colored lights and a $25 and up menu. Tell me, what else does this building serve for the public or the private sector? You might as well have an Ihop on there.
Uh, first of all. . .

Nevermind, I'm not even gonna bother.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2109  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 2:11 AM
ydoc14's Avatar
ydoc14 ydoc14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I hope they tear down that 650ft overpriced restaurant. I am tired of that "building" keeping SA from getting more useable, eye pleasing construction to this city. Austin, San Diego and Boston all have populations lower than us, but yet have more to offer. Sad. On a side note, tear down that 1929 building next to the sight of the new Embassy suites hotel downtown. That building is horrible. It is the worst building I have ever seen. What person on earth thinks is beautiful?!---My three story apt complex looks better than that junk.
Be gone tower of Americas, be gone!!! Here is an idea, construct a muiti use building with a restaurant on top. That way all people get to enjoy it---For example, The Prudential Tower, instead of some hollow-out UFO looking plate with colored lights and a $25 and up menu. Tell me, what else does this building serve for the public or the private sector? You might as well have an Ihop on there.
First of all, it's 622', not 650'. With that being said, it's still well over 500', and therefore SA has had a skyscraper over 500' for many more years than San Diego and Austin (like 30 years probably) and is still the tallest thing between Houston and LA. It's a landmark, and you don't tear down landmarks. And not only is it a landmark, it's an icon. It, by itself, represents the city in the same way the skyline as a whole would and does. Put an IHOP in it and people would still go...cause I'm pretty sure most people go to the observation level and not the restaurant.

P.S. The Space Needle and Stratosphere Tower look more like UFOS then ToA.
__________________
GO SPURS GO! | My Photography
SAN ANTONIO
~ been here since April 2005...formerly sanantoniorocks21 and sarocks14
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2110  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 1:32 PM
sakyle04's Avatar
sakyle04 sakyle04 is offline
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 78201
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Uh, first of all. . .

Nevermind, I'm not even gonna bother.
exactly.

__________________
PAVE PARADISE, PUT UP A (HIGH-RISE ON A) PARKING LOT...
Kyle on Twitter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2111  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 6:16 PM
miaht82's Avatar
miaht82 miaht82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Triangle
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
It would seem others agree:

http://www.themilambuilding.com/space.htm
I see great potential for a renovation/re-use as residential. Its usually what happens to unusable/old office space. It would be a good thing for SA. If this gets taken up as residential, it would just line up the space/demand for the next NEW office high rise or renovations/use in existing ones.

Yeah, and welcome to the forum.
__________________
The Raleigh Connoisseur
It is the city trying to escape the consequences of being a city
while still remaining a city. It is urban society trying to eat its
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2112  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
car2004 car2004 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Two years? They just finished building the second garage. P.S. there's a thread on that development (The Village at The Rim) on this forum.
May be I am not looking in the right area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2113  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:47 AM
car2004 car2004 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
First of all, it's 622', not 650'. With that being said, it's still well over 500', and therefore SA has had a skyscraper over 500' for many more years than San Diego and Austin (like 30 years probably) and is still the tallest thing between Houston and LA. It's a landmark, and you don't tear down landmarks. And not only is it a landmark, it's an icon. It, by itself, represents the city in the same way the skyline as a whole would and does. Put an IHOP in it and people would still go...cause I'm pretty sure most people go to the observation level and not the restaurant.

P.S. The Space Needle and Stratosphere Tower look more like UFOS then ToA.
I would never compare the Tower of Americas with the use and function of the buildings of San Diego and Austin. The tower of Americas, as said, is nothing more than a restaurant. Tallest thing between Houston and LA?---are we just courting the road to LA and Houston? The point was made not to take it away from being a "landmark" but to state that it has been hindering development of bigger projects with a much bigger (likely) economic potential to the city of San Antonio. Your point seems to be, if it is tall, it should stay. By that standard, I am guessing all the light structures along the highway should be landmarks, there tall and, most likely if more than one person could fit, would have a great view of the city. The point was to make something with total use of todays engineering. A city “icon” can only be fresh for so long. We cannot rely on just the past. We have to be innovative, new, and inventive. Adding Chart and 4D ride, whatever that is, is not going to cut it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2114  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:49 AM
car2004 car2004 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
exactly.

This is a place to have conversations (that is why I joined), not posting would have be suffice without resorting to electronic silly faces.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2115  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:50 AM
car2004 car2004 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I see great potential for a renovation/re-use as residential. Its usually what happens to unusable/old office space. It would be a good thing for SA. If this gets taken up as residential, it would just line up the space/demand for the next NEW office high rise or renovations/use in existing ones.

Yeah, and welcome to the forum.
Never thought about this idea. Good point. A little paint and I may want to live there, but never work. I like a lot of glass in a workplace.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2116  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 2:24 PM
sakyle04's Avatar
sakyle04 sakyle04 is offline
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 78201
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
This is a place to have conversations (that is why I joined), not posting would have be suffice without resorting to electronic silly faces.
You are right. My apologies. Please forgive me.

The group that posts on the San Antonio boards is generally pretty small and friendly and we've gotten to know each other over time. Part of our familiarity leads to occasional sarcasm, but that's no excuse. Sorry.

I am glad you're here. Please don't let my silly face dissuade you. The more dialogue the better and the more wacky ideas the better. After all, I am the one who still supports tearing down the Alamodome to build a speculative high-rise community. Now that is ...

Kyle
__________________
PAVE PARADISE, PUT UP A (HIGH-RISE ON A) PARKING LOT...
Kyle on Twitter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2117  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 3:11 PM
oldmanshirt's Avatar
oldmanshirt oldmanshirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SATX > KCMO > DFW
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I would never compare the Tower of Americas with the use and function of the buildings of San Diego and Austin. The tower of Americas, as said, is nothing more than a restaurant. Tallest thing between Houston and LA?---are we just courting the road to LA and Houston? The point was made not to take it away from being a "landmark" but to state that it has been hindering development of bigger projects with a much bigger (likely) economic potential to the city of San Antonio. Your point seems to be, if it is tall, it should stay. By that standard, I am guessing all the light structures along the highway should be landmarks, there tall and, most likely if more than one person could fit, would have a great view of the city. The point was to make something with total use of todays engineering. A city “icon” can only be fresh for so long. We cannot rely on just the past. We have to be innovative, new, and inventive. Adding Chart and 4D ride, whatever that is, is not going to cut it.
I'd imagine you and LeCorbusier would have been pretty good friends, he wanted to tear down all of Paris and "rebuild" it with endless highrise apartment blocks.

I doubt anyone here would say the ToA is the classiest-looking thing in the world, but to say it is just a restaurant is akin to saying that the Alamo is just an old church. The tower symbolizes a time in the city's past when the world's eyes were trained on San Antonio, when for once in the history of this history-obsessed place there was no foot dragging or hand wringing about preservation or scale; they simply went out and built something modern (for the time) and iconic, and did so in record time. If you're unfamiliar with this history (hint: there's a reason its called "Hemisfair tower") I'd suggest boning up on it before you go around trying to tear stuff down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_World%27s_Fair

Also, there's nothing wrong with the Milam building. Go to any city in the country and you'll find similar buildings mixed in amongst the modern glass towers.

Welcome to the forum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2118  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 6:03 PM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
The point was made not to take it away from being a "landmark" but to state that it has been hindering development of bigger projects with a much bigger (likely) economic potential to the city of San Antonio.
Hindering? What and how is the tower hindering anything? Do you think someone is going to build just for the sake of building? Look around downtown; there are plenty of places to build if there was any real demand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2119  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 6:06 PM
car2004 car2004 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'd imagine you and LeCorbusier would have been pretty good friends, he wanted to tear down all of Paris and "rebuild" it with endless highrise apartment blocks.

I doubt anyone here would say the ToA is the classiest-looking thing in the world, but to say it is just a restaurant is akin to saying that the Alamo is just an old church. The tower symbolizes a time in the city's past when the world's eyes were trained on San Antonio, when for once in the history of this history-obsessed place there was no foot dragging or hand wringing about preservation or scale; they simply went out and built something modern (for the time) and iconic, and did so in record time. If you're unfamiliar with this history (hint: there's a reason its called "Hemisfair tower") I'd suggest boning up on it before you go around trying to tear stuff down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_World%27s_Fair

Also, there's nothing wrong with the Milam building. Go to any city in the country and you'll find similar buildings mixed in amongst the modern glass towers.

Welcome to the forum.
Of course I know the history, but that does not mean I like it or want it to remain, but again, that is my point. All we are talking about here is "it was a time, it was... it made". Let’s make new history...not prevent construction history in SA from happening because of this one restaurant, which it has been proven to do and seems to be doing so now. Look at the same that happened with the grand Hyatt.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2120  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 6:08 PM
car2004 car2004 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Hindering? What and how is the tower hindering anything? Do you think someone is going to build just for the sake of building? Look around downtown; there are plenty of places to build if there was any real demand.
There are hight limits due to not wanting to overshadowing the tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.