HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 3:29 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Lightbulb Saskatoon and Regina Air Service

Regina Mayor Waits For Answers
By Nigel Maxwell
Updated May 29, 2008 - 5:18pm

The Mayor of Regina is waiting for a phone call from Westjet.

Pat Fiacco says he cannot understand why Westjet is offering direct flights from Saskatoon to Las Vegas; and not Regina. Westjet initially announced that both cities would offer the flights, but Customs Canada said they could not schedule their staff to accommodate the flights.
Fiacco is not happy arrangements could not be made for Regina. The Mayor is offering his services to the airport authority as a lobbying tool.
He says this is not a question of which city is the better choice, but rather why people in southern Saskatchewan are not being provided with a service.

Source

Recently Saskatoon International Airport has added direct flights to Denver and Las Vegas. Does this move signal that Saskatoon's airport will become the main international transportation hub for the province, or will Regina Airport get the same flights somewhere down the road?

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 3:52 PM

I don't think anyone really knows what's going on yet. Regina is (was?) supposed to get the same direct flights, but there has been a problem with the customs staff

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 4:06 PM
Urban Dreamer

How many passengers does the Regina airport have go through it in a year?

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc087 View Post
How many passengers does the Regina airport have go through it in a year?
"REGINA -- Regina International Airport set a new record for passenger traffic in 2007 with 962,692 passengers using the airport's facilities last year, smashing the previous record of 871,416 set in 2006."

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...c1c4cc&k=91676

In comparison, Saskatoon's airport put through a hair over a million in 2007.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:24 PM
Urban Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
"REGINA -- Regina International Airport set a new record for passenger traffic in 2007 with 962,692 passengers using the airport's facilities last year, smashing the previous record of 871,416 set in 2006."

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...c1c4cc&k=91676

In comparison, Saskatoon's airport put through a hair over a million in 2007.
That's great to see both airports breaking records, Saskatoon last year had 1035660 passengers!

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 11:05 PM
Movin' on up

Congrats to Saskatoon for beefing up their air services. Is there an airport expansion in the works?

Winnipeg won't be seeing any enhancements to it's flight services until the new terminal is complete in about 1.5 years. There is talk of adding more direct flights to the US, Europe and even Manila. Like Saskatoon, Winnipeg is one of the fastest growing airports in the country.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 11:49 PM
iron ring

Funny, neither YXE flight has been officially announced, and Regina's mayor is already irritable. I don't think that looks too good, but I guess civic rivalries are what they are... FWIW, I think YXE getting those flights puts YQR in a better position to attract them next. Since there's no official announcement it's hard to say what's in it - but I wouldn't even have been surprised if WJ started LAS service to both cities.

The LAS flight would likely be low frequency and seasonal, and as much as I don't care for Vegas myself, I think the route will do reasonably well.

I'm kind of surprised by the DEN-YXE route. Airlines are starting to batten down the hatches for a rough ride in the next while, and the schedule shows 2x daily - a fair bit of capacity to put into an unproven market in one lump. It will probably take a lot of passengers away from the YYC connections, but even so 100 seats per day works out to an annual capacity of 36,500 seats each way, or 73,000 seats total - about 7% of YXE's traffic. I also wonder why they're starting the route after Labour Day - ie- after the peak summer travel season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Winnipeg won't be seeing any enhancements to it's flight services until the new terminal is complete in about 1.5 years.
Not drastic changes, but Winnipeg just got a 4th daily Denver flight added to the schedule, and one of the Chicago flights was upgauged to a slightly larger aircraft.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 12:45 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj View Post
Not drastic changes, but Winnipeg just got a 4th daily Denver flight added to the schedule, and one of the Chicago flights was upgauged to a slightly larger aircraft.
I guess I meant new flight routes rather than enhancements. That small terminal is cramped as it is. But with the half billion new terminal there will be room for more substantial non-stop additions that are need. So hopefully fewer flights will be less dependant on connecting in Calgary.

Damn, I wish the thing was built already!

Last edited by Greco Roman; May 31, 2008 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 12:55 AM
Movin' on up

Food for thought, I just checked the Westjet website and I see no mention of flights from Saskatoon to Las Vegas. Is this still just a rumor?

Also, how about this for a solution:

Why don't they have a flight originating in Saskatoon with a stop over in Regina to accommodate both cities for flights to Las Vegas? Then this way no one gets left out.

If I were Fiacco, I'd be more concerned about a route that is more economically beneficial such as Denver-Regina rather than getting all worked up over flights to Las Vegas.

Last edited by Greco Roman; May 31, 2008 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 1:55 AM
Movin' on up

Just rechecked Westjet's route map, and indeed there is direct service from Saskatoon to LV.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:00 AM
iron ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Just rechecked Westjet's route map, and indeed there is direct service from Saskatoon to LV.
No schedule yet, though. Kelowna has 2x weekly in the winter to LAS, probably won't start YXE with more than that.

Northwest usually has 2x daily flights from MSP to both YQR and YXE. They adjust the capacity seasonally, mostly by changing aircraft size, but also in the past they have made the schedule such that there would be separate YQR-MSP and YXE-MSP flights for one flight, and the second flight to both cities would be a MSP-YQR-YXE-MSP loop. Not as convenient, mind you, but keeps the frequency up without dumping too much capacity at once. Don't think they've done that since they've had more RJ's to work with.

Don't understate the importance of growing frequencies as opposed to new destinations. Although new routes are more exciting, growth is evidenced by the ability to absorb capacity on existing routes. It will be the growth in traffic with people flying YWG-DEN to connect onwards that will develop into nonstops to California, for instance. And YWG actually has a pretty decent core route network, just need frequency to London Gatwick increased and a couple of routes like Halifax or Victoria added, hopefully when the terminal is done.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:04 AM

Fiacco just wants to see a elvis presley imitator to dance through the airport like saskatoon got

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:17 AM
BANNED

Saskatoon is the larger, more important economic hub in Saskatchewan over Regina is it not?

It would make sense to place new routes in this city where it would probably have a better passenger count as well as a wealthier population due to the local economic conditions

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:34 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus41 View Post
Saskatoon is the larger, more important economic hub in Saskatchewan over Regina is it not?

It would make sense to place new routes in this city where it would probably have a better passenger count as well as a wealthier population due to the local economic conditions
Not quite.

Saskatoon serves Northern Sask and Regina serves Southern Sask. Both airports have similar numbers and actually Regina has a higher average income than does Saskatoon. Secondly, if Regina is poised to become a major transportation node in Canada, makes sense to beef up the airport.

It's dissapointing because these were flights Regina had locked up, including to Salt Lake City too, but Customs nixed that idea.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Not quite.
It's dissapointing because these were flights Regina had locked up, including to Salt Lake City too, but Customs nixed that idea.
Well, clearly this idea of a transport hub will not happen if the airport won't even expand it's services. Judging by both Edmonton and Winnipeg who are projected for becoming major transportation hubs, I would venture that Saskatoon, falling between these two cities, is likely to be the transport hub of Saskatchewan. Plus, this city is willing to accommodate an increase in air travel where Regina is not.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 4:02 AM

Good evening all... I have been following this forum for quite some time but have been too busy/lazy to post. This is my first post. I am from Regina but live in Brooks Alberta for work. I am a pilot and know many of the "high-ups" in Sask aviation. I worked at the Regina Flying Club for several years and just last month had a chat with the head of Regina Airport Authority. Like I have read before, the it has been an issue with customs that has stopped Westjet from providing Regina a direct flight to Las Vegas. It seems the flight was outside the hours that the Canada Customs staff was scheduled to work. The idea was to have two direct flights weekly. It was mentioned that the RAA and Westjet was even willing to pay to transport staff to Regina. It seems all would be a go once this customs situation is sorted out.....

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 5:16 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
Regina Mayor Waits For Answers
By Nigel Maxwell
Updated May 29, 2008 - 5:18pm

The Mayor of Regina is waiting for a phone call from Westjet.

Pat Fiacco says he cannot understand why Westjet is offering direct flights from Saskatoon to Las Vegas; and not Regina. Westjet initially announced that both cities would offer the flights, but Customs Canada said they could not schedule their staff to accommodate the flights.
Fiacco is not happy arrangements could not be made for Regina. The Mayor is offering his services to the airport authority as a lobbying tool.
He says this is not a question of which city is the better choice, but rather why people in southern Saskatchewan are not being provided with a service.

Source

Recently Saskatoon International Airport has added direct flights to Denver and Las Vegas. Does this move signal that Saskatoon's airport will become the main international transportation hub for the province, or will Regina Airport get the same flights somewhere down the road?
Regina will receive more flights in due time.

Which city will become the international hub of the province (whatever that means)?

Here are some realities to reflect upon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatoon Airport Authority - History of Saskatoon Airport Authority
The Airport Authority hit its stride in 2000, approving an expansion and renovation of the Air Terminal building (ATB) to facilitate continued growth of both airline travel and the economy of central and northern Saskatchewan. The project was a significant step toward the vision of making John. G. Diefenbaker International Airport Saskatchewan's premier airport.

[....]

The completion of the first two phases of terminal redevelopment was the most significant news over the first 5 years of operation. The redeveloped and expanded terminal, officially opened in 2002, has the capacity to welcome 1.4 million passengers annually. Recently there has been a renewed focus on promoting and expanding the capacity of the airport as a tool for economic facilitation. In addition, the redeveloped terminal will provide a catalyst to continually improve the "airport experience" for the customers.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader Post
Regina International Airport is gearing up to handle 1.5 million passengers by the year 2027, which could necessitate expansion of the existing terminal building and other facilities, according to the airport's 20-year master plan.

Jim Hunter, president and CEO of the Regina Airport Authority, conceded the projected 1.5 million passengers a year -- based on a growth rate of two per cent per year for 20 years -- is a far cry from the 32-per-cent growth in passenger traffic in the last three years.

"We can't reasonably expect that kind of growth over the 20-year period,''
Hunter said. "We're trying to be conservative in our estimates.''

Similarly, aircraft movements are expected to increase to 87,888 movements per year by 2027 from 61,000 in 2007.

The master plan concludes that the existing terminal building, which was recently renovated at a cost of about $20 million, could be expanded to accommodate the additional traffic. Terminal expansion would likely occur in the northwest, allowing room for expansion of cargo facilities.

"Even with the 1.5 million (passenger) estimate, we will be able to expand the current terminal, rather than look for what's called 'greenfield' expansion -- in other words, building a whole new building.''
Source

Smart money is on Saskatoon (If I were a betting man using the above references).

I'll admit, my knowledge of airport service and the airline industry is fairly weak. However, based on earlier expansions of John G. Diefenbaker and comparing with Regina's future expansion I concluded Saskatoon is ahead of Regina both in terms of passenger capacity/demand, both of which lead to increases in frequencies and direct flights (e.g. international destinations).

Or both cities will become international hubs

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 5:47 AM

Regina Region Inter-Modal Project

Quote:
Well, clearly this idea of a transport hub will not happen if the airport won't even expand it's services. Judging by both Edmonton and Winnipeg who are projected for becoming major transportation hubs, I would venture that Saskatoon, falling between these two cities, is likely to be the transport hub of Saskatchewan. Plus, this city is willing to accommodate an increase in air travel where Regina is not.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewa...portation.html

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 7:13 AM
working stiff

Re: Saskatchewan inland port

Saskatchewan inland port

The benefits of an inland port(s) will reach beyond Regina and would almost certainly benefit Moose Jaw and Saskatoon, according to recent analysis of Saskatchewan's transportation and distribution network.

Somewhat related: An unverified source, but I was told the Saskatoon Western Grocers/Loblaws distribution center may be relocating to Moose Jaw...might play into this whole inland port deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatchewan Agrivision Corporation INC
An Interim Progress Report has been released on the "Prairie-to-Ports Gateway and Inland Port" project.
Here is a link to the Interim Progress Report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatchewan Agrivision Corporation INC

Individual cities do not have capacity to be an inland port because a single
location has limited infrastructure and not enough volume of traffic. For example,
despite its location and size, the City of Winnipeg has been unsuccessful in
several attempts to establish an integrated road, rail and air “Inland Port” at one
location.

[...]

The Saskatchewan-based Inland Port, roughly identified by the yellow circle in
the above chart, has a very similar geographic size and configuration as the
successful Kansas City SmartPort, which is 185 miles [300 km] in diameter and
captures the assets of major highway, rail and air corridors.

It is important to remember that the Vancouver Port is composed of 41 terminal
locations across a broad geographic region. It also is not a single location. The
major cities of Moose Jaw, Regina and Saskatoon, when considered as a single
entity, provide most of the required assets and services of a “port”, albeit with a
more diffusely dispersed hinterland than the theoretical ideal.

[...]

The Progress Report of the current Prairie Gateway project, anticipated to be complete
by June 30, 2008, will include reports on a variety of important issues including:
1. A development plan for creating Federal “tax free zones” in the Inland Port region
to attract distribution centres, assembly facilities and other “port” services.
2. A ten-year export volume forecast for the major crops in Canada.
3. Promotion and public relations activities and presentations by Doug Campbell
and Agrivision in key transportation conferences, seminars, workshops and other
speaking opportunities to promote the Prairie Gateway and gather information
from other players in the North American and Global transportation supply
chains.
4. Compilation of key “drivers” for major investor / decision makers to endorse the

Prairie Gateway project.
Source - Page 7/8

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 7:29 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Except the government of Canada wrote a cheque for $30 million for the inland port in Regina.....that has to mean something, I'm sure.

Also, how is it the airport's fault that services weren't expanded when it was clearly stated it was Customs which stood in the way?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan