HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

555 Washington in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:53 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Solution: Don't let 'em "value engineer" it. Make 'em build it like it's approved, including the color of the glass.

I too am pretty upset at the notion that Trinity Place might be allowed to replace some of the metal facade panels with precast concrete (suggested by John King in his article on that building). The Planning Dept. should routinely "just say no" to such changes after approval is given.
I couldn't agree with you more. Time after time, projects here and elsewhere get VE'd to the point where the community is stuck with a finished building that doesn't look like what was proposed or approved. I really think it should be illegal. Examples that come to mind (both recent and "ancient"):

> One Hawthorne was stripped down to a glass and concrete box with an over sized mechanical penthouse.

> Argenta is a joke, even when compared to the scaled down rendering issued after the good original one. From my viewpoint on Twin Peaks, it is the worst of the new projects--a two-tone cheap box constructed amongst its ugly neighbors. The whole collection is entirely unworthy to be next to Civic Center and across Market from the Mart.

> Ritz-Carlton Residences - Enough was previously said about that cheap box stuck on top of a fabulous Burnham facade restoration.

> Intercontinental Hotel - Another one of our fun threads while it was active! It looks nothing like its rendering, was vilified by many (including me) and turns its back on downtown. Perversely, it now looks bright and interesting from my viewpoint up here.

> San Francisco Marriott - A sham foisted upon the City for its main convention hotel at Moscone Center. Polished granite was limited to the lower floors while a cheap composite material was substituted above. They've paid a price ever since as the equally cheap black window frames have bled black streaks that have marred the fake stucco panels (or whatever they are). The whole thing is a giant POS imo. The City should never prostitute itself by not demanding the highest standards for the most desirable projects and locations.

> 525 Market - This huge shoebox with its giant floor plates was allowed to add three additional floors of height in exchange for a direct connection to the BART/Metro station. The floors were built; the connection wasn't.

You get the picture...

Trinity Place must be built as originally approved, especially considering its massive size. Other controversial projects must also be built to high standards or San Francisco will end up with ugly to mediocre buildings in the wrong locations yet again.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:04 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Interesting thoughts, viewguy. I agree with you and BT on the bait and switch concerns. The city needs to put a stop to that, especially on something as high profile as this.

I hadn't really thought about the views from the east, but agree that's a very important consideration. Here are a couple of views of the Pyramid from TI. 555 won't quite come up to the bottom of the elevator shaft punch-outs:

Source: PlanetWare.

Source: Flickr user canbalci

Personally, I don't think this will be tall enough to diminish the effect of the Pyramid on the skyline from that angle. It looks to me like less than half of it will be blocked around the bottom with part of the lower floors still visible to the side of 555. But in my opinion the most dynamic part of the Pyramid is everything above that, which will still be untouched.

I understand your viewpoint though. This is an incremental encroachment on the view of the Pyramid. You might feel like we're suffering death from a thousand cuts. I can relate to that much better than the fears of shadows on parks (for a matter of minutes a day on a small piece of the parks) or "the established values of traditional San Francisco" which is code for never change anything, anywhere.
Thanks peanut (although one of your views disappeared). I know this is a personal opinion as well as memory for me, but try to look at the Pyramid when approaching the Bay Bridge maze in the East Bay, heading for the bridge. The structure looks magical, like the great city of Oz is in the distance. I realize that some or many of you will think its crazy to sacrifice new construction for something like this, but it is what makes San Francisco so very special among the cities of the world.

It's also a constant irritant to me that the powers to be at the time didn't allow Transamerica to build the Pyramid to its originally proposed great height, but we need to protect what we have.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:32 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
It's also a constant irritant to me that the powers to be at the time didn't allow Transamerica to build the Pyramid to its originally proposed great height, but we need to protect what we have.
Oh man, I can't tell you how many times I've imagined the Pyramid at 1000' and Embarcadero 4 at 800' for that matter. The Pyramid would be even more slender looking at that height, and having those two additional peaks on the skyline would do a lot to minimize the 600' flat-top that is the rest of the FiDi.

I hear you on the views from around the Maze. I like the views along the new Cypress connector with the city demanding to be noticed from behind the cranes, ships and containers of the Port of Oakland. It's an amazing interaction of industrial might and the shining city in the distance, with the Pyramid as crown over all of it.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:37 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Oh man, I can't tell you how many times I've imagined the Pyramid at 1000' and Embarcadero 4 at 800' for that matter. The Pyramid would be even more slender looking at that height, and having those two additional peaks on the skyline would do a lot to minimize the 600' flat-top that is the rest of the FiDi.
The original plan for the Pyramid that Transamerica wanted to build was 1,150'!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Yeah, I should have said 1000'+. I knew it was over, but didn't recall the exact number. What could have been...sigh.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 9:01 AM
Green Berniecrat

So I take it this new "delay" is a sign of what is to come? A part of me, while very much wanting it to go up, would rather see the developer just pull out. Me thinks the Board of Supervisors is far as it will get unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 3:42 AM

From sfexaminer.com

Shadows can fall on parks from 555 Washington condo tower
By: JOHN UPTON

03/18/10 6:14 PM PDT
The proposed 555 Washington condo tower near the Transamerica Pyramid will be allowed to cast shadows on surrounding parks, city officials ruled Thursday.
The shadowing effect of the corkscrew condo tower had been fiercely opposed by some neighbors and other residents.
But the Planning Commission voted 4-3 Thursday to allow the shadows to fall on the parks. The ruling could be appealed to the Board of Supervisors.
The vote followed an earlier successful ruling for the developers, when commissioners narrowly agreed to certify the project’s environmental analysis, which is required under California law.
Commissioners plan to meet again April 15 to continue deliberations related to the project.
Commissioners Hisashi Sugaya, Kathrin Moore and Christina Olague voted against allowing the shadows. The same commissioners also voted against certifying the environmental impact report.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 4:53 PM
testify

this baby feels like it's going ahead. i'm still not too thrilled about how it meets the street (we need retail at grade), and the parking issues, but hopefully that gets sorted out in the final planning meeting in april. otherwise: build, baby, build!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thursday, March 18, 2010, 3:30pm PDT | Modified: Friday, March 19, 2010, 5:08am
Proposed S.F. condo tower, 555 Washington, clears hurdle
San Francisco Business Times

Plans to build a 248-unit tower next to the Transamerica Pyramid passed a significant hurdle March 18 as the San Francisco Planning Commission approved the Environmental Impact Report for the project.

The commission approved the EIR for 555 Washington on a 4-3 vote. The vote is just one of a series of votes that the Planning Commission will make on the controversial project. Several other votes dealing with design of the tower were delayed until April . . . .
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...5/daily71.html

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 6:10 AM
Green Berniecrat

This is great news! It looks like it was pretty close, but it's gone through. Maybe a tad off topic, but I'm thinking if they made an exception for this one, maybe they can make an exception for Transbay?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
This is great news! It looks like it was pretty close, but it's gone through. Maybe a tad off topic, but I'm thinking if they made an exception for this one, maybe they can make an exception for Transbay?
Given the makeup of the Commission, that would appear to be a given.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:45 AM
Only Mostly Dead

This thread should really have a shot of the current occupant of the site:

No idea what it's like inside, but from the street it's a nice-looking building. Clean lines, simple detailing. I didn't really care for the awnings at first, but they've grown on me.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:12 PM

I's much rather see a taller glass tower on the site though

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:24 PM
BANNED

To my eyes, the existing building is "undistinguished" and while it isn't offensive, I won't mind seeing it be replaced by what is proposed.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 2:07 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I couldn't agree more with both of you. Nothing against the existing building, but I'd much rather see that twisting beauty in its place.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 6:49 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I couldn't agree more with both of you. Nothing against the existing building, but I'd much rather see that twisting beauty in its place.
Not me! This is one highrise that I oppose because of its proximity to the Pyramid. I like the design of the building so far, but put it elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 7:08 AM
BANNED

IMHO San Francisco needs to get over pyramid worship. If we build a TransBay tower that's taller and put this thing next to it, both will help. Right now, though, we are still in the "Oh, you can't build anything taller, near, impairing the view of . . . the pyramid." Why not? It's what, an ~45 year old building?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 3:49 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
IMHO San Francisco needs to get over pyramid worship. If we build a TransBay tower that's taller and put this thing next to it, both will help. Right now, though, we are still in the "Oh, you can't build anything taller, near, impairing the view of . . . the pyramid." Why not? It's what, an ~45 year old building?
That's not my point at all, as evidenced by my previous points here and elsewhere. I've wanted a stunning tower taller than the Pyramid for years; I even wanted a taller Pyramid! What I don't want is to loose the fantastic "Land of Oz" view from the East Bay and elsewhere with the south contour of the Pyramid exposed from top to bottom. It's dramatic and no other city has it. I'm not willing to loose it without a fight--put the building elsewhere. If we loose this tower, we loose it; it's only another luxury condo tower anyway. Keep building skyscrapers South of Market and in a few other places within the City, but not next to the Transamerica Pyramid.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 4:18 AM
Have No Fear

Yeah I agree. I would prefer more development on South of Market. The Pyramid completely exposed is one the aspects makes the skyline so unique.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 6:45 AM
BANNED

Well, we are on opposite sides of this one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive