HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
we've narrowed it down to most probably Summer 1957, just two years before they tore the Garden of Allah down.
You can find it and others taken at the same time on Dave DeCaro's blog
http://davelandblog.blogspot.com/201...tels-1957.html
In the first two photos on the link, in the upper left hand corner, you can see Googie's Coffee Shop!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
ebay
__
Does anyone know if this boat was used for transport to Avalon? I remember taking a similar boat to Avalon in the Spring of '75. It was only a handful of people and so they weren't running the steamer. I wonder if this could be the same boat.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 9:06 PM
BANNED

26 miles across the sea....Santa Catalina is calling me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoVerde View Post
Does anyone know if this boat was used for transport to Avalon? I remember taking a similar boat to Avalon in the Spring of '75. It was only a handful of people and so they weren't running the steamer. I wonder if this could be the same boat.
I suspect it was this boat in the article. I don't think that the Shearwater was ever used for travel to Avalon.

http://www.catalinaclassiccruises.com/

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Dec 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

Topanga Beach Auto Court, 1939

Topanga Beach Auto Court at the mouth of Topanga Canyon and Pacific Coast Highway, 1939

doctorjazz.co.uk

http://digital-library.csun.edu/cdm/...id/2098/rec/47

TopangO (?)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Here?
ebay
1960s
No, here:

On the other side of Hope Street.

Google Maps

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
Burbank/Lockheed in camouflage trim (difficult -if not impossible- to locate on MRyerson's Map? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8551)

http://wesclark.com/burbank/lockheed..._with_p38s.jpg

shorpy

Lockheed, more camouflage.

http://digital-library.csun.edu/cdm/...id/3171/rec/49

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Last edited by Chuckaluck; Dec 31, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 1:02 AM

New Year's at Cocoanut Grove, 31 December 1957.

"Photographer: Wyman. Date: 12-31. Reporter: Adler. Assignment: New Year's -- Cocoanut Grove. 43/44: Whooping it up at midnight at Ambassador Hotel Cocoanut Grove are -- seated l to r: Mary Lee Clark; Van A. Hagenbaugh; Mrs. Shirley Berg; her husband, Gray Berg; Sylvia Allen and Donald Beyer. Standing l to r: Cocoanut Grove host Epy Baca; Mrs. Maudie Tanner and her husband, Charles H. Tanner".

USC Digital Library

Happy New Year everyone .

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 2:12 AM

Happy New Year to all and thanks for keeping this thread going.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
I can almost make out Marlowe and the hippie chicks.
I believe this was building was also used for the exterior shot of Emma Thompson's apartment home in the 1991 movie "Dead Again"?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Kind of silly to have google black-out your house. Anyone can drive by and take a photo...so what's the point.
Not silly at all of you have a job where you deal with people who might be looking for you and might want to hurt you like
Law Enforcement,Corrections, lawyers, Judges, etc etc

I fall into that a category with a job that "Creates" enemies so this makes great sense to me to use

It is all what angle you look at it

But if your an average person with nothing to hide I see what you feel that way

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by procab View Post
Unfortunately her life continued to spin out of control.

Thanks to all the contributors here! I'm a third of the way through all your work and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Found a article with more detail for anyone who is curious (cut and paste with their misspells)

Hollywood Correspondent HOLLYWOOD (UPD--The body of narcotics - haunted Barbara Burns, "black sheep" daughter of the late comedian Bob (Bazooka) Burns, lay in county morgue today, her life ended at 22 by an overdose of sleeping pills. The tall, beautiful girl, whoso health, acting career and family ties were wrecked by her drug addiction, died Monday in Gcnnral Hospital--Iwo days afler sho was found unconscious on a street in West Hollywood. A spokesman said no members of her family were present and t h a t she never regained consciousness. Just five days ago, Miss Burns vho also Irlcd suicide In Aufiu and September, made a No Year's resolution to qull narcotic She told a newspaper friend: "Tell [no-kids never to try dop 1 It's jusl not worlh II." HUMBOLDT STANDARD usvday, Jqn. 2, 1962

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstimc View Post
I believe this was building was also used for the exterior shot of Emma Thompson's apartment home in the 1991 movie "Dead Again"?
Yes, it was. One of my favorite movies.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 12:58 PM

On this day, 60 years ago ...

"To celebrate the new year the City Hall building emblazened [sic] the lights of its windows to read "54", 1954

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 2:36 PM

I know there's nothing terribly noirish about the Rose Parade, but I thought I'd share a few of my grandparents photos from 1963 & 1964 anyway. It's an interesting look as the past, as many of these would not be allowed in today's floats.

Last edited by Moxie; Jan 1, 2014 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 3:32 PM

Quote:
ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
When I was in 5th grade we took a harbor tour on that boat.....lots of fun. They had a sandwich and soda bar inside the boat. Bottle of soda ...10 cents.
The seller dates this brochure as 1958 in the heading, but mid- to late-1950s in the description. On the map, the Rainbow Pier at Long Beach can be seen on the left, while the Spruce Goose was still in the Howard Hughes Hangar on Terminal Island.

Ebay

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:55 PM

Poll: When in 2014 does this site pass 1000 pages; I'm thinking sometime in May.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 9:36 PM
BANNED

Harbor Memories ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The seller dates this brochure as 1958 in the heading, but mid- to late-1950s in the description. On the map, the Rainbow Pier at Long Beach can be seen on the left, while the Spruce Goose was still in the Howard Hughes Hangar on Terminal Island.
Hey Hoss, thanks for posting. I will save it. All my life I've had a love for ships and boats. I always remember that Harbor cruise day on the Shearwater.

eBay

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
Wow! I'm surprised that the station posted by BifRayRock still survives. If ProphetM hadn't mentioned a recent sighting, I never would have looked for it. But there it is, on Foothill, near Archibald. The Google Maps aerial shot shown below shows the station with garage section intact.

Google Maps

Unfortunately, the Google Maps street view tells another story. Apparently the property is currently being torn down. But take heart! I'm sure the property will be filled soon by a fast food joint!

Google Maps
Disappointing to see great buildings like this keep getting destroyed

Europe and back east have buildings going back hundreds of years , yet we on the California west coast seem to tearthings down within 50 -100 years on a rotating basis

I would love to see a gas station or any old historic buildings be given incentives to stay in business and keep the older businesses rather than tearing them down.

Tax breaks, etc if you take a station like this and retrofit modern technology masked by time period pieces. New gas pump mechanics inside of old pumps so the "look" was still there

I know I am dreaming, but isnt that what we all do here LOL

Would be nice to start saving older buildings some how and making it a money maker to keep them rather than tear them down

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 11:14 PM
I Like Turtles!

Approaching "P1K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Poll: When in 2014 does this site pass 1000 pages; I'm thinking sometime in May.
I'll guess Jan. 22nd.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawImages View Post
Disappointing to see great buildings like this keep getting destroyed

Europe and back east have buildings going back hundreds of years , yet we on the California west coast seem to tearthings down within 50 -100 years on a rotating basis

I would love to see a gas station or any old historic buildings be given incentives to stay in business and keep the older businesses rather than tearing them down.

Tax breaks, etc if you take a station like this and retrofit modern technology masked by time period pieces. New gas pump mechanics inside of old pumps so the "look" was still there

I know I am dreaming, but isnt that what we all do here LOL

Would be nice to start saving older buildings some how and making it a money maker to keep them rather than tear them down
In the case of the Cucamonga Service Station, we are in luck. Just a couple of weeks after the posts here about them (January 2013) where I mentioned that efforts were being made to save it, it was reported on Route66News.com that the station had been acquired by a non-profit historic preservation group called Route 66 Inland Empire California. As mentioned in the earlier posts, the back building was lost in 2011 - it was torn down after a 2010 rainstorm caused the roof to collapse. But the gas station building is now on the way to restoration. There was a Poker Run fundraiser in October.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos