HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 5:22 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
People throw the word "trolling" around so easily in this thread/these boards in general.
Being skeptical is not trolling.
*sigh*

Once again, because people seem to really have a hard time grasping this: Trolling is not about WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it.

For example, on a "Canucks might win the cup in 2011?" thread:

a) "Hey guys, I'm not sure, I mean in 94 they had a good shot and didn't make it, and really, they're facing pretty good competition in Boston or Tampa as well. I don't know that I like their chances." <=== skeptical, not trolling

b) "LOL Canucks FAIL in 94 and will FAIL again this year, where are their cup banners so far?" complete with picture of tumbleweed <=== trolling

As the old Tide commercial used to say - I can see the difference, can you see the difference?

Wikipedia is the grand knower of everything.
Quote:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 5:24 PM

Fair point.

So IMO the "Globe and Fail" comment was trolling, but the second one wasn't that much (aside from the "rapture" part)..

EDIT: Good point Xelebes..

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

OK, enough flogging that horse. I think feepa's heart is generally in the right place, his cynicism is just outweighing the evidence at the moment.

Here's a very good description of what the Jets meant to Winnipeggers.

And it's written from an ex-pat point of view, which many on this forum can probably relate to.

Quotes that made me chuckle (and yes, they're troll-worthy but still funny):

Quote:
Let's face it, growing up in and around the 'Peg, you get a lot of flak from other parts of the country about your little berg on the Prairie with the winter that never ends. Having a hockey team that could consistently beat the Leafs took the edge off.
Quote:
It's where I learned the complexities of balance and impartiality as I tried to write stories weaving the raw emotion of fans and those opposed to using public money to prop up the team "just a little longer" around the hard economic realities of keeping an NHL team with little chance of success. (Some journalism student is learning to do the same thing in Phoenix today.)

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:42 PM
Change is good

Hey look. I know its pretty sure thing this time around, but its very hard not to point out that we've all thought the coyotes were a done deal when clearly it wasn't. Just like now something could wiggle out at the last minute -- say the city of Glendale or i mean Atlanta wants to try to keep the team and some local last minute investor pops up out of the wood work and voila, feepa is again the grand knower of all things... Or whatever that signature says...

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:46 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Egging the residents of another city does count for trolling.
Egging the city? Come on. A dose of reality is not egging on or even trolling as you so eloquently put it just a few posts back.

Reality is in my previous post.

Don't count your chickens until they hatch

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:48 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
OK, let's assume for a minute that the deal does go through and the Thrashers move to Winnipeg (how about naming them the Threshers after the early harvesting machines that came before combines?).

How does the league re-align the divisions? It seems obvious that they need to flip flop a team from the east and the west. Nashville is the obvious choice to go east. So now Winnipeg is in the west, but which division? Again the NW division seems most logical but that means moving either Colorado or Minnesota to the central. Minnisota again seems logical except for the fact that there is some geographical rivalvy between Minneapolis and Winnipeg which would be lost. Also (no matter which U.S. team moves) that leaves only 1 U.S. team in the NW which is probably not that attractive to whichever team that is. I'm sure the prefer having a US rival to all Canadian rivals from a marketing perspective. The other downside to having Winnipeg in the NW division is it pretty much gaurentees that at least one and more often than not two Canadian teams would miss the playoffs every year from the division.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:56 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Divisional re-alignment is probably off the table for this year. So we'll see Winnipeg play in the SE division, until the NHL gets its house in order ("confirmed" by at least one eastern team official being told to expect 2 trips to Winnipeg next season). The NHL will want to plan this right - but there are deeper rumblings afoot. The obvious choice is Winnipeg in the NW and Minny to Central, or Colorado to the Pacific and Dallas to the Central. Then Nashville or Columbus to the east somehow. HOWEVER:

Phoenix is still unresolved, and may still be by next season. While currently a long shot, if Phoenix is still in the same boat you have to think that Quebec would be looked at. So that's a western team moving back east. And there are several more southern US franchises that could easily move somewhere else. A lot of this depends on how much of a precedent is set with the Thrashers moving. Several other owners could conceivably approach the NHL asking for relocation after it happens the first time. Plus, apparently there are longer-term re-alignment plans being looked at. I've heard of a wacky plan with 3 conferences (!) - West, East, and Central. Sounds silly if you ask me.

Bottom line is, don't expect anything soon. But boy howdy do I want the old Smythe division back.

Of course, the running joke today in my office is that Atlanta might keep trying for an expansion franchise every decade or so, fail, and move it up to Saskatoon in 20 years. Eventually we could have a "former Atlanta teams" division.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 7:06 PM

There was an article on CBC a day or two back toying with the idea of an All Canadian division; but it didn't really go into it in any real depth.

The idea has some merits, but there would be the loss of a number of cross border rivalries that shouldn't be overlooked. (Peg vs Minnisota, Bruins vs Habs, and more). Still with scheduling those rivalries could probably be maintained even with different divisions.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 7:15 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Bruins vs Habs, sure, there's history there (and 911 calls). However I think people highly overstate the Winnipeg-Minnesota rivalry potential. I can't recall anyone giving a shit about the North Stars. Mostly we cared about Edmonton and Calgary, with the other Canadian teams coming into play as well. Detroit became something of a foe in the later years.

People in Winnipeg only want the Minny rivalry because it gives them an actual chance at getting tickets to a building within driving distance.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 7:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

In Montreal, there are two rivalries that count:
1. Boston-Montreal
2. Toronto-Montreal

once upon a time, there was also:
3. Quebec City-Montreal

Nobody gives three shits about the other teams.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 8:01 PM

In Toronto I'd say the rivalries are (in order):

1. Toronto-Montreal
2. Toronto-Boston (more recently)
3. Toronto-Ottawa (died down quite a bit since the lockout)
4. Toronto-Detroit (more so from when Toronto was in the west, but it's still a bit there)

Toronto-Ottawa used to be in 2nd by a landslide, and has the potential to come back when both teams get good again.

The rest are just games.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 9:04 PM

The provincial government has denied a $500,000 subsidy for an AHL team which could possibly mean that the Manitoba Moose will not relocate to St. John's.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 9:34 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'd like to see Nashville to the SE, Winnipeg to the Central. Though Minny would probably end up moving instead.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 10:36 PM
Go Chiefs!

RDS is reporting the deal now DONE!!!

It took longer because the NHL wanted $60M in relocation fees.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 10:40 PM
surely you agree with me

some Feepa fun!

enjoy the crow....

05-08-2009, 01:52 PM
a team coming back to Winnipeg is laughable. You'll need a whole new arena!!!!
Just keep supporting the Moose. You'll be alright.

05-09-2009, 09:25 PM
MTS Center was designed specifically smaller then NHL sized arenas. It's very profitable for the moose, but would not make it in the NHL with NHL level salaries.
case dismissed.

12-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Winnipeg won't be getting an NHL team any time soon. Put down the crack pipes

01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
So, no, no team in Winnipeg in 2011/2012 either, and the future doesn't look so bright
No announcement will be coming Winnipeg, today, tomorrow, or after the all star break, or even after the season is over. Too bad, so sad.

01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Keep on dreaming Manitoba and Winnipeg. Cause... That's all you have. Phoenix won't be moving, Atlanta is not moving.

02-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Will there be a team in Winnipeg next season.
I'm betting NO.

01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Atlanta's not moving. The teams attendance is picking up again now that they have a decent team, and the ownership battles are over.(they had good attendance before the latest ownership fight and when they had a decent lineup). They are locked into a 10 year lease, and the current owner believes the team can be profitable in Atlanta.

So sorry, Winnipeg, No NHL for you.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 10:53 PM
Home of Hyperchange

That last comment is pure comedy gold.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
OK, enough flogging that horse. I think feepa's heart is generally in the right place, his cynicism is just outweighing the evidence at the moment.

[URL="http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/05/25/f-cameron-macintosh-nhl-winnipeg-jets.html"]Here's a very good description of what the Jets meant to Winnipeggers.[/URL]

And it's written from an ex-pat point of view, which many on this forum can probably relate to.

Quotes that made me chuckle (and yes, they're troll-worthy but still funny):
As an ex-Winnipeger and a Jets fan from day 1 in the WHA and then in the NHL, he did hit the nail on the head with this article.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:06 AM
gettin' rich!

Has the move been confirmed? I'm still checking online and there doesn't appear to be anything final yet.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:26 AM
Change is good

The Manitoba Polar Bears? If the team returns, I hear it won't use the Jets name. Any ideas on what the name will be?

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:29 AM
gettin' rich!

Anson Carter wants to buy the Thrashers and keep them in Atlanta?

Is this old news? Is this the reason for the hold up in the announcement? I'm trying to find more information, related to the relocation fees, and splits but have been so far unable to find it.

There will be no announcement on a move or anything else until next week at the earliest.

Maybe May 30th, 2011

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan