HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
An alternative way of looking at Canadian imports and exports; how industry sectors differ among provinces and influence national trade routes and policies.

Meaningless? Hardly.
I agree. It is not meaningless. If you are looking at developing an inland port then you need to know what you can export to make the whole process work. Filling the TEU containers with local goods exported to foreign markets is just as important as emptying them with goods from foreign markets so that you are not sending empty TEUs back to the ports. Developing a two way transportation is a key to a successful inland port.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Here are the import / export numbers for Canada

wow, i knew we relied on the states, but i didnt know this much. i sure hope we are on our way to diversifying our exports especially.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 5:10 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
wow, i knew we relied on the states, but i didnt know this much. i sure hope we are on our way to diversifying our exports especially.
Yes I agree... but its also worth noting only 1.7% of Canadian exports are China bound. Not that significant in the grad scheme.. and much of that is being shipping through Vancouver.

Winnipeg's primary focus is on the massive US market ... with direct rail connection to the US Mid-West, which is part of what makes Winnipeg the transportion hub it is today.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 2:34 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

If this free trade agreement with the EU goes to planned, those numbers would totally change.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 6:58 PM

i think that is a benefit that a lot of people over look. i know i did, but its an important one.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 2:29 PM

From the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce Newsletter

Winnipeg Chamber Gets Foreign Trade Zone Policy Passed at Canadian Chamber
Incoming Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce chair Jeffrey Hartry, Chamber President Dave Angus and VP of Policy Chuck Davidson represented The Winnipeg Chamber at the Canadian Chamber of Commerce AGM this past weekend in Quebec City.

The Chamber partnered with the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce in proposing policy calling on the federal government to implement a foreign trade zone (FTZ program) in Canada.

- Maybe we can all just work together and and create success for both our cities.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 2:24 PM

you're on a role(re:perimeter CO2 reduction). success for both cities, smartest thing i've read today

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 10:31 AM

This doesn't only pertain to Center Port but I figured its close enough

From the Letters to the Editor section of the Winnipeg Free Press

Minister responds

Hugh McFadyen says he is going to "push back on" Bill 46, the Community Revitalization Tax increment Financing Act, a new tool that has been requested by municipalities and renewal corporations to help revitalize communities and neighbourhoods, to encourage economic, social and cultural development, and to preserve heritage properties.

First, he alleged tax increment financing would be used to finance a new stadium. When he was proven wrong on this point he didn't correct the record, and has now moved on to other excuses for not supporting this important bill. His excuses do nothing more than deflect from his lack of support for projects like Manitoba's new inland port and rapid transit for Winnipeg.

McFadyen alleges there won't be input on which projects will receive the benefits of tax increment financing. We have sought extensive input into the development of the CentrePort Canada, which has been resoundingly supported by our community.

STEVE ASHTON

Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 7:06 PM
The Loyal Opposition

my mistake

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Oct 21, 2008 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 9:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

mcfydan's an idiot

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
mcfydan's an idiot
I disagree.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 6:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I disagree.
lets agree to disagree on this ok?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 7:41 PM
The Loyal Opposition

McFadden is an idiot. With the exception of McFadden and the kids that he had working as his policy-advisors in his last campaign, anyone else could have figured out how the "Bring Back The Jets" gimmick would have played out in the press and at the dinner tables in the province.

Even Tom 'The Big-C Cheerleader' Broadbeck had to decry McFadden.

Cost him and the PCs the election.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 8:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
mcfydan's an idiot
I just think McFadyen's head is out of proportion to the rest of his body, it's like a giant beach ball on a coat rack!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 8:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

his gimic for pointdouglas is another thing... hes just another 1960's mega project will fix it all thinker

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 4:39 AM
Movin' on up

December 22, 2008

MANITOBA'S INLAND PORT OPEN FOR BUSINESS: DOER
– – –
First Board of Directors Announced for CentrePort Canada

Manitoba’s new inland port has taken a major step forward with the announcement of the first-ever board of directors for CentrePort Canada Inc., Premier Gary Doer said today.

“I am pleased to see such strong leadership on the first board of directors of CentrePort Canada. This group has the experience, skills and qualifications - as well as the support of government and the business community - to make our inland port a success. I want to thank the new board for accepting the job,” Doer said.

CentrePort Canada is a private-sector focused corporation that will operate and market Manitoba’s inland port as well as attract and co-ordinate business investment.

Created in October by provincial legislation, CentrePort Canada’s inaugural board members are Kerry Hawkins (chair), Art Mauro (vice-chair), Maureen Prendiville, David Fung, Chris Lorenc, Gord Peters, Joan Hardy, Don Streuber, Bob Silver, Tom Payne, Barry Rempel, Robert Ziegler, Eugene Kostyra and Ryan Craig.

“Today’s announcement means CentrePort Canada is officially open for business,” Hawkins said. “This is an exciting partnership that will create jobs, attract new companies and reach new markets. We are looking forward to the task of building our inland port and building our province for the future.”

The following organizations had the opportunity to nominate one person to the board: Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, Manitoba Chambers of Commerce, Manitoba Trucking Association, Business Council of Manitoba, Winnipeg Airports Authority, Manitoba Federation of Labour, City of Winnipeg, Rural Municipality of Rosser, Destination Winnipeg, Government of Manitoba and Government of Canada.

The board will have up to 15 members with expertise in such areas as rail, air and truck transportation, international business, labour, infrastructure and construction, law and financial management, and marketing.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 6:12 AM
Capitalist

Here we go...

An very impressive board is in place... and infrastructure taps are flowing. Stand by for some significant announcements in the coming months.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i think we need to be carefull though not to lock are airport in though...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 6:29 AM
Density and complexity

Why isn't Susan Thompson on the board? After all, the experience she could offer from being mayor the last time this kind of "transportation centre" trick was pulled out, would certainly be invaluable.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 6:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

cause shes suzy sizsor hands

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan