HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:34 AM

I thought I heard or read that the city council scaled back the power of the Historic design committee, because they were impeding projects.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Because the San Antonio City Council allowed them to have that power.
Even if they did have that power, which I'm not buying, they would have a reason for doing so. Even if it was something like casting shadows on the Alamo, but I'm sure that's not the case. It had everything to do with what the developer realistically believed was feasible in order build this thing in the first place.

The review commission certainly asked them to be more considerate of the area. The old design was certainly not great. Those fins were cartoon like. The new design is not great. The east side of the building kind of reminds me a little of the Staybridge. Hopefully it will make people look past the La Quinta and Residence Inn doldrums on that side of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:49 AM
Meh

There's no way those buildings at 292 feet tall would have casted shadows on the Alamo or the Riverwalk. Heck, there's taller buildings closer to the Alamo just across I-37. So I doubt shadows had anything to do with their resizing.

I don't know, I see the design commission as being a barrier to positive growth and design.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
There's no way those buildings at 292 feet tall would have casted shadows on the Alamo or the Riverwalk. Heck, there's taller buildings closer to the Alamo just across I-37. So I doubt shadows had anything to do with their resizing.

I don't know, I see the design commission as being a barrier to positive growth and design.
Exactly, so why would they say make it shorter? 3 stories? It makes no sense to say their input made the building shorter. That's just not realistic.

I don't see them as a barrier, but I do think they have tended to dull down some buildings. If anything, I think the city should have demanded more from developers and never allow buildings like La Quinta or the Residence Inn to end up looking like they do. The designs proposed for San Antonio have been pretty mediocre if anything.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:12 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Who says the HDRC made anyone reduce the height. They probably just made them change the design not the height, the height change could have realisitically been the developers decision. I read they changed.added floor plans and made them wider which could have affected the overall height.

Maybe the developers of Vidorra have dropped the idea of twin buildings and instead will do Vidorra as all residential and then a slender/taller mixed-use building next to it. Who knows.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:24 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

BTW, the city council not only reduce the number of committee members on the HDRC but also reduced their power

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:16 PM
Endless Moments...

There is so many different zoning areas all around the city. You cross the street and you have totally different restrictions. Unless someone is actually sitting in on these meetings and can tell us first hand what was discussed, we can only guess. I do think the HDRC was a hurdle to some proposals. I am glad that the number has been scaled down, maybe we can get some new stuff out there. Until then...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:22 PM

I need to know how to get involved. san antonio need the change

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio