HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Ya..Tell me about it.I have a cousin who works at a parts desk in a remote Alberta mine making well over 6 figures for it. All the power to him.His job is safe for now, but even though he's originally from Ontario, he bleeds Alberta and is now part of that separatist movement. I sometimes think he forgets that he makes almost a doctor's salary with no post secondary, and often whines about all the taxes he has to pay out when other people doing the same job in other parts of the country and around the world for that matter are earning 1/3 or less of what he makes..I mean. All the power to him, but quite whining about all the taxes you have to pay out when your mouth is full and you are making stupid money for what you do. His isn't isolated either.

See above your quote and tell me about entitlement. ^
Your cousin represents everyone in Alberta? Shocking I know but the majority of Albertans' do not work in oil and gas.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Ottawa's money? Let's see how long the rest of you last when you realize that either your taxes will have to increase dramatically or the benefits you receive need to be severely cut. The sense of entitlement from some of you is just about reason enough for AB and SK to leave.
Taxes increase? Call us when you get a Provincial Sales Tax, snowflake.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Ya..Tell me about it.I have a cousin who works at a parts desk in a remote Alberta mine making well over 6 figures for it. All the power to him.His job is safe for now, but even though he's originally from Ontario, he bleeds Alberta and is now part of that separatist movement. I sometimes think he forgets that he makes almost a doctor's salary with no professional designation or degree, and often whines about all the taxes he has to pay out when other people doing the same job in other parts of the country and around the world for that matter are earning 1/3 or less of what he makes..I mean. All the power to him, but quite whining about all the taxes you have to pay out when your mouth is full and you are making stupid money for what you do. His isn't isolated either.

See above your quote and tell me about entitlement. ^
You need to put more effort into your rebukes. At least present something related to what we're talking about.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Taxes increase? Call us when you get a Provincial Sales Tax, snowflake.
Another weak response. What does AB not having a PST have to do with you guys paying the bills after we leave?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Another weak response. What does AB not having a PST have to do with you guys paying the bills after we leave?
After we leave?

That little closet case in the premier's office still covets being PM of Canada.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:15 AM
I am a typical

Honestly if we re-elected Prime Minister Blackface, we'll probably elect Prime Minister Closet Case, too.

I'm surprised he hasn't come out yet to "own the libs". As soon as he does, the right will be shouting "Criticizing our premier is homophobic!" with glee.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Dominion? The main (only?) reason we're in this mess is because the Brits saddled us with policies and institutions meant for subservient colonies. Damn near every major problem in the world can be traced back to those stupid assholes and you want to keep emulating that shit? Manitoba would be a million times better off separated from Canada. How many more times do you need to get fucked over by the Liberal elites in the east before you understand that? For you personally the best solution is probably to move back to Britain since you think they have such a shit hot system.
There is nothing in your response that explains how Manitoba and Manitobans would benefit by Western Separation, which is a massive red flag that tells me Albertans don't give a rats ass about my province or it's people, and would likely treat us 10x worse than Ottawa (Libs or Tories) ever has, or will. You just want to use us in helping push your foolhearted seperatist agenda, which we as a Canadian province will not do.

Oh, and I'd rather be associated with a Commonwealth solidarity than hitch my wagon to the wacko American-wannabies in your province. Thanksnothanks.

Last edited by Pinus; Nov 12, 2019 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:27 AM

Corndogger is fun!

Seriously though wanting to separate from one of the safest, stable and prosperous nations that has ever existed in the history of man kind is a stupid idea, no matter what province it is coming from.

I personally find these BREXIT and WEXIT type movements to be the right wing equivalent of social justice warriors. People who seem so bored living in generally stable and safe societies that they need to invent problems (or take existing ones and blow them far out of any reasonable proportion) and create turbulence just to keep themselves busy.

Alberta is embarrassing itself right now. And I say this as someone who supports the Kinder Morgan expansion, finds Vancouver style self-righteous activism to be irritating, and wishes that the federal government did have a larger role in connecting Canada (a true federal highway program would be nice ).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
After we leave?

That little closet case in the premier's office still covets being PM of Canada.
What makes you think Jason will be the leader of an independent west?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
There is nothing in your response that explains how Manitoba and Manitobans would benefit by Western Separation, which is a massive red flag that tells me Albertans don't give a rats ass about my province or it's people, and would likely treat us 10x worse than Ottawa (Libs or Tories) ever has, or will. You just want to use us in helping push your foolhearted seperatist agenda, which we as a Canadian province will not do.

Oh, and I'd rather be associated with a Commonwealth solidarity than hitch my wagon to the wacko American-wannabies in your province. Thanksnothanks.
Your loss. Also don't be so sure that all Manitobans feel the same way you do.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Your loss. Also don't be so sure that all Manitobans feel the same way you do.
I am confident enough to guarantee that the vast majority of us do feel the same way. We are long past the Red River Rebellion type days of wanting self-government. And whilst things are not perfect as they are, we recognise that as the farflung peasants of a proposed Western Independant kingdom, paying taxes to and kissing the feet of self-imposed, entitled kings in Alberta will be of no benefit to us in any way, shape or form.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:01 AM
I am a typical

If you want to know the success of landlocked petro states, look no further than Kurdistan and Bolivia!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:09 AM

Quote:
You need to put more effort into your rebukes. At least present something related to what we're talking about.
That was mainly in response to Vid's comment about how some Albertans spend more on blow then he makes in a month, so yes, in that context I was on point.I guess you didn't get the very apparent entitlement comparison as the rebuke to your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Your cousin represents everyone in Alberta? Shocking I know but the majority of Albertans' do not work in oil and gas.
Fair enough I stand corrected.. I'm guilty of lumping in some of the high rollers with loud voices with the majority. My cousin anecdote which I highlighted in a previous post is one example of some of the Westerners whom I came across..

Last edited by Razor; Nov 12, 2019 at 4:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:12 AM
I am a typical

And by "blow", I didn't literally mean "cocaine". I mean "things that aren't necessary to basic life", which covers everything from going to the movies more than once a month (excessive imo!) to those giant lifted trucks with Alberta plates that think rolling coal on their way to the Ontario Works office is cool.

Man, the people out there make so much damn money, and then they lose their jobs and come back here broke, and it's like.... you vote conservative, but basic finances elude you. We've been through hard times. I literally came of age during a regional economic depression. No recession. Multiple YEARS of economic and population decline from which we still haven't, and might never, recover. I watched all of my friends move away to other parts of the country as I stayed behind and languished. So I'm responsible with my money. But these Albertan expats... they have no idea what they've got. None whatsoever. So no, I'm not that upset to see them lose it, because most of them were destined to lose it anyway. Look at the contrast between Alberta and Norway. Alberta might vote fiscally conservative, but Norway actually is.

Alberta deserves its loss. It was stupid, and stupidity comes with consequence. My city was stupid for putting all of its eggs in *two* baskets, and look at how we got fucked over! "Europe will always need bread!!" "Newspapers are getting bigger every day!!" Who do you think has a better understanding of what happens when your reason to exist disappears?

Building a pipeline can delay your economic decline by a couple years, maybe. At this point, it's a tossup on whether or not it will even financially break even in the end. But eventually, oil, especially expensive to produce oil, is going to stop being an economic powerhouse. Nothing Alberta does is going to change this. Northern Ontario wanted to become its own province in the 1970s. It's a good thing we didn't; we would likely would have gone bankrupt. And if Alberta wants to try, go ahead. Good luck with that. But don't say we didn't warn you.

Endless growth is mathematically impossible when you're basing the calculation on a finite resource with uncertain demand. Now that western corporations are about to gain control in Bolivia, the price of lithium batteries are going to drop significantly. Tesla stocks are soaring. Pretty soon, it's gas powered cars that will be the more expensive ones. What will Alberta demand then? Ban electricity? Thunder Bay wanted to ban steel construction so that everything would be built with locally sourced wood! It sounds stupid, but you guys wanting us to power all our cars on oil is just as silly. My next vehicle won't run on Alberta oil. It's going to be electric. Most of our next vehicles will be electric. At least you have the benefit of foresight. This iron curtain is falling a hell of a lot slower than ours did.

Last edited by vid; Nov 12, 2019 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, in the most fantastical of wet dreams of the Wexit type Alberta independantistes, would President Kenney move the capital to Calgary from Edmonton???

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:29 AM
I am a typical

Iran just made a new discovery, 50 billion barrels of oil reserves. Iran can't sell oil to Canada. Iran can sell oil to China. Is Trans-Mountain even necessary now? Why would China want our overpriced oil when nearby, friendly Iran is about to start a blowout sale on the stuff?

There is more to the world than Alberta and its environs. The iron curtain falling resulted in over 1,500 Thunder Bayers losing their jobs. A single event on the other side of the planet killed our economy. The internet took out the other half. No one needs printed newspapers anymore. We have smartphones. Another 2,500 jobs gone in half a decade. Back in 1985, no one saw either of these things coming. We predicted Thunder Bay would have half a million people in 2020. Two inevitable things that no one in Canada, let alone Thunder Bay, could ever hope to control.

It'll happen to you, too!! We could build all the pipelines, but by 2050, what is there to stop Calgary from ending up like Pittsburgh? Cleveland? Detroit? Railways were the lifeblood of my city. The scars upon which they once traveled are now walking trails for explorers of a past era. Entire rail yards populated by ghosts. There used to be an iron industry in this region. Our mountains are literally called "The Iron Range". No one works in that sector in this region anymore. From thousands, to 0, in a generation. Don't think it can't happen. Don't act like you can prevent it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:38 AM

There is no such thing as Western Alienation because the West is not one monolithic voice. Any alienation movement is strictly an Alb/Sk thing but they think very differently from BCers and Manitobans. The reason it is getting so much air-time is that it is Alberta led and Alberta is the defacto centre of the West politically........it's the Wests mouthpiece.

Yes Ontario and Quebec run the country, they always have and they always will for the obvious reasons that they are the most populated provinces. This is helped by the fact that they are home to Canada's old wealth, banking, cultural, and media institutions. This will never, ever change because we live in a democracy and each person gets a vote. This certainly doesn't mean that a government should only act on the best behalf of 2 provinces but when push comes to shove, all governments are political parties and they are in it to win.

The one thing that really pisses me off and shows the complete hypocrisy of the so-called alienation movement, is that the best way to make sure that each part of the country gets representation in Ottawa is either thru proportional representation and/or an elected and effective Senate and yet no party has been more hostile to either one of these reforms than the Ab/SK beloved Tories.

The reality is that Ab/Sk are not in step with the rest of the country in their social, political, and economic values. The issue is not that they have been alienated from ROC but rather that they have chosen to be and yet continue to complain about the consequences or their own actions and choices.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I personally find these BREXIT and WEXIT type movements to be the right wing equivalent of social justice warriors. People who seem so bored living in generally stable and safe societies that they need to invent problems (or take existing ones and blow them far out of any reasonable proportion) and create turbulence just to keep themselves busy.
Thats a pretty good statement.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:14 AM
recession proof

If Wexit happens 50% of population will move back to Ontario. Then you'll have another NFLD situation: an isolated backwater.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:18 AM

I wonder if the Newfoundlanders and Capre Bretonsers will stay, where I work in Alberta its 90% from those two places. Most of them plan to make the money here and retire back home, most of them own houses back there already, just waiting for the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada