HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:10 PM
you know where I'll be

^ By the way, nice digs! I've always admired this adaptive re-use project and the new facade. We see precious few of such complete 're-skinnings' in Chicago...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
What a bunch of armchair quarterbacks. There is more to city planning than density and transit.

That particular census tract has, over the last 40 years, seen the largest percentage increase in density and dwelling units in all of Westtown.

This wasn't all that tough, as 60% of the land area had been industrial. But as a result of that heritage, the tract is a rabbit warren of narrow blind streets, oblique intersections, physical obstructions and bad drainage.
I suspect that it is only their dedication to duty that entices the CFD to drive their trucks into there.

Here's the story of those parcels.
All numbers are approximate.
12 years ago the property between W’bago and the tracks was zoned R4. That would allow 3 1/2 story residential buildings, 50000 sq ft total and 42 total dwelling units.
The Milwaukee half was zoned B4-2. That would allow 4 story buildings, commercial on the first floor. 80000 sq ft and 40 Dwelling units (DU) total.
Both parcels were owned by developer #1. He rolled them into a Planned development (PD) (#975). In order to maximize the residential (W’bago) side he agreed to wave a large portion of the floor area and all the DUs on the Milwaukee side (to build a strip mall) in exchange for an 80% increase in floor area and an extra 3 DUs on the W’bago side.

Eventually Developer #1 sold the W’bago side to another investor. This is common, all investors must abide by the original agreement.
That investor, Developer #2 fell into foreclosure.
Developer #3 bought it in a short sale ..
The PD was set to expire at the end of June 2012 and, by ordinance, the parcels are supposed to automatically revert to RT4 and B3-2

The Milw’ side still belongs to Developer #1 who created the PD. When it expired, any concessions he made on that portion of the development were no longer binding.

In May of 2012, developer #3 who owns the W’bago side said he feels that despite the loss of those concessions, he should retain the enhancements granted, asked for further zoning enhancements.

The Nimbys were willing to abide by the original development plan for the W'bago side, but developer #3, still wanted more.
He thought he was in the catbird seat because the Department of Planning never gets around to rolling back the zoning on expired PDs.

The Nimbys contacted Patty Scudiero directly and said:

"Ever since the fiasco of RPD 196, Chicago’s Municipal Code has made it clear that every subsequent Planned Development ordinance had a clear expiration date and that failure by the developer to perform, for whatever reason, should not be rewarded by the umbrella zoning, used to legitimize the project, becoming the new benchmark for the parcel or used as a springboard for further enhancements.

Planned Development 975 expires on June 29 2012. Section 3-16 of its own PD ordinance states that, “the zoning of the Property shall automatically revert to the B3-2 Community Shopping District and RT4 Residential Two-Flat, Townhouse and Multi-Unit District classifications applicable to the Property prior to the adoption of this Planned Development.”

The only fair disposition of a failed project is to return the parcel to its original zoning.

Section 17-13-0612-E of the Chicago Municipal Code makes that clear. It also makes it clear that the duty to initiate this change rests solely with your office.

We respectfully request that your office initiate a Zoning Ordinance Map Amendment to rezone the subject property to the zoning classification that applied to the subject property before approval of the planned development, in accordance with the procedures of Sec. 17-13-0300."

She contacted the alderman and said, "Make this go away".

The properties were zoned back.

Now, they are back where they should be with moderate density on the residential side where it may be adequately served by city services and the Milw' side (although no plans seem to be in the works) reverted back to the kind of potential it deserved.

Hopefully avoiding another strip mall.
So after all of that, here's is what is going to come of it:

Northwestern Hospital Eyes Land Near Bloomingdale Trail for Care Site

See permit here.

Hopefully it turns out better than this.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
[*]Warren Baker's redevelopment of Lincoln Centre at Lincoln/Altgeld. 12 stories, 225 units, 186 parking. SCB design is boring by downtown standards but crazy modern for Lincoln Park.

This may be happening. It appeared as though demo of the current structure had started when I went by it on the train yesterday morning (though, the work being done could well be for something else, but I will confirm this evening).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:42 PM

I walked by there the other day, the drive-thru is on the south side of the building. Looks very awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^
Nice. Is there any evidence that this will actually be a drive thru?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
This may be happening. It appeared as though demo of the current structure had started when I went by it on the train yesterday morning (though, the work being done could well be for something else, but I will confirm this evening).
Impressive if that is true. I would love to see how they managed to buy out the condo owners of that building. Let's hope they have their ducks in a row and we see this new, denser, building completed in a few years.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:12 PM

Quote:
So after all of that, here's is what is going to come of it:

Northwestern Hospital Eyes Land Near Bloomingdale Trail for Care Site

See permit here.

Hopefully it turns out better than this.
Feel like getting even angrier? Read about this debacle in Lakeview if you haven't already. It contained this interesting nugget:
Feeley pointed to the Halsted Flats, which has a 1:1 parking ratio. He said 80 percent of the apartments are currently leased, but only 40 percent of parking spots are occupied.

"I think in this day and age, the people who are paying these rents for these amenities don't want a car," Feeley said. "They don't want to pay for a car. If they need a car, they'll use a ZipCar for a day."
I am so annoyed right now.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:50 PM

That cool proposed 10 story, 8 unit building slated for 61 W Erie (~Erie and Dearborn) is up for zoning approval on September 19th.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
What I've been seeing on the train actually appears to be construction rather than demolition. Seems that the two story building at the corner is being renovated (to look like the "Apollo" store in the rendering rather than being demolished.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That cool proposed 10 story, 8 unit building slated for 61 W Erie (~Erie and Dearborn) is up for zoning approval on September 19th.
What project is that again? Does anyone have a rendering?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 12:16 AM
TL;DR

I kind of sympathize with the neighbors on this one... Every rendering Sedgwick has shown has been a complete and utter turd, uglier than even the old Cabrini high rises.

I mean, clearly they are massing models but Sedgwick should not bring images like that to the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Feel like getting even angrier? Read about this debacle in Lakeview if you haven't already. It contained this interesting nugget:
Feeley pointed to the Halsted Flats, which has a 1:1 parking ratio. He said 80 percent of the apartments are currently leased, but only 40 percent of parking spots are occupied.

"I think in this day and age, the people who are paying these rents for these amenities don't want a car," Feeley said. "They don't want to pay for a car. If they need a car, they'll use a ZipCar for a day."
I am so annoyed right now.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I kind of sympathize with the neighbors on this one... Every rendering Sedgwick has shown has been a complete and utter turd, uglier than even the old Cabrini high rises.

I mean, clearly they are massing models but Sedgwick should not bring images like that to the community.
Seriously? They're massing models. And the criticism has nothing to do with the design:
"It's too big," resident Marty Wallace said. "You went from 120 to 101 units. It doesn't mean anything. ... Fifteen stories is not going to work in this neighborhood at this particular time."...
Residents on Tuesday argued that 68 parking spaces wasn't nearly enough for such a large project in an already congested area. One woman said she frequently sees cars double-parking — and getting towed — outside the Starbucks that sits directly across the street from the proposed development lot. "My main concern is parking in a neighborhood that's already over-parked," said Tim Brent, a 23-year resident. "This is just too big for the neighborhood. It's not good."

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:25 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
What project is that again? Does anyone have a rendering?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:39 AM
The City

^. Damn! That thing kicks ass! Cool as shit

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:41 AM

That has to happen.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:48 AM

Quite a visual statement. Condos? Units must be huge to take the whole floor.

Residents will probably hate that Walgreens parking lot, and the beggars and motorcycle groups that hang out in it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 2:28 AM

I really hope that happens. Gives some redemption to a lot of the crappy beige condo buildings in the area. Wish we could see more of these designs.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 2:30 AM
you know where I'll be

^^^^^ Sweet Jesus - this is what I've been talking about! We're in business with this one.......it's the anti-707 Wells....

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This would look good at virtually any height and any massing. I love the clash between all the exterior materials. I hope the concrete stays exactly that color.

I'm still trying to figure out what the extra thick slabs are for though.

-Hunter S. Thompson (click for full quote)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:59 AM

Pretty sick. All we need now is the walgreens to be demo'd and a highrise to hold the corner instead of a 1 story, drive-thru, walgreens.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 4:06 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaul Bunyan View Post
This would look good at virtually any height and any massing. I love the clash between all the exterior materials. I hope the concrete stays exactly that color.

I'm still trying to figure out what the extra thick slabs are for though.
Pools and hot tubs are my guess for the thick slabs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development