HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Maybe we can make a nod to our British cousins and our American neighbours and call it the Freeway Motorway (or the Motorway Freeway, whatever you prefer).

I'm good, in all seriousness, with the idea of the stub of Highway 11 from the bypass to north Regina being called Highway 11A. There is Canadian precedent for older highway sections being renumbered this way (1A near Calgary and the separate section of 1A in Banff National Park come to mind).
This is fine with me, but I have my doubts it will happen.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 6:26 PM

I'm quite surprised they haven't said already how the naming is going to go.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 7:06 PM

There is a #16A in Yorkton and #16B in N. Battleford (there was once a #16A that was decommissioned).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
There is a #16A in Yorkton and #16B in N. Battleford (there was once a #16A that was decommissioned).
This is true. There are also very old, weatherbeaten signs on Moose Jaw’s Athabasca St. E. that say 1 Alternate. My guess is that Sask. Highways may internally designate it 11A or something like that but leave up the existing 11 signs.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 12:33 AM

I seriously think that there is no plan to redesignate anything. And if it it were it wouldn't be by the Bypass builders but rather the City of Regina and Highways.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I seriously think that there is no plan to redesignate anything. And if it it were it wouldn't be by the Bypass builders but rather the City of Regina and Highways.
It’s outside city limits. City of Regina has zero say. And that stretch of highway is not part of the project, so the bypass partners also have zero say. So it’s Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure, which divides every highway up into control sections designated “x-y” in which x is the highway number and y is the section number. I don’t know how many control sections that stretch comprises, but it starts with “11-1”. That may or may not change but it will continue to be called something internally.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Highway 11 signs are up between Hill Ave, and #1 on the west part of the bypass. They can't have two highway 11's going south, so something will have to change.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Highway 11 signs are up between Hill Ave, and #1 on the west part of the bypass. They can't have two highway 11's going south, so something will have to change.
Well they did call it Regina City Centre and the highway 11 sign will be posted directing south on 11 towards Moose Jaw later. Will have to wait and see but suspect it will be a while before we see a physical change on the existing roadway.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Well they did call it Regina City Centre and the highway 11 sign will be posted directing south on 11 towards Moose Jaw later. Will have to wait and see but suspect it will be a while before we see a physical change on the existing roadway.
They don’t intend that to be the name of the road. It’s just telling people the can get to Regina and the city centre that way.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:32 PM

Why is there an extra segment for lanes on the south end of the Highway 11 overpass? Future eastbound loop for a future north leg of the Bypass?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Why is there an extra segment for lanes on the south end of the Highway 11 overpass? Future eastbound loop for a future north leg of the Bypass?

Appears to be apart of the long term vision of the bypass for the NE portion.
http://saskbuilds.ca/projects/Regina...20Version).pdf

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Woah all the well-known prairie cities are getting full-fledged ring freeway.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city rep View Post
Appears to be apart of the long term vision of the bypass for the NE portion.
http://saskbuilds.ca/projects/Regina...20Version).pdf
The proposed signage at the Pinkie interchange just says "Ring Road" with no 1A designation. The signage at the #11 interchange just says "City Centre" with no 11A.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
The proposed signage at the Pinkie interchange just says "Ring Road" with no 1A designation. The signage at the #11 interchange just says "City Centre" with no 11A.
Yup and that is what has been put up.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Yup and that is what has been put up.
I know what the signs say. I know you all have common sense and understand that the simplest, most likely explanation is that “City Centre” is referring to the destination. If it was the name of the road it would have “Road” or literally any other suffix. My guess is that it simply hasn’t occurred to MHI that if the West Bypass (which is not their jurisdiction) becomes Highway 11, then the old highway will have to be called something else. They have a year to figure it out.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Woah all the well-known prairie cities are getting full-fledged ring freeway.
Except Winnipeg, of course, which has tons of at-grade intersections on our ring road. The irony is we built our ring road first, of any city in Canada. We never have found the money to upgrade it to limited access.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:51 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Except Winnipeg, of course, which has tons of at-grade intersections on our ring road. The irony is we built our ring road first, of any city in Canada. We never have found the money to upgrade it to limited access.
Give it another 20~30 years.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Isn't it more a case of never having found the political will to upgrade the road? After all this time money is definitely not the issue.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Regina will actually have 2. The original Ring Road which is all grade separations 3/4 the way around but is now almost entirely in the City limits and made it and the new Regina Bypass, much further out.

The last 1/4 - the west leg of the Ring Road - Lewvan Expressway, ended up have at-grade crossings and it was demoted to a Drive form an Expressway.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 8:14 PM

Dewdney Avenue is now open again!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan