HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:39 AM

Underwhelming is a good way to describe it. Almost makes me long for the parking lot to return...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 10:30 AM
Cap the Cut!

It's as dull as dishwater. I sure hope the bottom is more interesting than the top. If I understand correctly there are instances where you want the setback tower portion of a building to be visually less than the street level portion to enhance or maintain the street level experience. This prominent waterfront location deserves better than this.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I don't think it's turned out as bad as all that--it's fine, it's just underwhelming. A background building, despite its prominent location. A big part of the problem is all that light blue and seafoam. I don't recall any of that in the earlier contrast. I mean, compare and contrast.
The sea foam is a particularly heinous aesthetic decision here, not sure whose idea it was, but they need help.

I'm convinced that almost any other colour would work better here. Black. White. Slate Grey. Bright red, yellow, or orange. Even a richer blue, green, or teal would at least provide some visual contrast.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 6:35 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Looks like a mega taxation office!

From the 70's.
Not enough relief in the bulky design and poor choice of cladding. Perhaps going forward developers should consult this forum for much needed advice.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Not enough relief in the bulky design and poor choice of cladding. Perhaps going forward developers should consult this forum for much needed advice.
Didn't a prominent local developer ask one of the posters here to provide him examples of buildings he had designed so he could study them to improve his own future efforts?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 12:03 PM

Story in the Herald today summarizes the eateries going in here - in short, there are a lot of them:

Quote:
Zoey Boosey expects to employ more than 300 people when she and her business partner Kent Scales open a number of new eateries in Halifax.

The pair now owns Sea Smoke at Bishop’s Landing and two Vandal doughnut shops, one on Gottingen Street and one on Portland Street, and they’ve signed leases for four new projects.

“In the Cunard, we’re opening Asia, a pan-Asian restaurant, a third location of Vandal and we’re also opening a sort of high-end Parisienne café, which will start with breakfast through lunch, afternoon tea, and then cocktails and desserts in the evening,” said Boosey.

Also among the new restaurants at the Cunard Residences will be two by the Bertossi Group, one “an elevated fresh catch and cocktail venue” called Water Polo and the other a Spanish tapas restaurant, plus Tribute, the first bricks-and-mortar restaurant by local chef Colin Bebbington, who will work almost entirely on a wood-fired grill.

When the Cunard Residences open, Southwest Properties will move its offices into that building, and Boosey and Scales have already signed up to build a British pub in the former office space at Bishop’s Landing. That’s a year away.
I have always had trouble getting my head around the appeal of high-end expensive donuts but I'm old.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 3:14 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Story in the Herald today summarizes the eateries going in here - in short, there are a lot of them:

I have always had trouble getting my head around the appeal of high-end expensive donuts but I'm old.

I'm in the same camp. There now exists a huge litany of expensive uselessness that didn't exist when we were younger. But don't mention this in certain company or you'll be chastised. A poster in one of the Canada threads on this site once summed it up in terms something like 'we'll never be able to afford a house so why not spend'. It's generational I suppose. The Grasshopper and the Ant vs. Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth