HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

800-804 Congress Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:59 AM
Meh

AUSTIN | 800-804 Congress Hotel | 30 FLOORS

Yet another hotel proposal. There's at least 3,000 to 4,000 hotel rooms planned for downtown Austin. 2,000+ of those will be in just two buildings serving the convention center.

http://downtownaustinblog.org/2011/0...-congress-ave/
Quote:
Another Boutique Hotel Planned For Congress Ave?

2011 JULY 25

by @JacobDirr

It appears developers are pursuing a boutique hotel at the 800 block of Congress Avenue, in addition to one planned at the 400 block. We thought that once before, but this time different people are involved and it looks more certain.

The hotel, planned in the Bosche-Hogg Building — a historic building at Congress Avenue and Eighth Street plagued by low occupancy and bought out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy — will have 210 rooms and 120,000 square feet of office space, according to my intel.

Steve Drenner’s law firm is working to merge the parcels at 800 Congress — which is Hickory Street Bar — and 804 Congress, which is the Bosche-Hogg Building, according to my info. The firm is also seeking central urban redevelopment (CURE), which allows for greater density than Central Business District (CBD) zoning. (For nerds out there who care: they are seeking an 18:1 floor-to-area ratio.)

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:59 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/business/de...h-1658754.html
Quote:
Developer plans boutique hotel at Congress and Eighth

By Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 8:29 p.m. Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A local developer plans to build a 28-story building that would include a 210-room boutique hotel and office space on land now occupied by the historical Bosch-Hogg building and the adjacent Hickory Street Bar & Grill at Eighth Street and Congress Avenue.

David Kahn, managing partner of Colina West Limited, an Austin-based limited partnership, is seeking a zoning change that would allow him to build a larger structure than current zoning permits, with as much as 265,000 square feet.

The building would include about 100,000 square feet of office space as well as two or three restaurants, a coffee bar, a plaza and a live music venue that potentially could hold 400 people. The hotel would occupy 12 or 13 stories above the office space, Kahn said.

Pending the zoning change and other city approvals, the project could break ground next summer and take up to two years to build, Kahn said.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:57 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

If I am not mistaken this would be the tallest building in between 6th and Congress and the state capital. I thought that once you passed 6th, all the buildings had to be 15 floors and under? How will they be able to do this?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 8:47 PM
Meh

I was wondering about that, too. Although, I hadn't heard of the 15-story height restriction.

This will be the tallest building in downtown north of 7th Street (not counting the Capitol). And it could be up to 100 feet taller than 816 Congress, the neighbor sharing its block to the north. I would bet this building will be close to 350 feet tall. It'll have 12 to 13 floors of office space. That section of the building alone could push it to nearly 200 feet tall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 10:55 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Im not sure if there really is an official 15 floor height limit but I know the buildings in that part of Downtown are mostly in the 15 floor and under range. I know that the closer you get to the capital the more condensed the Capital View Corridors get to each other. Maybe there is a small sliver that they can take advantage of.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 11:39 PM
Meh

There are no height restrictions along Congress related to the Capitol View Corridor (CVC) except for banning any skywalks/skybridges from crossing the street. There are height restrictions related to the CVC on the surrounding streets, however, north of 10th Street.

This link has some historical information about height restrictions in Austin related to the Capitol.
http://www.heritagesocietyaustin.org/CVCBackground.pdf

Capitol View Corridor map.
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/downtown/...port_Final.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 6:21 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...ity-counc.html
Quote:
Controversial Austin hotel heads to City Council
Developer: This will fit well on Congress

Austin Business Journal by Robert Grattan, Staff Writer
Date: Friday, October 26, 2012, 5:00am CDT - Last Modified: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 8:46pm CDT

Robert Grattan
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal

Austin’s Planning Commission endorsed a 30-story, $90 million hotel project on Congress Avenue — but withheld its recommendation for construction as proposed — after a protracted discussion that pit some of the city’s biggest landowners against each other.

The proposed building would add a four-star hotel with 210 rooms, a 5,900-square-foot restaurant, 41,300 square feet of office space and a music venue to 800 and 804 Congress Ave., said project developer David Kahn of Gone to Texas Capital One LP.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 11:52 AM

A mostly awesome looking building except for the glass strip interrupting the top. What the hell were they thinking with that? (also, on second look, I'm unsure about the backside too)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 9:37 PM
Resident Moron

Given the lack of anything going on North of 7th street on Congress (or anywhere near Congress), I'll take it. Seems like this is a mostly dead part of downtown clear over to Guadalupe.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I actually don't mind the strip of glass at the top. It ties into the 6 levels of corner glass on the bottom half.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 11:52 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I like the looks of this.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive