HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 5:04 PM

Its looking really great!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 4:38 PM
Here and There

Finally someone with some constructive use of SSP and some great examples of urban beaches. I guess I just thought most people were aware of some of the great urban beaches in cities around the world, hence my "arrogant post".........

Calgary has a great river and we need some great spaces to sit and admire and contemplate the natural beauty. Cities need large gathering spaces so there is somewhere to gather, relax and people watch. The space in prince's Island Park is good, but there is no view of the beautiful bow river or a place to comfortably sit along the banks.

Like I said though, it is already happening through other city projects and AMAZING proposals from very talented senior landscape architects, so nothing really to worry about for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdurden5573 View Post
I think this could be a very cool public space if developed properly. Wish it had some cafe or bar to actually draw people to hang out at the river.

I was really impressed by the 'Beach Bar' that Berlin has right outside its main train station downtown, very good use of space along the river:

Would love for Calgary to actually create some world class public spaces, with the River Walk I feel like we are getting there.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:41 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Would love to see specific examples that could work in Calgary. Do share!
Reykjavik provides a nice example of what can be done in colder climates with Nauthólsvík Geothermal Beach.

Quote:
Nauthólsvík Geothermal Beach

In Iceland the sea is normally far too cold to tempt swimmers, but at Nautholsvik bay in Reykjavik, a thermal beach has been created, where natural hot water flows out into the sea, and you can frolic in the waves as if you were in the Mediterranean!

In the summer of 2000 the Geothermal beach in Nauthólsvík was opened. Golden beach sand was braught in from and big seawalls were build which form a lagoon where the cold sea and hot geothermal water fuse together. The goal with this project was to make this bay, Nauthólsvík, a diverse outdoor area with numerous possibilities as, for example, sunbathing, seabathing and sailing.

A service center provides changing rooms, hot showers and possibility to buy hot drinks and chocolate among other things. A big hot tub is in front of the service center which is, in average, 38°C hot. The beach is very popular in the summertime and is progressively becoming a hit in the wintertime as well.
The sea temperature has been known to become around -1,8°C during the coldest months and around 16°C in the summertime. Average temperature is 4°- 6°C in the winter and 12°- 13°C in the summer.

The temperature of the sea inside the lagoon itself is a bit higher in the summer, average 15°- 19°C, as it is heated up with geothermal heat. In the wintertime this hot water that sometimes runs into the lagoon does not make any difference for the temperature.

Source: VisitReykjavik.is

Source: IcelandViking.com

Source: AmusingPlanet.com

“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:44 PM
ARTchitecture

That's pretty awesome! I remember seeing a pretty cool photo of Saskatoon's skyline taken from one of their busy beaches... apparently they have naturally occuring beaches on their riverbanks.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 8:07 PM
Snarkotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
And here is the number one reason why Calgary can be so boring. People afraid of a little beach flash mob and a couple loads of sand or pea gravel to sit on.

I think you may be one of the most arrogant a-holes in Calgary.

"Beach" is a very loose term in the landscape architecture industry and would fit in just fine in Calgary. We already have a few areas that I already call a beach in Calgary anyway, I will be visiting all of them this summer. Our goal as landscape architects is to make them better.

Anyone else have a problem with a better place to sit along the river edge in the summer?

Lol, some people really get obnoxious when the weather is gloomy.

My Toronto buddies thought my idea was awesome by the way. A city where they actually understand the value of landscape architecture.
Why thank you for the compliment. You should know that I deeply appreciate your brilliant contributions to the forum, chiefly those which propose constructions which seek to damage watersheds, violate environmental laws and regulations, completely disregard the history and nature of the proposed site, and ignore the realities and constraints of our fast-flowing river. Though I wonder; are you completely certain that you couldn't make a more valuable contribution to the city and people of Toronto? Please, consider relocating. I'm sure even the mayor would appreciate the pleasure of your company. You could share an 8ball!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 8:12 PM
Here and There

haha, whatever bud, that wasnt a compliment. Maybe I will move, along with the other half million people trying to find something fun to do on the weekends in this fucking city. I try to get out every weekend and do something relaxing around the city and starting to get a bit bored. We need something crazy and interesting to keep the young ones out of trouble. Im just thinking of ideas. Please start sharing a few idea.....or do you have any at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Cypress View Post
Why thank you for the compliment. You should know that I deeply appreciate your brilliant contributions to the forum, chiefly those which propose constructions which seek to damage watersheds, violate environmental laws and regulations, completely disregard the history and nature of the proposed site, and ignore the realities and constraints of our fast-flowing river. Though I wonder; are you completely certain that you couldn't make a more valuable contribution to the city and people of Toronto? Please, consider relocating. I'm sure even the mayor would appreciate the pleasure of your company. You could share an 8ball!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 8:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
haha, whatever bud, that wasnt a compliment. Maybe I will move, along with the other half million people trying to find something fun to do on the weekends in this fucking city. I try to get out every weekend and do something relaxing around the city and starting to get a bit bored. We need something crazy and interesting to keep the young ones out of trouble. Im just thinking of ideas. Please start sharing a few idea.....or do you have any at all?
I've got an idea! How about not fixing the water problems in the downtown condo towers and just leave the underground parkades flooded. Bring in some sand and maybe a wave machine and you're done!

Regarding Riise's examples, some of those are interesting. From my perspective, however, the better ones are really not urban at all. The urban ones, to my eyes, look a little awkward. Personally I find the beach as Calgary's very own Sikome Lake quite decent.
http://www.familyfuncalgary.com/sikome-lake/

Of course, there are numerous community beaches throughout Calgary, such as the one in the Mayor's area:
http://www.coralspringscalgary.ca/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2279320...57621478215340

Anyway, I'm not sure why KW and others keep on talking about beaches here in the Poppy Plaza thread. Probably more appropriate in the urban vs suburban thread - an amenity that does not exist in the core that they'd really like to have (like a superstore home depot or costco).

Last edited by suburbia; Jun 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
I've got an idea! How about not fixing the water problems in the downtown condo towers and just leave the underground parkades flooded. Bring in some sand and maybe a wave machine and you're done!
That beats my idea. I was going to suggest a tank of helium and a dry cleaner bag.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 9:32 PM
Here and There

I consider poppy plaza to be a great addition to the city and it inspired me to look at other opportunities to bring life and excitement to the riverbank.

Yay, fun.

Sikome Lake? That is built for a city of 500,000 and it is jam packed. I love the idea of it. We need something like this in the inner city. The other lakes and beaches in the city are private. They are actually REALLY nice places to go but you need to be invited.

I have recently discovered costco. yes, it's true. I would LOVE an urban format costco if it actually existed.

Anyway, poppy plaza at night.....simply beautiful.

Quote:

Regarding Riise's examples, some of those are interesting. From my perspective, however, the better ones are really not urban at all. The urban ones, to my eyes, look a little awkward. Personally I find the beach as Calgary's very own Sikome Lake quite decent.
http://www.familyfuncalgary.com/sikome-lake/

Of course, there are numerous community beaches throughout Calgary, such as the one in the Mayor's area:
http://www.coralspringscalgary.ca/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2279320...57621478215340

Anyway, I'm not sure why KW and others keep on talking about beaches here in the Poppy Plaza thread. Probably more appropriate in the urban vs suburban thread - an amenity that does not exist in the core that they'd really like to have (like a superstore home depot or costco).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 9:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I consider poppy plaza to be a great addition to the city and it inspired me to look at other opportunities to bring life and excitement to the riverbank.

Yay, fun.

Sikome Lake? That is built for a city of 500,000 and it is jam packed. I love the idea of it. We need something like this in the inner city.
Weren't they thinking of a beach in the St Patrick's Island plan that was somewhat in the middle of the island and protected from the river flow? I'd be alright with that. The other examples that I've seen within urban areas destroy the river, and look frankensteinish.

Quote:
The other lakes and beaches in the city are private. They are actually REALLY nice places to go but you need to be invited.
Valid point. They are the results of a community-level HOAs and thus are like a condo amenities. It is a good model (just as condos are a good model) not only in that you get superior amenities, but like we're hoping for with developers paying for fair share of utility costs, these community-level amenities are paid for by those who use them. There is something to be said for shared amenities facilitated by the public purse, but there is a balance to be had. Too many leeches with their hand out leaves the city bankrupt. Perhaps the beach at St Partick's should have a pay per use of some sort?

Last edited by suburbia; Jun 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 10:15 PM
Here and There

I just want somewhere to sit, along the edge of the river, in an urban context, with hundreds of people. Sometimes it is great to be surrounded by people, sometimes, not so much...... Im glad that some of the new developments offer this. The river is so beautiful and calming, im sure there is a way to incorporate fun without destruction. It would be great if they could do something along the edge of princes island park instead of those rough boulders. Those are quite hard to relax (or walk) on. The boulder steps along the east village river walk are perfect.

Quote:
Weren't they thinking of a beach in the St Patrick's Island plan that was somewhat in the middle of the island and protected from the river flow? I'd be alright with that. The other examples that I've seen within urban areas destroy the river, and look frankensteinish.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 3:55 PM

Quote:
I just want somewhere to sit, along the edge of the river, in an urban context, with hundreds of people. Sometimes it is great to be surrounded by people, sometimes, not so much...... Im glad that some of the new developments offer this. The river is so beautiful and calming, im sure there is a way to incorporate fun without destruction. It would be great if they could do something along the edge of princes island park instead of those rough boulders. Those are quite hard to relax (or walk) on. The boulder steps along the east village river walk are perfect.
Agreed. There should be far more accessible places to enjoy the river other than from the top of the bank starring through the thickets. RiverWalk is a good standard to follow for other key areas (Edworthy, Mission, Prince's Island, Montgomery etc.).

The access points don't have to be everywhere, just a few key areas that people can enjoy and relax and read a book kinda thing.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 7:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, one of the sections of St. Patrick's island is to be a beach. There's actually 5 or 6 distinct areas as part of the island redevelopment. Very interesting project with lots of potential.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 2:30 AM
ARTchitecture

I wonder how the Plaza fared through the disaster...?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 5:23 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I wonder how the Plaza fared through the disaster...?
It looked fine when I visited today. The part adjacent to the river was still submerged but the plaza itself looked perfectly intact.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
It looked fine when I visited today. The part adjacent to the river was still submerged but the plaza itself looked perfectly intact.
The water never reached the plaza itself. There may be some damage to the sections closer to the water, but I doubt it. Core-ten steel is designed to get wet. And of course, like so many other places in the city, there may be (probably is) some hidden damage to subsurface structures and underlayers.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 3:43 AM

Stopped by Poppy plaza today, it's fine, no damage that I could see. I think the city did a really great job with it, and they installed anti skateboarding things on all the benches and ledges.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 12:25 AM
ARTchitecture

Showed some buddy's from Vancouver the Plaza the night before last. Was my first time there at night and wow is it ever gorgeous! They were really impressed.

Neither of them had ever been here, and just the things I showed them in the 2 days they were here completely altered their perceptions of the city. One of them said he'd even move here. Was more of just a "I would move here" not "I'm going to move here," still cool though!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:14 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Showed some buddy's from Vancouver the Plaza the night before last. Was my first time there at night and wow is it ever gorgeous! They were really impressed.

Neither of them had ever been here, and just the things I showed them in the 2 days they were here completely altered their perceptions of the city. One of them said he'd even move here. Was more of just a "I would move here" not "I'm going to move here," still cool though!
All the new faces on Growlr must be your efforts. Thanks

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 7:35 PM
ARTchitecture

lmao, what? No, all of my friends in Vancouver are straight. I don't use any of those apps anyways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues