HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 1:38 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Monticello Park

My inner city neighborhood getting a little love...

(the photo from the story is of a house that a friend of ours just bought...)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ace_quiet.html

Monticello Park offers location, peace, quiet

By Creighton A. Welch - Express-News

Monticello Park is a cozy enclave of art moderne, Spanish eclectic and Gothic revival homes built mostly in the 1920s and 1930s.

The neighborhood, now a designated historic district, has been “up and coming” for years, and there are plenty of reasons why it's a popular place to be.

“Overall, the streets seem to have a stately countenance,” said Joe Barfield, a real estate agent with Keller Williams. “It's a classy 'hood.”

In fact, one of San Antonio's most notable architects, N. Strauss Nayfach, designed a number of the Spanish eclectic homes, and Barfield has organized tours of those.

“The Monticello Park neighborhood has a wide variety of architectural styles typical of an historic area, from the quaint bungalow to the larger estate-style home,” said Ann FitzGibbons, a real estate agent with the Phyllis Browning Co.

Monticello Park, west of Interstate 10 and off Fredericksburg Road, has about 700 homes in the neighborhood at this point. But it's likely to grow in the next few months.

About eight blocks between Lake Boulevard and San Antonio Avenue are scheduled to be annexed into Monticello Park once enough signatures are gathered and the plan passes the Historic Design and Review Commission.

The newest phase, currently known as Woodlawn Terrace, would run all the way to the north side of Woodlawn Avenue.

Most of the houses there are of a similar style and era as the current Monticello Park.

Many of the homes in Monticello Park are smaller than some of the mansions of Monte Vista, but they're “neat old homes with some fascinating architectural features that you would find in mansions,” Barfield said.

And though it might not have the renown of Monte Vista, Monticello Park is on the same page.

“The housing stock is diverse, and the main part of Monticello Park is just as beautiful as Monte Vista,” said Michael Daniels, a real estate agent with King Realtors. “The more exclusive neighborhoods are catalysts for the other neighborhoods improving.”

There are a wide variety of housing options, so there is something for everyone, FitzGibbons said.

The prices range from around $90,000 upwards of $300,000 with a few homes priced above and below, largely depending on the amount of work required.

“The price is dictated by the condition and the amount of updating the home has had,” FitzGibbons said. “It is a great neighborhood if you want an older home to renovate or if you want to move into a home that is already updated.”

Through July of this year, the median sale price has been $207,500, according to the San Antonio Board of Realtors.

“The sales in Monticello have always been stable because the buyers know the neighborhood and want to live in the area, or they are from the area and want to stay,” FitzGibbons said.

Currently, 28 homes are for sale, Barfield said. In the past six months, there have been seven closings, and four sales are pending.

The neighborhood for years has been a place to go for bargains and for finding homes that might require some remodeling.

“There still are some bargains out there,” Daniels said. “There are some good properties, and you just have to keep your eyes open.”

The intriguing homes alone are a draw, but so are the nearby amenities.

“The neighborhood is attractive for a number of reasons,” FitzGibbons said. “It is very convenient to downtown, major highways, the Medical Center and shopping. The neighborhood itself, with Woodlawn Lake, is a great place for walking, picnics and of course the fireworks.”

She said there's no typical homeowner, but that there is a wide range of people living in the area.

“You have the older folks who have lived there for decades who are amazed at how expensive their taxes have become. Then you have their kids, the young professionals and the blue collar workers,” Daniels said. “And there's a lot of new blood and a lot of people looking for the quality construction of older houses.”

It's also seen as a destination for those who want a place that's almost like a retreat.

“Strangely, the folks that buy in Monticello are somewhat conservative, not necessarily politically,” Barfield said. “As I think of the families we moved into Monticello Park, the list is populated with many who like their privacy and peace.”

But it's an easy neighborhood to get around, with an H-E-B and a variety of restaurants and shops nearby and Interstate 10 just a skip away.

“One of the biggest secrets to me about living in inner city is that basically there's no traffic,” Daniels said. “For the most part, it's so peaceful.”

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post

“One of the biggest secrets to me about living in inner city is that basically there's no traffic,” Daniels said. “For the most part, it's so peaceful.”
That's great.
I've actually been looking for a home in the neighborhood. Proximity to DT is great and I think that with time, the whole area from Monticello to Government Hill is going to become a great extension of DT.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 6:45 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

We've been here a year and a half and we absolutely love it.

And since we moved in, 13 friends of ours have been convinced by our experience and now live in the neighborhood as well!!

The neighborhood really sells itself.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 4:01 AM
Meh

Looks nice. Congrats on moving there. I remembered your description of it when you first came back, that really is nice.

And yeah, the traffic thing is a curious one. Most older established neighborhoods right inside the city have little to no traffic. A lot of those older neighborhoods are surrounded by more major streets that divert all the traffic away from the neighborhoods. Also a lot of people there walk or bike where they go, or at the most might have a scooter or something. Those nearby major streets also tend to have some very handy businesses which are close enough to get to on foot or on a bike. Plus with established tree canopies, it also encourages people to get out and walk or bike instead. My mom grew up in a 3-story house in Travis Heights in South Central Austin just 2 blocks east of Congress Avenue. You could be in downtown on a bicycle in 5 minutes or patronize the shops on South Congress in a minute or two by foot. It's amazing, and that was in the 60s. We went by there recently and I noticed there's actually a view of downtown from the frontyard of her old house. After my grandpa died in the late 50s in a car accident, my grandma sold the place and her and the kids moved farther south in Austin. Now days I wonder what things might have been had they stayed there. It's the biggest house in the neighborhood, but could totally use some work.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 3:19 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Looks nice. Congrats on moving there. I remembered your description of it when you first came back, that really is nice.

And yeah, the traffic thing is a curious one. Most older established neighborhoods right inside the city have little to no traffic. A lot of those older neighborhoods are surrounded by more major streets that divert all the traffic away from the neighborhoods. Also a lot of people there walk or bike where they go, or at the most might have a scooter or something. Those nearby major streets also tend to have some very handy businesses which are close enough to get to on foot or on a bike. Plus with established tree canopies, it also encourages people to get out and walk or bike instead. My mom grew up in a 3-story house in Travis Heights in South Central Austin just 2 blocks east of Congress Avenue. You could be in downtown on a bicycle in 5 minutes or patronize the shops on South Congress in a minute or two by foot. It's amazing, and that was in the 60s. We went by there recently and I noticed there's actually a view of downtown from the frontyard of her old house. After my grandpa died in the late 50s in a car accident, my grandma sold the place and her and the kids moved farther south in Austin. Now days I wonder what things might have been had they stayed there. It's the biggest house in the neighborhood, but could totally use some work.
Thanks Kevin. Inner-city hoods are wonderful. And there is no traffic. Takes me 14 minutes to go 15 miles to my suburban office and took me 12 minutes to get to the courthouse last week ON THE BUS. Public transport with no transfers in 12 minutes. Tell me light rail wouldn't be a beautiful thing here...

We walk to dinner a few nights a week and are finally getting a coffee shop opening up soon. Google "Brown Coffee Co" to check it out. I have considered installing a bike rack at the house as well (for Kevin's convenience of course), as we have a guest house where a friend lives and we regularly have 4 or 5 bikes parked in the back yard with people coming and going.

Most people moving in are young, white-collar folks. Our friends include 2 teachers, 1 PT, 1 architect, 2 social workers, 1 salesman, 1 nurse, 1 banker, and another guy in corporate law. This place is blowing up with young families and a few empty nesters looking to get closer to cultural center.

I really think that Hildebrand will one day be the cultural connector of the city. I imagine Monticello Park, Beacon Hill, Olmos Park, Alamo Heights all being connected by an east-west streetcar on Hildebrand.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 4:38 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAkyle04
(for Kevin's convenience of course),

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAkyle04
and we regularly have 4 or 5 bikes parked in the back yard with people coming and going.
That's awesome. There are some new houses that were built recently near our neighborhood in what used to be a semi-wooded area. They're cute little bungalows on a quiet street. They look a little too cookie-cutterish for my liking, but they are doing a few things right. One is having bike racks near the curb throughout the neighborhood. I was really kind of surprised when I saw them. Not all of the houses had them, so I assumed they must have been something the buyers could opt for.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 1:10 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

That's awesome. There are some new houses that were built recently near our neighborhood in what used to be a semi-wooded area. They're cute little bungalows on a quiet street. They look a little too cookie-cutterish for my liking, but they are doing a few things right. One is having bike racks near the curb throughout the neighborhood. I was really kind of surprised when I saw them. Not all of the houses had them, so I assumed they must have been something the buyers could opt for.
That is an incredible idea!! I would spring for a few if I could sprinkle them throughout the neighborhood and near the bus stops.

I wonder where one would go to find used bike racks...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio