HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 8:11 PM

Although there won't be any construction in 2020, we should get an indication of what will happen on the former race track grounds. The committee that has been struck to advise a path forward should have at least shown their hand. With high-density housing with a commercial component the likely option, that area will see a rapid transformation over the next 2-3 years. My understanding is that there are proponents already chomping a the bit to submit proposals

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 9:19 PM

On top of that new apartment, Wagoneers and Rookwood is scheduled to be turned into a roundabout next summer as well. With the detour during this summer, that roundabout could have been very useful this year. But with a big apartment complex on Rookwood now, that roundabout will be even more useful.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Yeah it would have to a record i think, i feel like a few years ago there were 3-4 max (around the time of construction of the currie centre at unb and convention centre.

So could be as follows next year:

3-(7 to 9 floor buildings) on queen st downtown
1- for pot. centennial building reno
1- 5 floor micro apt on waterloo row/forest hill and
The above noted project for 6 in total
I really can't see the Centennial Building reno happening in 2020. They would still need to do all the design work once a decision is made on what to do.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 6:53 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ncil-1.5377529

They are starting to talk about this city owned building like it has any reason to be a heritage site. I doubt this will cause as much debate as the Risteen building, and I have no doubt it will be demolished with all the work it appears to need. Perhaps we could get a project similar to the one being built nextdoor.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Although there won't be any construction in 2020, we should get an indication of what will happen on the former race track grounds. The committee that has been struck to advise a path forward should have at least shown their hand. With high-density housing with a commercial component the likely option, that area will see a rapid transformation over the next 2-3 years. My understanding is that there are proponents already chomping a the bit to submit proposals
It's obviously a prime location. There's a lot of land there that can be developed, thereby advancing the city's goal of more densification in the downtown core. I also think we'll see mixed use residential-commercial projects on this property. Fredericton really needs to get this one right.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
And in other news, I've noticed the corner lot on Wagoneers and Rookwood, they've brought in a lot of earth to fill in the site. It's probably almost a metre above the sidewalk level. Part of it was probably to bring it up level, but I wonder if the rest is just meant to compact the site over winter? There is still some equipment on site, but I suspect it won't really do much until the spring.
They're adding more earth to the existing pile today.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
They're adding more earth to the existing pile today.
I see that. Gonna be 2-5m (~10ft maybe?) of new earth on the site by the time they are done by the looks of it. The new pile is easily over the window level of the basement apartments next door as is now.

That certainly lends credence to the idea that they are planning something significant there. If it was just a 3-4 story wooden apartments like further up on Waggoners, they wouldn't need to do anywhere near that much soil remediation/preparation.

This is beginning to look more and more like it might be a project like the Condos at Waggoners and Hanwell, only taller. (Those Condos are only 4 stories)

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
I see that. Gonna be 2-5m (~10ft maybe?) of new earth on the site by the time they are done by the looks of it. The new pile is easily over the window level of the basement apartments next door as is now.

That certainly lends credence to the idea that they are planning something significant there. If it was just a 3-4 story wooden apartments like further up on Waggoners, they wouldn't need to do anywhere near that much soil remediation/preparation.

This is beginning to look more and more like it might be a project like the Condos at Waggoners and Hanwell, only taller. (Those Condos are only 4 stories)
It's a good location for a larger project. Maybe residential with ground floor commercial? That seems to be a popular development template lately.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:17 PM

^ And current zoning allows for that as of right.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
^ And current zoning allows for that as of right.
Also if there is going to be ground floor commercial, it's more likely that we'll see a taller building.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:30 PM

Commercial first floor might be nice. I could see a restaurant doing well there; lots of local residential, plus the Post Office offices and CARIS and the radio station next door, and the Delta a stones throw away. A good takeout menu would also serve visitors to the parks (Odell and Wilmot) and the curling club well; much like Sunshine Diner does right now.

Hopefully we see some official news on this soon before we build this up to be bigger than it actually is. Still speculation is always fun, and we know people watch these boards enough to swipe ideas all the time.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Commercial first floor might be nice. I could see a restaurant doing well there; lots of local residential, plus the Post Office offices and CARIS and the radio station next door, and the Delta a stones throw away. A good takeout menu would also serve visitors to the parks (Odell and Wilmot) and the curling club well; much like Sunshine Diner does right now.

Hopefully we see some official news on this soon before we build this up to be bigger than it actually is. Still speculation is always fun, and we know people watch these boards enough to swipe ideas all the time.
If it does actually include 1st floor commercial, I was thinking a nice cafe would do well. Like you mentioned, they could draw customers from various source. We'll see what happens, it's all speculation for now.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 7:26 PM

A view of Mount Caris being built on the corner of Wagoneers and Rookwood. The dirt pile is over the windows of the first floor of the apartments next door. This certainly is a lot of site prep; more than just a simple 3-4 story complex would warrant.

Apologies for the tilt. I was parked and taking the pic through the window and didn't realize how tilted it was.

This is a before shot of the area.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 1:08 PM

Even if it is a four storey wood framed structure I'm guessing it would have underground parking which might necessitate similar site work. But it would be nice to see a 6-7 storey building there.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 1:27 PM

I was talking to an engineer on the weekend and mounding up the soil could have something to do with soil quality. Not necessarily a guarantee that it's a tall building but it could be a hint.

I still don't understand how this building has got to this point with no one noticing it on any building report or at any council meeting. Especially if it's of any substantial size. We're pretty good at picking these out, how did this one slip through the cracks?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGuy View Post
I was talking to an engineer on the weekend and mounding up the soil could have something to do with soil quality. Not necessarily a guarantee that it's a tall building but it could be a hint.

I still don't understand how this building has got to this point with no one noticing it on any building report or at any council meeting. Especially if it's of any substantial size. We're pretty good at picking these out, how did this one slip through the cracks?
The area is already zoned for big construction, so no amendments were needed nor any other major details/plans posted ahead of time. (The Risteen building plans also didn't need any amendments, hence why we don't have many details on the plans there).

Also, unlike the Risteen building, the building there before had no historical relevance, so when news that it was being demolished came out, there was no news; it's still going under the radar basically.

About the only thing that might raise some hackles if it is as big as we are anticipating/hearing, would be the residents of Sunshine Court; but since it isn't really showing up on the City Planning committees it is flying under the radar. Likely we won't hear much until a crane goes up.

Soil remediation might be a factor; water flow off the hill may be an issue there; especially with how low it was before. And I think that area was industrial in the past (especially with the rail lines that ran through there before). But I doubt they would dig down for underground parking, at least not for a wooden walkup building project. Not with the amount of space they have available.

A coworker/friend of mine said he heard some details about the project last summer, including a link to the renders (he's the one who mentioned a 6-7 story building). I didn't get the info, so I asked him to try and find it again; but he may have forgotten about it. If it comes up again I'll ask again.

And on a different note, considering they're doing this soil remediation for the Legion and this project; is anyone else a bit surprised that the Risteen site is basically untouched? I guess the soil quality is good enough in that area that they don't need to do anything else for their plans through the winter. (Or at least I hope that is the case, and not that they're going to leave it fallow for a year and start in 2021 or something)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:04 PM

So how many cranes are we looking at in Fredericton next summer?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:07 PM

3 are pretty much guaranteed:
* Legion site
* Queen Street site next to Chess Piece.
* Waterloo Road site

3 more possible/probable:
* Centennial building rebuild (depending on if the project gets finalized and what they do)
* Risteen building site. (No details about what is going up there have been announced)
* Rookwood @ Wagoneers (also no details about what is going up, other than a mountain of dirt)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
But I doubt they would dig down for underground parking, at least not for a wooden walkup building project. Not with the amount of space they have available.
The lot really isn't that big though, and there are plenty of four storey wood framed buildings that have underground parking. Several in the Lian Street area, the new one being built on Clark Street, the newer ones on Argyle, etc.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
3 are pretty much guaranteed:
* Legion site
* Queen Street site next to Chess Piece.
* Waterloo Road site

3 more possible/probable:
* Centennial building rebuild (depending on if the project gets finalized and what they do)
* Risteen building site. (No details about what is going up there have been announced)
* Rookwood @ Wagoneers (also no details about what is going up, other than a mountain of dirt)
I really hope they do the Centennial building redevelopment and that it's a major project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces