HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 6:23 PM
Community Guy

City unveils Economic Recovery Program to support local businesses
May 27, 2020

The City of Edmonton announced the Economic Recovery Program to assist businesses in their relaunch and support the ongoing recovery of the local economy.

“Businesses are a vital part of our community and now they are facing significant challenges due to COVID-19,” said Stephanie McCabe, Deputy City Manager of Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development. “The Economic Recovery Program is a result of ongoing conversations we’ve had with the business community to help them adjust to the challenges imposed by the pandemic.”

The program builds on the City’s current business support and aligns with programs offered by other orders of government and local agencies. It consists of five tools:

Option to reduce business licence fee payment by 50 per cent (upon request) until December 31, 2020
The Edmonton Economic Recovery Grant
Continued One-on-One Support Program
Process improvements and red tape reduction
Nimble responses to specific business needs for relaunch and recovery

The Edmonton Economic Recovery Grant is a new, two-phased funding program designed to support businesses in the initial relaunch and through the recovery phase as further COVID-19 effects on business are identified. The funds will be delivered through two streams: the City stream and the Business Association stream. The City stream will provide matching grants of a maximum of $25,000 per grant to applicants struggling to re-open or pivot their business as a result of COVID-19. The Business Association stream will provide up to $75,000 per grant to applicants who deliver projects or programs that directly support the grant program criteria.

More information on the five tools as well as the grant program’s criteria and application process will be available at edmonton.ca/businessinfo after June 8, 2020. The Edmonton Economic Recovery Grant’s first phase of funding to support reopening businesses is anticipated to begin in mid June, followed by the second phase starting January 2021.

The Economic Recovery Program is part of the City’s ongoing work to support Edmonton's economic recovery, contribute to the community’s vitality and prosperity and drive local job creation.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/businessinfo

Media contact:
Amber Medynski
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-944-7914

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 6:12 PM
Community Guy

City launches environment rebates to help stimulate economy
June 3, 2020

Edmontonians will have more ways to save this summer with the launch of several new environmental rebate programs and tools. Commercial property owners, residential homeowners and transportation enthusiasts can invest in energy efficient upgrades and electric transportation starting today.

“The City of Edmonton is committed to delivering environmental programs that will help generate local economic opportunities and build toward a climate resilient future,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “Residents and businesses can benefit from immediate savings that will help kick start the economy, while also investing in upgrades that can provide long term benefits.”

Through Edmonton’s Strategic Plan, the City is transitioning to a low-carbon future and helping Edmontonians invest in local economic opportunities. The new rebate programs are available starting today.

Commercial Building Upgrades

The Building Energy Retrofit Accelerator (BERA) rebate program facilitates renovations that improve energy efficiency in commercial and institutional buildings. Upgrades to HVAC systems, windows, lighting fixtures, building envelopes and more are eligible for rebates, up to $125,000 per building, per year. Eligible buildings must be larger than 10,000 square feet, located within city limits and have equipment installed from a list of eligible products.

Electric Bikes

The Electric Vehicle Charger and Electric Bike (ECEB) rebate program helps Edmontonians electrify their transportation. Edmontonians interested in purchasing an electric bike (e-bike) can apply for rebates covering 30 per cent of the cost of the e-bike, to a maximum of $750. Applicants must show proof of residency in Edmonton, and e-bikes must be purchased within 60 days of the rebate application.

Electric Vehicle Chargers

Residential and commercial property owners who are interested in installing a Level 2 electric vehicle (EV) charging station in their property can apply for a rebate through the new ECEB rebate program. For residential properties, this rebate will cover 50 per cent of the installed cost of the charger, to a maximum of $600 for existing homes and $300 for new construction (up to one per household). For commercial properties, this rebate will cover 50 per cent of the installed cost of the charger, to a maximum of $2,000 per charger (up to five per company).

Residential Solar Installations

In partnership with Google and MyHeat, Edmonton will be the first municipality in Canada to access a new rooftop solar potential platform. This new tool provides a bird’s eye view of every rooftop and helps homeowners understand their solar potential and the environmental and financial benefits they can expect. Edmontonians ready to go solar are eligible for the Solar Rebate Program to save up to $4,000 towards the installation of a solar electric system for their home.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/environmentalrebates

Media contact:
Ashish Mohan
Communications Advisor
780-999-9428

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:22 PM

I've been thinking about upgrading my existing bike to electric and this grant will make my decision easier.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:10 PM

Solar sounds interesting. Does anyone know how much it would cost overall per sq foot?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 2:27 PM

Interesting that the rebate comes out now. good luck finding a bike of any type right now. e-bikes and e assist are pretty much gone.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:47 AM

I was thinking about buying a replacement tire with the motor built in. You can't buy conversion kits at the store.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 10:43 PM

Went to Lowe’s today. Not much social distancing going on. Before they would allow only a certain amount of buyers in, now it’s wide open.

Will be masking up next time

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Solar sounds interesting. Does anyone know how much it would cost overall per sq foot?
I’ve got a 6.7 kW system and it was $15k ish when the provincial rebate was in place. I think $3/W installed is a good estimate before incentives.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:32 PM

four new/renewed restaurant closures with testing recommended for customers:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-14314f1a1fba/

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:09 AM

A couple of months since this was posted on Gig City but in case you haven't seen this:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 11:12 PM

Great news story and about jobs in Edmonton. BUT those ladies in the picture are NOT wearing masks and shields and they are making this protective gear here in this city.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7149952/p...-edmonton-ppe/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 5:03 AM
Community Guy

Calgary making masks mandatory for interior public spaces.

Expect Edmonton to follow suit next week is my guess.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:57 PM

^ Calgary's hand is almost forced with the huge surge they've had since re-opening. Edmonton and the rest of the province have a much flatter curve. My opinion is unless there is a surge like Calgary, we'll likely stay with current measures (but what do i know!).

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 5:38 PM
Community Guy

Face coverings to be required inside all City buildings, amenities, attractions and on Edmonton Transit
July 23, 2020

The City of Edmonton will require face coverings to be worn indoors at all City-owned and operated buildings, facilities, amenities and attractions effective August 1.

“Our first priority throughout the pandemic has been maintaining everyone’s safety and well-being. Taking this step will help protect the safety of everyone accessing City services, enjoying our facilities or riding on Edmonton Transit,” said Interim City Manager Adam Laughlin.

Face coverings will be required in all publicly accessible spaces in City-owned and operated facilities, attractions and amenities, and while riding on Edmonton Transit. The new measure is being introduced after a careful consideration of public health recommendations and Edmontonians’ views on COVID-19 and face coverings.

Recent survey research of Edmontonians found that 71 per cent feel making masks mandatory would make it more likely for them to use public transit again. The number was even higher—76 per cent—for those who believe masks should be mandatory inside public places.

“Our expectation is everyone will wear a face covering while they’re inside any of these public spaces. Over the coming weeks we will focus on education as Edmontonians adjust to this new requirement,” said Laughlin.

Some exceptions will be allowed, including:
Children under 2
People with underlying medical conditions or disabilities that prevent them from safely wearing a face covering and those who cannot wear or remove one without assistance
People eating or drinking inside public spaces that offer food or beverages
People who are exercising or engaging in athletic activities
Caregivers or those accompanying someone with a disability
People who need to temporarily remove their face covering to provide or receive a service

Over the coming days the City staff will work together and with local and regional partners to ensure this new measure is implemented effectively.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/COVID-19

Media contact:
Kris Berezanski
Senior Communications Advisor
780-720-0715

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 2:24 AM
Community Guy

Council passes bylaw mandating use of face coverings in indoor public places and public vehicles
July 29, 2020

City Council passed a bylaw today mandating the use of face coverings in all indoor public places and public vehicles. The bylaw will come into effect August 1 and will run to the end of the year.

“This bylaw works to strike a balance between encouraging the use of face coverings for everyone’s protection, and understanding that not everyone can wear a face covering,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “We know that wearing a face covering is an important factor in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and we want it to become second nature to Edmontonians.”

Face coverings refers to any medical or non-medical masks or other covering that fully covers the nose, mouth and chin. Indoor public places means any property, whether publicly or privately owned that members of the public can access. This includes retail stores, entertainment venues, recreation centres, restaurants, transit stations and more. Business owners can decide for themselves if they wish to refuse service to patrons not wearing face coverings.

Public vehicles refers to buses, LRT vehicles, taxis and other vehicles for hire. The fine is $100.

Face coverings can be removed when eating or drinking in a designated seating area or as part of a religious or spiritual ceremony, or when engaged in water activities or physical exercise.

There are exceptions to who must wear a face covering in public places. They include those who cannot put one on or remove it without assistance, children under two years of age, people who are unable to wear a face covering because of mental or physical concerns or protected reasons under the Alberta Human Rights Act, and people providing care or assistance to a person with a disability when wearing a face covering would affect that service.

The bylaw does not apply to schools, hospitals and health care facilities, child care facilities or areas where employees - like bus and transit drivers - have a physical barrier between themselves and the public. It also does not apply to areas within a business that are exclusively accessed by employees.

Everyone can help protect themselves and others from COVID-19 by practicing good hygiene, maintaining physical distancing and wearing a face covering in public. Learn more at alberta.ca/prevent-the-spread.

Media contact:
Teresa Marshall
Communications Advisor
780-860-5307

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 4:13 PM

Confirmed: I know nothing.

Say hello to your new main vector of virus transmission: school hallways during class change.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronron View Post
Confirmed: I know nothing.

Say hello to your new main vector of virus transmission: school hallways during class change.
Couple of teacher friends say there are no class changes. Kids stay in the same room and desk for the whole time in school. going to be tough for some kids.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Couple of teacher friends say there are no class changes. Kids stay in the same room and desk for the whole time in school. going to be tough for some kids.
Interesting, and also makes sense that they've factored in the whole class change situation before hand.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronron View Post
Interesting, and also makes sense that they've factored in the whole class change situation before hand.
I think it has to do with limiting kids movement and the need to clean everything after each person leaves a desk. Now they split the classes up. Some kids come in the morning some in the afternoon. or some kids one day others the next.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I think it has to do with limiting kids movement and the need to clean everything after each person leaves a desk. Now they split the classes up. Some kids come in the morning some in the afternoon. or some kids one day others the next.
i think "limiting kids' movement" is a phrase used by people who have never tried to limit kids' movement, never mind up to 30 or more kids.

i also think this focus on classrooms and corridors ignores the elephant outside the school and that's that approximately 50% of alberta's 750,000 students RIDE THE SCHOOL BUS every day to and from school. and not only don't they do that with only their cohort class students, in some cases they do that with students from other other schools and in some cases they even do that with students from other school boards.

and that doesn't take in to account those that take municipal transit or car pool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton