HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
Surely they would include "light rail" from the airport up Riverside into downtown in the proposal. The one major item Austin is totally lacking on Amazon's "checklist" for the potential location, is mass transit.
Also, it will take the better part of a decade for Amazon to hire 50k workers. So there may be some time to get something implemented.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 9:03 PM
Member since 2001

This project will not come to fruition (as currently proposed) without incentives. And with the council trying to back out of the Domain incentive deal...good luck at securing a deal for Catalyst.

Man, 10-1 definitely did not turn out like I had hoped. What a bunch of lunatics.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
This project will not come to fruition (as currently proposed) without incentives. And with the council trying to back out of the Domain incentive deal...good luck at securing a deal for Catalyst.

Man, 10-1 definitely did not turn out like I had hoped. What a bunch of lunatics.
Any future incentives will no doubt be guaranteed by contract, not "optional", which is where the Domain gets into trouble.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:01 PM

TOWERS has a good article about this area:

http://austin.towers.net/more-than-1...s-south-shore/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 1:40 PM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This could be such a great development. It expands the core of the city without doing much damage to surrounding neighborhoods. The development would be towards the airport and less developed areas where more affordable housing could be built without having a huge impact on gridlocked highways to the north of downtown. It would increase the probability that a light rail line gets built that would serve the airport. Most important, this development would easily integrate into the existing street grid making for a true urban environment rather that the faux urban mess that is rapidly congealing in the Domain area.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Most important, this development would easily integrate into the existing street grid making for a true urban environment rather that the faux urban mess that is rapidly congealing in the Domain area.
You say this based on what?

We've seen no indication (yet) that a new internal street grid will be developed/conveyed to the city.

It's a large unified project developed by a single developer. All apartments (no condos) so it seems likely the developer will keep control of the whole thing. Most likely it will look/feel exactly like the Domain (not that it's bad).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
You say this based on what?

We've seen no indication (yet) that a new internal street grid will be developed/conveyed to the city.

It's a large unified project developed by a single developer. All apartments (no condos) so it seems likely the developer will keep control of the whole thing. Most likely it will look/feel exactly like the Domain (not that it's bad).
Wanna bet? Nothing could possibly feel as sterile and artificial as the Domain. I am pretty sure the city will make certain this development, if it happens, will be integrated into the existing network of roads in the area.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Wanna bet? Nothing could possibly feel as sterile and artificial as the Domain. I am pretty sure the city will make certain this development, if it happens, will be integrated into the existing network of roads in the area.
I dunno, the Mueller area's pushing pretty hard for the "Truman Show" award too...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
I dunno, the Mueller area's pushing pretty hard for the "Truman Show" award too...
Ha! Ha! You are right about that. Mueller leaves me feeling pretty cold, but the Domain just creeps me out. I hate going there for any reason. I am probably the most elderly customer you can find at H and M. They have great draw string pants that fit my sagging old body. Otherwise, I'd never go near the Domain.

This Catylist site has great bones with frontage on a revitalizing Riverside Drive and S. Pleasant Valley. There is almost direct access to the nearby lake, park, and trails. It is already bisected by at least three existing streets. I suspect the master plan will attempt to relate to all of these elements in a truly urban manner. Also, if it happens, Catylist will probably be built out by a variety of different developers over a decade or two. Current trends in urban design pretty much dictate walkability and connectivity. Transit options along Riverside are almost certain to improve dramatically over time. I don't think Catylist is likely to turn its back on Riverside Drive or S. Pleasant Valley. The latter is a direct connect into old East Austin. There will be quick access to bike trails as well, which might be a sexy sell to younger commuters. The new not-so-free "Airport Freeway" will make this area much more accessible to north central Austin. I think this concept is a real winner and a game changer for the larger neighborhood extending up to Oltorf. I really want this one to happen.

I'm re posting the link to the Austin Towers recent article on this proposal in case you missed it above.

https://austin.towers.net/project-ca...ast-riverside/

Last edited by austlar1; Mar 15, 2018 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 4:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Ha! Ha! You are right about that. Mueller leaves me feeling pretty cold, but the Domain just creeps me out. I hate going there for any reason. I am probably the most elderly customer you can find at H and M. They have great draw string pants that fit my sagging old body. Otherwise, I'd never go near the Domain.

This Catylist site has great bones with frontage on a revitalizing Riverside Drive and almost direct access to the nearby lake, park, and trails. It is already bisected by at least three existing streets. I suspect the master plan will attempt to relate to all of these elements in a truly urban manner. Also, if it happens, Catylist will probably be built out by a variety of different developers over a decade or two. Current trends in urban design pretty much dictate walkability and connectivity. Transit options along Riverside are almost certain to improve dramatically over time. I don't think Catylist is likely to turn its back on Riverside Drive. There will be quick access to bike trails as well which might be a sexy sell to younger commuters. I think this concept is a real winner and a game changer for the larger neighborhood extending up to Oltorf. I really want this one to happen.

I'm re posting the link to the Austin Towers recent article on this proposal in case you missed it above.

https://austin.towers.net/project-ca...ast-riverside/

I agree, Catalyst has the potential of being a real game changer for Austin. Looking forward to hearing more details.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 4:47 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I also stand by my previous statement in another thread about VMU density. Please point out a corridor that has more VMU development than South Lamar or East Riverside. I'm not talking about West Campus or the Domain I'm talking about a stretch of road with the VMU development.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I also stand by my previous statement in another thread about VMU density. Please point out a corridor that has more VMU development than South Lamar or East Riverside. I'm not talking about West Campus or the Domain I'm talking about a stretch of road with the VMU development.
If the Catylist thing happens, I suspect that Riverside will be VMU on both sides all the way to IH35 within a decade or so. Big plots of lowrise commercial space like the HEB at the corner of Riverside and Pleasant Valley might see development similar to that being described for Catylist. An entire swath of the central city could emerge in urban form in fairly short order. The rundown apartment complexes going up to Oltorf would likely revitalize as well. I guess you could say I have an almost Jdawgian level of enthusiasm for this Catylist project.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:27 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
If the Catylist thing happens, I suspect that Riverside will be VMU on both sides all the way to IH35 within a decade or so. Big plots of lowrise commercial space like the HEB at the corner of Riverside and Pleasant Valley might see development similar to that being described for Catylist. An entire swath of the central city could emerge in urban form in fairly short order. The rundown apartment complexes going up to Oltorf would likely revitalize as well. I guess you could say I have an almost Jdawgian level of enthusiasm for this Catylist project.

Hey a new word definition! Love it!

By the way have you seen those row townhouses that are going up along Tinnin Ford Road? They remind me of what you see in cities in the Northeast. I'd love to see more like that.

Here's a screenshot from Google Maps:

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
I suspect the master plan will attempt to relate to all of these elements in a truly urban manner.
What master plan? This is a simple upzoning, not a PUD. The only regulating plan is the existing east riverside corridor plan.

Which is good and all, but we don't have to guess about it. We know exactly what is required.

(as a side, I'll correct myself and say that the ERC corridor plan does require some new street dedications in these parcels, so yes that should be nice).

Quote:

Also, if it happens, Catylist will probably be built out by a variety of different developers over a decade or two.
A decade or two? It's not big enough to require that much time.

In actual buildable area (remember a big chunk is undevelopable/isn't being developed), this is only slightly larger than Phase 1 of the Domain (if possibly slightly taller).

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice medium-sized project, but you're blowing it up to be something much larger than it is.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:

By the way have you seen those row townhouses that are going up along Tinnin Ford Road? They remind me of what you see in cities in the Northeast. I'd love to see more like that.

The brick is nice but the other three sides are awful!! They built some identical ones behind my work on 11th street, and they slapped on this horrible looking fiber cement synthetic looking panels on the sides and back (and also on those divider walls that extend up past the roof). Not even real stucco or even fake stucco. It looks really really terrible.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:47 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:

Those look nice! Love the full brick all the way around. Wait are we looking at the same project? I see brick on 3 sides?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
The brick is nice but the other three sides are awful!! They built some identical ones behind my work on 11th street, and they slapped on this horrible looking fiber cement synthetic looking panels on the sides and back (and also on those divider walls that extend up past the roof). Not even real stucco or even fake stucco. It looks really really terrible.
I'm with you. Hot garbage. I've toured them. The finish out is shit. Not 4 sides brick. Once the neighborhood fills in, it should look better, but it really needs to be in a mega-dense area.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Most likely it will look/feel exactly like the Domain (not that it's bad).
The Domain is a terrible example to follow for urban planning. I'm really hoping this project builds actual city streets and incorporates with the rest of the city grid, instead of closing itself off like the Domain with only a few access points and parking garages galore.

The Domain has all the feeling of a place you go to just for the day, a bubble isolated, before you return to Austin. I'm hoping Catalyst is just a continuation of "Austin."

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
What master plan? This is a simple upzoning, not a PUD. The only regulating plan is the existing east riverside corridor plan.

Which is good and all, but we don't have to guess about it. We know exactly what is required.

(as a side, I'll correct myself and say that the ERC corridor plan does require some new street dedications in these parcels, so yes that should be nice).

A decade or two? It's not big enough to require that much time.

In actual buildable area (remember a big chunk is undevelopable/isn't being developed), this is only slightly larger than Phase 1 of the Domain (if possibly slightly taller).

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice medium-sized project, but you're blowing it up to be something much larger than it is.
Yes, probably at least a decade. We are talking about:
4,709 apartment units
600 hotel rooms
3,987,300 square feet of office space
436,250 square feet of general retail space
60,000 square feet of medical/dental space

Hard to imagine a single lender or developer taking all that on at one time. There will eventually be a master plan or road map, if this thing progresses. Multiple developers will probably share in the building of this thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin