HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 11:09 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm assuming "Office" and "Retail" are just placeholders for the business names.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I'm assuming "Office" and "Retail" are just placeholders for the business names.
I'm sure they are too. But even if it says the name of the occupant, it still reminds me of the 80's. No big deal, just an observation. I still like the overall redesign.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 3:03 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
It almost looks as if a target is gonna be there.
Maybe!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:45 PM

They need to open a Target downtown already.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 8:45 PM

I'm Still hoping that HEB pulls out what they got with their own Urban HEB. A little Beh beh Heb.

Last edited by austin242; Jan 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:40 PM

Would love to see an HEB and/or City Target downtown.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 10:05 PM

I know some of you will remember a Target was originally planned where whole foods is. It was going to be one of their first "Urban" Targets.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I know some of you will remember a Target was originally planned where whole foods is. It was going to be one of their first "Urban" Targets.
I do hope they're still looking for a spot downtown.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I do hope they're still looking for a spot downtown.
Bring cash and leave the credit cards home.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:03 PM

This is from the Real Estate Council of Austin's weekly eblast:

"PLANS FOR A DOWNTOWN OVERLAY MADE PUBLIC

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014, City staff presented recommendations for a Downtown Overlay to the City of Austin's Downtown Commission. This followed a summary of implementation progress achieved toward the goals expressed in the Downtown Austin Plan, which was passed by City Council in December 2011.

Click here to see the Downtown Overlay recommendations. These changes will also be the subject of the Wednesday, February 12, 2014 City of Austin Policy Issues Committee meeting. If you would like to attend and are not on the committee list, please contact RECA Director of Public Relations Annie Armbrust.
"

Here's the clicky to the report: http://origin.library.constantcontac...ay+1+15+13.pdf

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 7:01 AM

I made a trip downtown to go to Toy Joy around 6:30 PM today. It was impossible to find any on street parking, and all of the garages had switched to flat fee evening rates ranging from $10.00 to $15.00. The City Hall garage, which is $5.00 with validation from 2nd St. stores, was already full. The Toy Joy store was mostly empty unlike their old location at Guadalupe and 29th, which was always packed. I expressed dismay to the sales clerk at Toy Joy about the cost and inconvenience of parking. She was well trained in responding and made a valiant effort to put some lipstick on the pig that is the parking situation for local residents who might want to shop on 2nd St. Obviously she hears my lament on a regular basis from other Austin residents. Downtown Austin and 2nd St. will never become a real shopping destination unless there is an effort made to accommodate local residents with convenient and affordable parking options. It seems to me that 2nd St. is really just for tourists and the few local residents living in nearby highrises. Toy Joy was truly an iconic Austin business. Why on earth did they move downtown? The clerk claimed that rent at the 2nd St. location was 1/2 of what they would have paid to remain in the old location. I find that hard to believe unless the 2nd St. landlords were desperate to attract tenants and offered some really cheap lease to Toy Joy.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I made a trip downtown to go to Toy Joy around 6:30 PM today. It was impossible to find any on street parking, and all of the garages had switched to flat fee evening rates ranging from $10.00 to $15.00. The City Hall garage, which is $5.00 with validation from 2nd St. stores, was already full. The Toy Joy store was mostly empty unlike their old location at Guadalupe and 29th, which was always packed. I expressed dismay to the sales clerk at Toy Joy about the cost and inconvenience of parking. She was well trained in responding and made a valiant effort to put some lipstick on the pig that is the parking situation for local residents who might want to shop on 2nd St. Obviously she hears my lament on a regular basis from other Austin residents. Downtown Austin and 2nd St. will never become a real shopping destination unless there is an effort made to accommodate local residents with convenient and affordable parking options. It seems to me that 2nd St. is really just for tourists and the few local residents living in nearby highrises. Toy Joy was truly an iconic Austin business. Why on earth did they move downtown? The clerk claimed that rent at the 2nd St. location was 1/2 of what they would have paid to remain in the old location. I find that hard to believe unless the 2nd St. landlords were desperate to attract tenants and offered some really cheap lease to Toy Joy.
Have you looked into Cap Metro's park and ride system? You can park at a station and take a bus/train into downtown. https://www.capmetro.org/parkandride/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 5:49 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Businesses shouldn't have to suffer while people are changing their commute habits. I wish something could be done for the parking situation.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 6:17 PM

Downtown is for people, not cars. You should expect to travel by a method other than car when you get downtown. You can't expect to park nearby your destination. This isn't the suburbs.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 7:55 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

We are arguing different points. While we may agree that you should expect to use buses or walk downtown, that's not reality yet for Texans. Businesses like Toy Joy will continue to suffer .

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
We are arguing different points. While we may agree that you should expect to use buses or walk downtown, that's not reality yet for Texans. Businesses like Toy Joy will continue to suffer .
The previous location of Toy Joy had very little parking and relied mostly on pedestrian traffic. If they're struggling, I think it's because of location.

Many UT students would frequent the old location to buy gifts for friends. Also, it appealed to that "nerd demographic" (supports places like UFO Arcade, Game Republik, and Resurrected Games) that can be found around UT as well as families in Hyde Park.

2nd St. is primarily yuppie.. not many families with children

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Downtown is for people, not cars. You should expect to travel by a method other than car when you get downtown. You can't expect to park nearby your destination. This isn't the suburbs.
Agreed. As the city further densifies and hopefully urban rail comes along, this will become even more true. In most European city centers, people do not park downtown.. If they're not walking, biking, or using mass transit, they park on the edges and take a bus in (park and ride systems). That's the way it should be in a dense urban environment.

Austin has realized that and has been redeveloping hideous surface parking lots with great new buildings. Also added new bikes, bus lanes downtown for MetroRapid, and widened sidewalks. 2nd St. is such a pleasant place to walk now due to large sidewalks, slowed car traffic, and street life (cafes that spill onto the sidewalk) and retail storefront.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomuse View Post
Agreed. As the city further densifies and hopefully urban rail comes along, this will become even more true. In most European city centers, people do not park downtown.. If they're not walking, biking, or using mass transit, they park on the edges and take a bus in (park and ride systems). That's the way it should be in a dense urban environment.

Austin has realized that and has been redeveloping hideous surface parking lots with great new buildings. Also added new bikes, bus lanes downtown for MetroRapid, and widened sidewalks. 2nd St. is such a pleasant place to walk now due to large sidewalks, slowed car traffic, and street life (cafes that spill onto the sidewalk) and retail storefront.
All the "great new buildings" provide their residents with one and sometimes two parking spaces because most of these residents rely on their cars to go to work or play. No parking options in these new highrises would mean no residents in the highrises. That is the current Austin reality. Unfortunately, there has been no effort by the city to encourage or require some form of short term and affordable parking downtown. Even the convention center garages go to flat rate after 6PM. I have news for some of you guys, but I can drive into downtown SF or Chicago (or Dallas or Houston for that matter) and find plenty of almost affordable hourly parking that would allow me to go shopping or keep an appointment and then go on my way. I needed to go to Toy Joy to get an interesting birthday present for a nephew. I was coming from Austin Pets Alive (Town Lake Animal Center) before heading home in SW Austin. It simply was not realistic for me to consider my public transit options before heading off to shop downtown. You can pontificate all you want about downtown being for public transit users, pedestrians, bike riders, and residents only, but there will NEVER (never being the next 20 years or so)) be a truly viable shopping district in the heart of downtown Austin without some additional convenient parking options for local residents. 2nd St. is turning out to be primarily a pleasant place for visitors to burn some bucks on a meal or some entertainment.

Last edited by austlar1; Jan 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 9:39 PM

Talked to the owners of Toy Joy. They were dying on Guadalupe. Parking issues. Not enough foot traffic. Rent was indeed highter than that have on 2nd. Those are their statements not mine.

I am thrilled they took the chance on bringing the local brand to 2nd.
A very brave choice that is great for downtown.
I hope the succeed and can wait out the development to the west as that will draw more foot traffic.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 12:02 AM

HEB has put up a "coming soon" sign at the lot bounded by South Congress, Slaughter, and I-35 South.

What a traffic boondoggle that will be...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin