HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 9:50 PM
Community Guy

Awesome This is one of two wee projects I helped get over the finish line.

Reference ID: Job No 370005556-002
Description: To construct exterior alterations to the building (adding stringing lights across the southern sidewalk on 102A Avenue, to connect from the existing light poles to the north facade of the City Centre Mall).
Plan 1194TR Lot B
Applicant: DESIGN, ET CETERA.
Create Date: 8/11/2020 11:02:11 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 4:18 PM
Community Guy

The proposed Back Street off Whyte.

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ck-street.aspx

Project Goals
The space will be designed to align with the Vision and Guiding Principles of Strathcona Neighbourhood Renewal. Goals of the project include:

Create a safe, welcoming, inviting space for gathering and visiting area businesses
Create a greener, cleaner public space that promotes health, happiness and well-being
Design a functional, fully accessible space, considering the needs of all users
Create a more beautiful, all-season space with flexibility in the design for festivals and other events
Retain and reflect the character and history of Old Strathcona

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The proposed Back Street off Whyte.

At least they're honest enough to include dumpsters in the shot. This is doomed to fail. Another example of "I've been to Melbourne, their downtown alleys are amaaaaazing lolz", and completely failing to comprehend what an Edmonton alley in the dead of winter is like. Do they plan to remove snow in the winter?

Awaiting a planner to chime in, claiming the project is "aspirational".

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
At least they're honest enough to include dumpsters in the shot. This is doomed to fail. Another example of "I've been to Melbourne, their downtown alleys are amaaaaazing lolz", and completely failing to comprehend what an Edmonton alley in the dead of winter is like. Do they plan to remove snow in the winter?

Awaiting a planner to chime in, claiming the project is "aspirational".
This alley already has a decent amount of foot traffic actually, so the demand is kind of already there.

I don't remember this alley to ever have any issues with snow. And this memory dates back to my uni days when there was no storefronts facing the Alley like there is now.

Honestly, I would agree with you in most cases but if there was any alley in the City of Edmonton that can support such an idea, it would be this one and can work quite well.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 5:26 PM
Community Guy

Jasper and 100 Street partially complete.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 4:39 PM
A Better Place

The streetscaping work looks great so far.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 1:53 AM

Hard to imagine there is room for a tower behind the park and the hotel.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:01 AM
Community Guy

Perhaps a renewed opportunity to expropriate?

That said, the rezoning will cost'ya.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:06 PM
Community Guy

A few from today along 100st up to Jasper

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:36 PM

^Wouldn't that get all trashed if that development site on the corner gets built out? At most, they should have done something simpler, transitional, and yet durable.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:50 PM
Community Guy

They would stage on the east side of the loop and protect/repair/replace as required.

I am not so sure that we will need to worry about that anyways.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:49 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 8:27 PM
Derp

Nice!
Have fond memories of going to the DQ and the Boston Pizza (both now long gone) on that strip between Fulton Ravine and WGD. Had lots of extended family in that area at one time.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:59 PM

Will there be any uniformity between all the Jasper Ave 'New Vision' projects?
Concrete/stone work looks different than the 101 to 103 St section already.

Are they going to match light fixtures? Ideally I think they should have matched light standards throughout these projects, but not those awful curved ones on the first section (that aren't done yet ).

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:13 PM
Community Guy

97-100 and other phases will loosely match what's already completed, but will not be using the (as you mention) still incomplete curved ones. It is meant to tie-into, but not directly match Imagine Jasper, so as to differentiate between Downtown and Oliver to a certain degree.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 10:37 PM
Community Guy

Share your thoughts on the new Centennial Plaza space:

https://engaged.edmonton.ca/centenni...aredevelopment

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 11:08 PM

^
"While there are elements here that I like, there are some that fail. One of the largest urban failures we have with Rice Howard Way, Judy Padua Way and Shoctor Alley is the lack of any east/west connection between Canada Place and 101st Street. Not only are there misalignments along 101A Avenue and a lack of through traffic in either direction, there is no visual connection either. One of the largest obstructions to that visual connection has been the Molson Amphitheatre and this plan perpetuates that with the fenced in daycare area. That area should be as low and as transparent as possible (i.e. glass rather than solid railings at the edges) to minimize that as much as possible. It should be maintained along Judy Padua Way as well as at the ends so you also have sight-lines from the sidewalk on the south side clear across this plaza to the library. This would make that streetscape sidewalk - which has no transparent urban edges to the Westin - a safer, more open and inviting stretch. I would then move the day care space adjacent to the library where the building would provide shelter from the prevailing north west wind and well as some shelter from the weather underneath the overhang. The locations of the other elements could simply be adjusted to suit. Losing the entrance to the Westin Parking from Rue Hull will be a loss if the ramp at that corner of the plaza can't be integrated without closing it. Tree species haven't been shown but the ones on the south side of Judy Padua Way will be problematic given the lack of sunshine they will get. I hope (a) the tree wells will be generous enough to help compensate for that and (b) that the trees are large enough when first installed to have a good chance for survival (the typical vertical twigs that have been planted in recent years won't have a hope or a prayer)."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 11:21 PM

I don't really care what happens with the Centennial Plaza as long as they get rid of that oversized parkade entrance along 100 St.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 11:26 PM
Community Guy

Not a realistic option at the moment.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Not a realistic option at the moment.
maybe we need to change "take a risk, it's the most edmonton thing you can do" to "not a realistic option at the moment, it's the most edmonton thing you can say".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton