HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Hopefully this will force local and state leaders to move more quickly on the 71/183 interchange building 71 into a non stop freeway all the way to 130... Completing 183 north from there to 290 would be ideal as well.
It would be nice indeed. I figure this will happen around 10 or 15 years from now. We gotta take it slow and keep it weird around here. I don't think the public will tolerate these roads turning into toll roads, so there will be a wait of many years in my humble opinion.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 9:16 PM

There will be more hotels going up for this. However, the drivers, directors and other upper echelon have surely scoped out the Lost Pines Hyatt for it's proximity to the track and seclusive features. They held the Republican Governors convention there and I can see why. Limited access points for press/public to enter; resort is deeply separated from access points to ease monitoring and challenging of intruders; and, although campy in my opinion, it does give a luxurious sense of historical Texas that few downtown hotels can offer. I've noticed high class Europeans eat this stuff up for some reason and the horseback riding they offer at the Hyatt is going to be in high demand.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 3:11 AM

There will be plenty of them downtown as well, probably at the W. At the Indy race most stayed at The Conrad in downtown, in fact I was told it was built as a direct result of the F1 race there but opened in 2006 so it was only in use for the F1 race for two years. Most of the MotoGP teams have stayed there the past two years and is full for the 500 and Nascar race at the track. There are only two other Conrad Hotels, in Miami and Chicago. Most of the teams stayed in Downtown Indianapolis and you would see the principles and drivers eating out in downtown.

Lost Pines isn't big enough to handle all of the teams and FOA/FIA officials. There may be some there but I bet it will be a mix of people...and will be full.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 3:22 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
There will be plenty of them downtown as well, probably at the W. At the Indy race most stayed at The Conrad in downtown, in fact I was told it was built as a direct result of the F1 race there but opened in 2006 so it was only in use for the F1 race for two years. Most of the MotoGP teams have stayed there the past two years and is full for the 500 and Nascar race at the track. There are only two other Conrad Hotels, in Miami and Chicago. Most of the teams stayed in Downtown Indianapolis and you would see the principles and drivers eating out in downtown.

Lost Pines isn't big enough to handle all of the teams and FOA/FIA officials. There may be some there but I bet it will be a mix of people...and will be full.
Wait... you mean the high class Europeans won't be staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Ben White?! Surely the Denny's would be the place to eat and be seen. ; )

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Wait... you mean the high class Europeans won't be staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Ben White?! Surely the Denny's would be the place to eat and be seen. ; )
Not the high class ones, after all The Conrad is a high end Hilton, many of them may not know what the inside of a Hilton looks like.....but there should be plenty of "them" staying in the area.

"them" = normal, working type Euros, Brazilians...oh there will be a bunch of Brazilians all over town. They travel in huge numbers for the race.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 3:28 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
"them" = normal, working type Euros, Brazilians...oh there will be a bunch of Brazilians all over town. They travel in huge numbers for the race.
Interesting... I have a coworker who is originally from Brazil. When I mentioned the F1 plans for Austin, her eyes popped out and jaw dropped. She understood the significance.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 2:05 PM

Isn't this thread about Formula 1 coming to Austin???? How did it evolve into a discussion about access roads?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 2:46 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Isn't this thread about Formula 1 coming to Austin???? How did it evolve into a discussion about access roads?
Looks like it branched off from a point brought up about residual development (tied to the F1 track) that would occur along expressways with frontage roads.

For the most part, there are only intermittent frontage roads along 130 in the vicinity of the track.... most of which are in the immediate proximity to exits or locations where access to cross-streets were cut off as a result of the tollway.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 1:51 AM
Meh

Let's try to stick to the topic. It's a pain having to sift through a thread of off topic posts while searching for information about the actual thread topic. If you want to talk about road issues directly relating to this project, fine, but don't bring up Dallas or a highway on the other side of town.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 3:22 AM

Rules, rules, rules! At least this is a lively thread that seems to have held interest for a period of time. The forum has been so dead lately, and transportation threads tend to get hijacked by one or two persons in a boring and endless debate. Why not just let this thing run its course until it dies a natural death? I don't think that many people are upset that it is a bit off topic.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 4:41 AM
Meh

That's fine I suppose, but people will have to search through the whole thread for relevant posts to the topic. We'll see, if it becomes a problem with people complaining about too many off topic posts.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 6:05 PM

Yeah i don't know how any of these posts about roads in other places have anything to do with F1 racing in Austin. The only road discussion that should be here is how they plan on getting 200,000 people in and out of that place, when they cant even get close to half of that out of downtown Austin effectively. That is where the real problem is going to be. I am not sure if any of you been to the NASCAR race in fort worth and seen the problems they have on IH 35.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 4:16 PM

[QUOTE=DougRockstead;4953971]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
That's quite a long message you've put together, and I like that you took the time to post all your thoughts. But why not put it into a new thread?

I would if I new how..Is there anyway to move this conversation to a new thread? Kevin?
Just start a new thread. If Kevin has the time and the will, he can move the prior posts over there.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 5:05 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post

Just start a new thread. If Kevin has the time and the will, he can move the prior posts over there.
Moved those posts. I moved all the posts that were off topic from this thread that had nothing to do with it. They consisted of discussion about frontage roads all over the metro on roads no where near this project. This thread should be about updates on the development of the race track and road improvements that are directly related to it.

You can continue the discussion on access/frontage roads here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=184279

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 9:56 PM

Austin F1 circuit plans finished, will be public soon, promoter says

Quote:
A Formula One racetrack planned outside Austin has more than 20 turns and is more than 3.2 miles long, U.S. Grand Prix promoter Tavo Hellmund said on Speed TV’s “Wind Tunnel” on Sunday night.

Hellmund, of Full Throttle Productions, told host Dave Despain that plans for the circuit are finished and that he will make them public soon.

City and county planners have said they are expecting preliminary plans soon, possibly as early as this week.

The circuit has some fast corners and some slow, technical ones, Hellmund said.

“I think (fans will) be pleased that for a true natural terrain road course, kind of like in the ’60s, you’ll be able to see a lot of the track,” he said.

For comparison, the circuit at Abu Dhabi is about 3.4 miles long and has 21 turns.
Video:
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ns_finish.html

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:34 AM

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 1:22 AM
Let's Eat!

Great News!

As a fan of Formula1 for the past 10 years I'm super duper excited to see it coming to my home state!!! There are many-a-places they could have choose first. Not to diss Austin, a place I called home for 2 years, but consider that it could have gone to the Miami's and Chicago's, which are top tier cities in the US. Or the ATL's,L.A's and Indy's that have proven track records to handle racing and other events on the same weekend. Lets not bicker bout the small stuff like, traffic on I-35 or where the track will be built. Im sure with Austin's tree hugger population, they won't let any roaches or slugs get hurt. LOL . Just know this, when the 5 lights turn green, Austin will be seen, by the WORLD!

My pick for the race...of course a Ferrari 1-2 sweep!!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 7:03 PM
Meh

The scope of this thing is huge. Those numbers they're talking about are a bit scary. This would be less of an I-35 traffic problem, and more of a 130, 290 and 71 traffic problem. Although, farther north and south of Austin on I-35 with people coming in from all over the place, I would imagine traffic would be hell.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 9:27 PM

Hey everyone remember this...This event is more than two years way...So much can happen in two years it frightens me to think about it....F1 is greatly affected by the world economy...Things don't look good domestically or globally....Locally this project is going to take hits from the "roll back Austin to the seventies groups." It will be a difficult battle to stage this event...Let's hope it happens.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 2:30 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalgeNyus View Post
Yeah i don't know how any of these posts about roads in other places have anything to do with F1 racing in Austin. The only road discussion that should be here is how they plan on getting 200,000 people in and out of that place, when they cant even get close to half of that out of downtown Austin effectively. That is where the real problem is going to be. I am not sure if any of you been to the NASCAR race in fort worth and seen the problems they have on IH 35.
Formula 1 is not going to draw 200,000 fans on race day. Take a look at
http://www.grandprixcities.com/raceattendances.html
Race day attendance figures for 2010:
April 18, Chinese Grand Prix Shanghai reports nearly 85,000
July 11, British Grand Prix Silverstone reports 115,000
July 25, German Grand Prix Hockenheim reports 65,000

The 200,000 and 300,000 attendance numbers you read about are for 3 to 4 days of the entire event at some tracks. Silverstone is basically the home track for many of the Formula 1 teams, if Austin drew more than 100,000 fans on race day, that would be doing very well.

p.s. That's about what UT football draws on Saturdays.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin