HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 2:24 AM
Only Mostly Dead

They are seeking an extension to come back before Planning.

Quote:
Mayor Ed Lee wants more time for Fairmont Hotel condo deal
By: Brent Begin 03/13/11
Examiner Staff Writer

The owners of the iconic Fairmont Hotel might receive an extension on a controversial plan to replace 23 stories of hotel rooms atop Nob Hill with luxury condominiums.

Mayor Ed Lee is asking the Board of Supervisors to extend a deadline that already passed in November, allowing the owners of the Fairmont Hotel — current home of the famed Tonga Room Tiki bar — more time to get approval from the Planning Commission. Board of Supervisors President David Chiu, whose district includes the Fairmont, has resisted introducing the legislation himself because of union concerns.
Read more at the San Francisco Examiner.

With the hotel union lining up with neighbors against it, I'm not holding my breath.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 8:51 PM

If the redesign was actually compelling I would be sad that this isn't likely to pass, but as it stands, I am more than fine with the old tower.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 10:37 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Me too. The podium was a nice improvement over what's there now, but the tower was a big snoozefest.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:53 PM
Sonoma Strong

Dead

officially dead:

Quote:
S.F. Fairmont Hotel condo plan collapses

Phillip Matier,Andrew Ross
San Francisco Chronicle April 17, 2011 04:00 AM

A last-ditch attempt at a deal to allow San Francisco's Fairmont Hotel to go part-condo has collapsed.

An investment group that includes a Saudi prince and Oakland A's managing partner Lew Wolff spent the better part of two years trying to win City Hall approval of a plan to replace the newer tower portion of the hotel with condos.

After months of talks, everyone met at the Fairmont, and the developers presented their plans to more than 300 hotel workers. The workers promptly voted thumbs-down.

Neither Mayor Ed Lee nor Board of Supervisors President (and mayoral contender) David Chiu, whose district includes the Fairmont, was willing to get involved further....
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1JtVrjpRw

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:41 PM

This is the first time I can say that I am glad a project didn't happen.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 6:29 PM
Only Mostly Dead

If they try again or sell to someone else who does, maybe they'll revisit the design. I certainly hope so.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 9:54 PM

Yeah it wasn't the best design. I LOVE the idea though. Probably the best thing would have been to replace the podium and include street access store fronts rather than the current fortress-like wall.

I think any proposal would have to be an instant classic to make it through the approval process. I honestly don't understand why people are so adamantly opposed to new towers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive