HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 6:42 AM
Meh

Cool AUSTIN | 405 Colorado Street | 356 FEET | 25 FLOORS | Completed

Construction cam link
https://405colorado.com/live-view

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...-austin/nmTxM/
Quote:
Office building planned for Colorado, 4th streets in downtown Austin
4:35 p.m. Wednesday, June 3, 2015 | Filed in: Business

Brandywine Realty Trust is proposing to build an office project at the northeast corner of Fourth and Colorado streets, a site that is now a parking lot across from Truluck’s restaurant. The project, at 405 Colorado Street, is expected to include structured parking as well as some retail space.

Executives with Brandywine, a national real estate investment trust, said the project is not on a site where height is limited to protect views of the state Capitol. Brandywine closed on the sale of the property in April.

Brandywine has not yet selected an architecture or engineering firm for the project, and there is no timetable as yet for breaking ground.
-

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...al-office.html
Quote:
Another downtown Austin site to go vertical; office, shops and parking planned

Jun 3, 2015, 5:45pm CDT
Jan Buchholz
Austin Business Journal

An office, parking and retail structure is in play at 405 Colorado St., just south of the Frank hot dog restaurant. The company has issued a request for proposals to engineering companies, according to sources. The site is one of the few remaining surface parking lots downtown.

Specific details — including height and design — of the project have not been determined, but the Pennsylvania-based company purchased the property April 9, according to spokesman Brian Dolezal.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Feb 18, 2020 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:32 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Well going by the Statesman article, it's possible this could be taller than I've been expecting. In a way I wish that the parking lot at the corner of 4th and Congress would be built on. There should be no surface parking lots along Congress.

And now for some juicy gossip.
I did hear something interesting yesterday about the southwest corner of 5th and Congress. Just a rumor but it may have something to do with the former light bar building that was slated to be a hotel that in the end fell through but that hole quarter block might be in play.

Again just a rumor with no solid evidence one way or the other but if you know that corner like I do you would know that several clubs and bars have closed recently. 6 months ago the sidewalks were bustling with people and now that section is dead quiet with just 2 places left on the Congress side. I'll try to look into it more to see if the rumor has any weight to it or not. Maybe someone here has some info regarding it? I only brought it up here because save for the alley that splits it in two, this is the same full city block that this proposed 4th and Colorado building will go up.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
And now for some juicy gossip.
I did hear something interesting yesterday about the southwest corner of 5th and Congress. Just a rumor but it may have something to do with the former light bar building that was slated to be a hotel that in the end fell through but that hole quarter block might be in play.

Again just a rumor with no solid evidence one way or the other but if you know that corner like I do you would know that several clubs and bars have closed recently. 6 months ago the sidewalks were bustling with people and now that section is dead quiet with just 2 places left on the Congress side. I'll try to look into it more to see if the rumor has any weight to it or not. Maybe someone here has some info regarding it? I only brought it up here because save for the alley that splits it in two, this is the same full city block that this proposed 4th and Colorado building will go up.
It may be in play, however that half-block is split into 8 different parcels that have 8 different owners. If you wanted the whole half-block you would need to buy up and combine the 8 parcels. It could be that someone is trying to do that.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 5:02 AM

Posted this in the update thread but thought I'd add it here as well.

Preliminary site plan:

ATX with the original scoop:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11447198

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 2:53 PM
Member since 2001

Only three public elevators? Don't expect anything huge here. Seems like Brandywine will not take advantage of being on an unencumbered CVC site.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Only three public elevators? Don't expect anything huge here. Seems Brandywine will not take advantage of being on an unencumbered CVC site.
I agree with that observation. I was looking at the loading dock with space for only one truck. That doesn't bode well for a tall building. The Silicon Labs buildings are only six stories, and they each have six elevators and three or four loading docks. The U/C 5th and Colorado building has five elevators. I'm guessing 10-stories for this one.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Nov 18, 2015 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 7:41 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I wasn't expecting this to be a tall building. Isn't there a Warehouse District overlay that this corner is included?

I was thinking no more than 5 or 6 floors even.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I wasn't expecting this to be a tall building. Isn't there a Warehouse District overlay that this corner is included?

I was thinking no more than 5 or 6 floors even.
Third and Colorado is also in the Warehouse district, so I'd be surprised if there was that much disparity in height regulations just a street over. I just always assumed we were looking at a 20-35 story tower, just based on comps around town. Brandywine, is building a 750 ft tower in Philly right now, so I had "higher" hopes (no pun intended) than 6-stories to say the least.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Third and Colorado is also in the Warehouse district, so I'd be surprised if there was that much disparity in height regulations just a street over. I just always assumed we were looking at a 20-35 story tower, just based on comps around town. Brandywine, is building a 750 ft tower in Philly right now, so I had "higher" hopes (no pun intended) than 6-stories to say the least.
I remember seeing a DT zoning map or something that showed the Warehouse District with some sort of tierd height limits. Along 4th has the lowest heights but as you move away they increase. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I remember seeing a DT zoning map or something that showed the Warehouse District with some sort of tierd height limits. Along 4th has the lowest heights but as you move away they increase. I'll have to see if I can find it.
That was a proposal from the Downtown Austin Plan that was not adopted.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 5:20 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
That was a proposal from the Downtown Austin Plan that was not adopted.
Oh...that's great to hear. Did not know that but thanks for clearing that up for me.

Too bad this won't be a very tall building then.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 11:43 PM
World Traveler

Maybe they'll add a really tall spire?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Oh...that's great to hear. Did not know that but thanks for clearing that up for me.

Too bad this won't be a very tall building then.
Despite only having one loading dock and a few public elevators, this one could still surpass 20 stories.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 1:25 AM

366'

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraperwill View Post
366'
You've been pretty accurate in the past with your posts. But can give a source or any description of what it will look like?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 1:57 AM
Meh

Sweet. I was thinking it would be something tall. With this and 416 Congress there's going to be some nice height on that block.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:02 AM

The developers had a meeting today with the city at 2:00PM, so that may be how the height info got out.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraperwill View Post
366'
Not bad. I'm just happy we're seeing something over 300 ft. It would have been a shame to get only minor infill on a site with no CVC height restrictions. The floor plan of the first floor makes it seem like this is going to be another rectangle, but hopefully they'll give it some sort of distinction. Still waiting for a developer to build a heavily tiered office tower that decreases in floor plate size as it rises (although not exactly economically, a thinner, 500-600 ft building would have looked awesome here).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:35 PM

Nice height for such a small lot.

So the UT office building is like 20 stories and only 270' high but its a half block. 9 floors garage the rest lobby and office if I remember right.

So this may be 12-15 floors garage and the same 12-15 floors office on a quarter lot. 100' higher.

I just think the 3 elevators located at the front of the building is interesting, odd placing or maybe glass ones to ride in and see out?

Remember the north wall should be blank and ugly, the alley wall likely not much better.

Last edited by ivanwolf; Dec 4, 2015 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 12:27 PM

Scraperwill was probably pretty close with his height estimate of this project. They make no effort to hide the garage levels, but I like this.

http://www.brandywinerealty.com/prop...-tx-78701.aspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin