HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 11:15 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
Personally I find the mere mention of "World Class city" nauseating. You know what all "World Class cities" have in common? THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT BEING "WORLD CLASS", THEY JUST ARE.
I was only using the term "World Class" because the city often uses it when talking about their aspirations, which I feel are affected by these rules. While cities like London and New York may not use the term when making decisions, they are most certainly paying a lot of attention at what is going on in cities like Paris and Tokyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
I think its too bad they closed down, but I'd hardly say this is make or break for us as a city to join the "worldly" ranks. It's not the city's decision to revoke their license, its the province. Can hardly blame Calgary for this one.
Of course. While I'm saddened at the closing of the Warehouse, they did break the rules and have to suffer the consequences. I was justing using this situation as a platform to discuss the usefulness of some of the ACLG's regulations, which I believe the city should question and put pressure on the Province to modify.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation