HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 1:57 AM

Civic Park at Hemisfair on track to be completed by fall despite delays surrounding r

From KSAT 12

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...content=ksat12

SAN ANTONIO – Hemisfair in downtown San Antonio is undergoing a major renovation and despite ongoing construction and big plans for the future of the historic district, there have been some delays to parts of the full project.

“The three developable parcels outside of Civic Park saw a few delays due to some financial market trouble and some labor shortages, supply shortages,” said Meredith Balzen, director of External Relations at Hemisfair."

Those sections along Market and South Alamo streets include plans for mixed-used developments and apartments, but does not include Civic Park, which broke ground in January 2021.

“There have been no delays in the construction of Civic Park and making sure that we’re bringing this top-notch quality park to San Antonio,” Balzen said. “We’re really excited to be delivering it to people who truly deserve a place like this to come and enjoy greenery, to come and enjoy being outside and water.”

There have been concerns about Civic Park’s availability for the fall and future events like the NCAA Men’s Final Four, but Balzen said the park is on track to be completed by the end of September.

“We have the springs being finalized. We have the promenade, concrete is being poured. We’re getting ready with the dirt in the great lawn to start planting some of the grass. We’re also planting some of the beautiful trees, so timeline is looking great for an opening in September,” Balzen said. “Will still be the host to the NCAA Final Four party that you saw here back when it was hosted before.”

However, people in the Hemisfair area will still have to contend with traffic troubles.

“It’s going to get a little bit more messy before it gets better. But in the long run, South Alamo is really going to open up the downtown sphere of traveling between La Villita and Hemisfair, and making sure that when people come downtown, they feel like this place is walkable with the trees and with the shade,” Balzen said.

Balzen added that by the end of July, Hemisfair officials expect an update from developers on the next step for the mixed-used areas, and it will not cost taxpayers any more money.

“All three of the developers are looking at their design and financing right now. The end of due diligence is the end of July,” Balzen said. “We’re working very closely with the city of San Antonio as well as the three developers to make sure that we’re on target for an acceptable delivery date.”

Hemisfair has not undergone a renovation like this since the late 1960s.

“We had quite a few years between the World’s Fair ‘68 and us really bringing the revitalization here. So a few more years and making sure that we’re really getting it right for the city as our top priority,” Balzen said. “Civic Park is going to be San Antonio’s Central Park, and it’s going to be an amazing transformation, not just for downtown, for the entire state and county

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 1:57 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post

“So a few more years and making sure that we’re really getting it right for the city as our top priorityy

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:20 PM
James

^^^ right?? Should have thought of that years ago and hired someone that could get it done instead of the same companies with the lack of urgency

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 12:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
From KSAT 12

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...content=ksat12

Balzen said. “Civic Park is going to be San Antonio’s Central Park"

That's hilarious. Central Park is the size of the entire downtown San Antonio. Civic Park will be 1/4 the size of Sheep Meadow.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...ydzA?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ne...cmps?entry=ttu

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That's hilarious. Central Park is the size of the entire downtown San Antonio. Civic Park will be 1/4 the size of Sheep Meadow.

i think you're being a bit too literal.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibolo View Post
i think you're being a bit too literal.
Well, I obviously wasn't being one-to-one comparison literal. I'm sure you know how developers and such speak in hyperbole to make big claims to win over the public. Civic Park could be 20% the size of Central Park and qualify as San Antonio's equivalent, but it's nowhere near that. Maybe a better comparison would be Madison Square Park, which is still noticeably bigger but serves as a nice place to hang out for lots of people in a dense urban setting.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/25...mngn?entry=ttu

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:

LOL I think she wasn't talking about size per say. Think she meant the prestige that Central Park has in NYC. That was the comparison!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
LOL I think she wasn't talking about size per say. Think she meant the prestige that Central Park has in NYC. That was the comparison!
Well that’s also hilarious.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 11:12 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
That's a worse take than the one from KSAT. Thousands of TV shows and movies have been shot from NYC, with CP playing a prominent role in many of them. EVERYONE knows where Central Park is. Not even Brackenridge Park, the second oldest city park in the country has much prestige outside of San Antonio. Civic Park has no hope of matching that prestige. As long as it serves locals and tourists to SA well, I'm fine with it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
That's a worse take than the one from KSAT. Thousands of TV shows and movies have been shot from NYC, with CP playing a prominent role in many of them. EVERYONE knows where Central Park is. Not even Brackenridge Park, the second oldest city park in the country has much prestige outside of San Antonio. Civic Park has no hope of matching that prestige. As long as it serves locals and tourists to SA well, I'm fine with it.
Travis Park is older than Brackenridge. The name Civic Park sounds temporary where I bet will be renamed to Nirenberg Park.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Not even San Pedro Park, the second oldest city park in the country
Fixed.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Well, I obviously wasn't being one-to-one comparison literal. I'm sure you know how developers and such speak in hyperbole to make big claims to win over the public. Civic Park could be 20% the size of Central Park and qualify as San Antonio's equivalent, but it's nowhere near that. Maybe a better comparison would be Madison Square Park, which is still noticeably bigger but serves as a nice place to hang out for lots of people in a dense urban setting.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/25...mngn?entry=ttu

i can't speak for exactly what she meant but i inferred that she was referring to what the park would represent in regards to a public space available in the downtown area. i don't think she meant to place it on the level of a central park at all, in any way.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
i can't speak for exactly what she meant but i inferred that she was referring to what the park would represent in regards to a public space available in the downtown area. i don't think she meant to place it on the level of a central park at all, in any way.
AGREED!!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 12:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Balzen said. “Civic Park is going to be San Antonio’s Central Park"

I don't know how to infer anything else from that quote. Doesn't matter though; San Antonio is going to get a nice city park about the size of a football field that will have some trees and public space for people to use.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 5:19 PM

Update

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 5:23 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Not surprising, but still disappointing.

NOTE: I could only see the initial photo for a split second because of the paywall. Any chance you could post direct links to the photos?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 5:36 PM

See if these work lol

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 5:56 PM

just wait on the mixed use building. That kind of building is fine near the Pearl but not at THE MAIN CORNER of what's supposed to be the pride and joy of the city. The entrance is weak between the hotel and the mixed use building. I really hope this gets ripped to shreds. Don't settle for bland architecture. If we are going small, at least make it striking. Not surprised but will be disappointed if this gets passed through. These are buildings that will be here for generations.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 6:08 PM

just want to add this. Why should we settle for ok when we can get something great down the line. I get wanting to wrap this up but might as well wait for market conditions to improve and see if we can get something better. already pushed it a couple years. What's a couple more or 5 more.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 6:41 PM

I feel like this is a FU to the city.

This design needs to be denied.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio