HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 12:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Floodwatch

well its not even 2011 and were already sounding the alarm could be an interesting spring ahead

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Another flood of the century?

Heavy rainfall, snow lead premier to sound the alarm

By: Bruce Owen
Posted: 2/12/2010 1:00 AM | Comments: 45

Premier Greg Selinger is sounding the alarm about the risk of widespread flooding this spring and has already put Prime Minister Stephen Harper on notice about the looming threat.
Much of the soil in southern Manitoba is still saturated from unprecedented summer and fall rain, meaning if the snow melts too quickly in April it can't be absorbed by the ground.

It's the same in North Dakota, where Fargo is experiencing its 10th-wettest fall on record.
That moisture in the ground -- more of a threat than the piles of snow above it -- has provincial flood fighters fearing we could see a spring flood on the scale of the Flood of the Century in 1997.
That year, a large area south of Winnipeg was covered in water and the army had to be called in to help.
"I wanted the prime minister to know about it, because it's something we need to be on top of," Selinger said Wednesday. "We're also looking at what additional resources we're going to need."
He said while it's still too early to predict a spring flood, adding to the concern is the amount of snow that fell so quickly last month.
With a couple of major dumps in November, Winnipeg has already seen more than two-thirds of the total amount of snow that fell last winter.
Meanwhile, water-filled culverts outside the city have already started freezing, creating the potential for overland flooding when the snow melts and there's simply nowhere for the runoff to go.
"The ground is saturated and there's lots of early snow," Selinger said. "We're off to a start that makes us realize that we need early planning. Early planning lets people take a look at where the risks are... where the hot spots are in Manitoba."
Selinger said he wrote to Harper because emergency measures are handled jointly by the two levels of government. Ottawa has also been involved in some of the flood-protection initiatives in southern Manitoba since the 1997 flood.
That same planning is happening south of the border, where river flows were already higher than normal before winter kicked in.
The Fargo Forum website reported this week eight of the 14 wettest falls on record in Fargo have been followed by major spring floods. Fargo's wettest fall on record was in 2008, which preceded the 2009 Red River flood that nearly deluged that North Dakota city.
Selinger said flood fighters are watching all areas of the province where there's been a lot of rainfall during the summer and fall. From May to September -- the wettest period in 30 years -- precipitation for southern Manitoba and the Interlake was 160 per cent above normal. That doesn't include the late-October storm that dumped up to 85 millimetres of rain.
Steve Topping, executive director of the infrastructure and operations division of Manitoba Water Stewardship, said the spring flood potential is high, simply because the ground is so soggy.
"We could have normal winter snowpack now and still get a significant flood," he said.
Selinger also said additional money in the spring budget may be aimed at the flood fight.
The province has already amassed a huge number of tube dams -- dams filled with water that double as sandbag dikes -- to protect low-lying homes and properties.
Rural municipalities have also purchased special torches to unfreeze culverts so spring runoff doesn't back up.
The province is also looking at buying a third, larger Amphibex icebreaking machine that in summer months can double as a river and lake dredger.
Provincial officials have said they'll have a better idea of spring flood conditions in February or early March when they know how thick river ice is and how it will break up in the spring. Icebreaking operations on the Red River north of Winnipeg start in March.
Officials from Manitoba and the U.S. meet Jan. 18 in Fargo to talk about long-term flood prevention and other issues at the 28th annual Red River Basin Land and Water International Summit Conference.
bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 2, 2010 A3

Snow by the numbers

110.6 cm
The average snowfall for an entire winter in Winnipeg
21.4 cm
The average snowfall for November in Winnipeg
55.6 cm
The amount of snow that fell on Winnipeg this November (an additional one centimetre fell in October)
80 cm
The total amount of snow that fell last winter
1.4 cm
The amount of snow on the ground in November 2009
15 cm
The amount of snow on the ground in November 2008
62.8 cm
The amount of snow on the ground in November 1996
80.3 cm
The record snowfall for November, set in 1955
Source -- Environment Canada

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 12:44 AM
BANNED

Sigh. Can you PLEASE make an effort to show some professionalism and capitalize F in the title of this thread. If you can't, then can one of the mods PLEASE do this?

Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 12:57 AM
working stiff

^ I'm only doing this once, and only because you asked so politely

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 1:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
^ I'm only doing this once, and only because you asked so politely
Thanks, but this is why we need a more dedicated Manitoba moderator, who can keep an eye on things on a daily basis. Otherwise, the Manitoba posts suffer, as we have seen here.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 5:04 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Another year, another flood, another big mess in my back yard. I'm at a pretty high elevation but others on my street are not and there will be a bunch of sandbags I'm sure. Scotia will be a disaster me thinks.

I was in Elm Creek in early November and did a tour of some of my friend's lands. The ditches were running like rivers with big rapids and even small waterfalls. We saw three large road washouts that he had crews repairing. Water covered fields everywhere. It's very scary - this all has to come through my back yard.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Another year, another flood, another big mess in my back yard. I'm at a pretty high elevation but others on my street are not and there will be a bunch of sandbags I'm sure. Scotia will be a disaster me thinks.

I was in Elm Creek in early November and did a tour of some of my friend's lands. The ditches were running like rivers with big rapids and even small waterfalls. We saw three large road washouts that he had crews repairing. Water covered fields everywhere. It's very scary - this all has to come through my back yard.
Is this why you are called Riverman...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 2:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Is this why you are called Riverman...
It's from another forum actually that has to do with my hobby. But yes, a lot of my activities focus around the river.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 3:39 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Normal Red River water level at James Avenue (the commonly used reference datum) at this time of year is approaching zero. Today the level is above 7 feet, more that half a foot above normal summer level. I suspect most of this water is coming from the Lake of the Prairies as it was still 10 feet above normal this fall.

I think a rink on the Assinboine this winter is unlikely which is quite a shame.

Last edited by Riverman; Dec 6, 2010 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 9:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

High-water advisory on Assiniboine, tributaries

By: Staff Writer
Posted: 4/12/2010 1:00 AM
Ice jams on the Assiniboine River have prompted a high-water advisory for the length of the river and its tributaries, from the Shellmouth Dam/Russell area to the RM of Headingley.
Communities in the Assiniboine Valley, especially in low-lying areas such as Russell, St. Lazare, Miniota and Brandon, should be aware that ice-related flooding could occur, said Manitoba Water Stewardship's Hydrologic Forecast Centre.
The threat of ice-jam flooding is expected to continue on the main river and some larger tributaries like the Souris and the Little Saskatchewan rivers until the freezing process stabilizes.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 4, 2010 A10

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 7:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Likelihood of significant Red River flooding rises in N. Dakota, Minnesota
By: The Associated Press
Posted: 01/18/2011 10:48 AM

FARGO, N.D. - The National Weather Service says the likelihood of significant Red River flooding has risen in North Dakota and Minnesota.
The agency in its latest flood outlook Tuesday said there is about a 20-per cent chance the river at Fargo and neighbouring Moorhead, Minn., will surpass the record crest set in 2009.
It also says there's about a 50-per cent chance it will beat last year's crest, which was the sixth-highest on record.
The outlook says the river is almost certain to surpass "major" flood stage in Fargo-Moorhead.
The Weather Service previously calculated those odds at less than 60 per cent in December.
Forecasters say the probability has increased for several reasons, including above-normal water in the snowpack in the southern river valley and an expected wet spring.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...114139499.html

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Normal Red River water level at James Avenue (the commonly used reference datum) at this time of year is approaching zero. Today the level is above 7 feet, more that half a foot above normal summer level. I suspect most of this water is coming from the Lake of the Prairies as it was still 10 feet above normal this fall.

I think a rink on the Assinboine this winter is unlikely which is quite a shame.
I expect much of it is coming from the Souris River and Qu'appelle River in Sask. The Saskatchewan Watershed Authority is doing the first ever winter release from the Rafferty Reservoir (Souris) and has been draining Last Mountain Lake (Qu'appelle) all winter, which is highly unsual. This is all anticipation of possible spring flooding.

http://www.swa.ca/WhatsNew/Advisories.asp

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
High-water advisory on Assiniboine, tributaries

By: Staff Writer
Posted: 4/12/2010 1:00 AM
Ice jams on the Assiniboine River have prompted a high-water advisory for the length of the river and its tributaries, from the Shellmouth Dam/Russell area to the RM of Headingley.
Communities in the Assiniboine Valley, especially in low-lying areas such as Russell, St. Lazare, Miniota and Brandon, should be aware that ice-related flooding could occur, said Manitoba Water Stewardship's Hydrologic Forecast Centre.
The threat of ice-jam flooding is expected to continue on the main river and some larger tributaries like the Souris and the Little Saskatchewan rivers until the freezing process stabilizes.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 4, 2010 A10
Does the writer and editor at the Free Press not know that the Assiniboine river is about 8 miles west of the town of Russell?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:15 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Does the writer and editor at the Free Press not know that the Assiniboine river is about 8 miles west of the town of Russell?
Do you know what a tributary is?

I have a feeling you don't.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Plan in works to subsidize cost of installing sump pumps, backwater valves

By: Bartley Kives
Posted: 01/19/2011 10:03 AM

The province and Manitoba municipalities are working on a plan to subsidize the cost of installing sump pumps and backwater valves before an expected spring flood.
Local Government Minister Ron Lemieux and Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz said this morning their governments are working on a plan to offer financial incentives for homeowners who have yet to install the flood-protection measures.

The program will also be offered to other Manitoba municipalities, Lemieux said. Provincial officials are working out the details and hope to have the incentives ready in time for homeowners to prepare for this year’s flood.
Katz told reporters he believes the program will subsidize about 60 per cent of the cost of installing sump pumps and backwater valves in Winnipeg. Lemieux said he is not certain of the amount just yet.
Every Winnipeg home should have valves and pumps as protection against sewer backups and overland flooding, Katz said.
Lemieux said a formal announcement will come as soon as the plan is completed.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...er-valves.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Do you know what a tributary is?

I have a feeling you don't.
Have you ever been to Russell? I have a feeling you haven't.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Plan in works to subsidize cost of installing sump pumps, backwater valves
^ This is a good idea IMO.

Totally unrelated, but the city should also consider a subsidy program to replace or upgrade foundations within the 100 year old housing stock in the older city suburbs. This is a serious issue that will ultimately end up with the loss of a high percentage of inner city homes over the next few decades.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:33 PM
BANNED

^ It's a great idea if your a plumber because the cost of backwater valve/ sump pump installations just went from $800 to $2000. Typical lame brain idea from your city of Winnipeg and your province of MB.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:35 PM
the first stamp is free

^ well I tend to assume the good in people, so hopefully not all plumbers are assholes.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Have you ever been to Russell? I have a feeling you haven't.
brandon has had 103cm's of snow

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:42 PM
BANNED

Actually there is a better incentive to initiate the installation of a backwater valve and sump pump on your own: it will prevent your basement from getting flooded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan