HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I had Nokian WRG2 (previous generation of the WRG3) on my last car and thought they were great. This fall I bought a new vehicle and decided to go to winter-only Michelin X-Ice tires. Acknowledging that they are different cars (but both FWD), I was was shocked at how much better the X-Ice were compared to the WRG2. The improvement from all weather to winter only was about the same as the improvement from all season to all weather. I know this should have been expected, but it did surprise me as I though the WRG2s were giving me great winter traction.

I also fully agree with the comments about winter driving skills. I do have some concern that people immediately blame thier poor winter driving on lack of proper winter tires. It is stil the driver's responsibility to drive in accoradance with conditions and equipment. Too many people are quick to exclaim that they wouldn't have had the accident if they'd been driving on winter tires when, in reality, they wouldn't have had the accident if they were driving within their capability.
Common sense prevails. Defensive driving changed my whole mindset on being on the road after a particular job responding to emergencies required it. I had all kinds of issues, tickets, fender benders..etc.. for quite some time. After that, didn't matter what vehicle I drove, or in what conditions I was driving. It was pretty much smooth sailing after the change in attitude and using common sense.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks for the info regarding storage at the tire shop. Good stuff. But hotwired's comment is especially intriguing... I don't think my car gets more than maybe around 3,000 km max on it from December to the end of March. If there is an alternative to having a different set of winter tires, I'll certainly consider it.
A bus pass comes to mind.......but then again, that's me.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
A bus pass comes to mind.......but then again, that's me.
What makes you think I don't take the bus?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
and my AWD is obviously enough given that I don't have an accident problem.
How does AWD prevent you from getting in accidents? AWD helps you go, not stop.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 8:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
AWD helps you go, not stop.
It helps to get to the accident more quickly.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
My vehicle has both AWD and traction control. If I'm sliding, it'll correct the path using the AWD system.

I also have this system in my brain that overrides both of those and it's called 'driving to the conditions'. It works remarkably well. Even when I was younger and drove a rear wheel drive pick up and drove 50k/year, it worked very well. Incredible stuff, really.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 8:46 PM

Just like the guy this morning that almost slid into me while turning a corner. He just laughed and threw his hands up like "what can I do, it's icey." Didn't see any others sliding around that corner, just him going too fast.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 3:16 PM
North End Troublemaker

This could not make me any happier, unless they took away their ability to donate vast amounts of money to charity...

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...pc/2014/a13950

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 3:44 PM

Some councillors will be paying for cable/internet for the first time in their lives.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 3:49 PM

The slush fund cuts make sense, but I'm not sure I'm on board with Bowman's salary cuts to council. Seems like such a token, if not outright petty gesture that will change nothing meaningful in the long run, but will just provide even more of a disincentive to people thinking about leaving their careers to run for council.

I mean, what will change when EPC chairs go down from $115K to $105K?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 4:05 PM

Maybe a wage freeze would be better and would give the same outcome. Controlling wages long term. Instead of a wage roll back. Id be more inclined to take a freeze than a pay cut. As most others would likely agree. Even though I wouldn't be too happy with either.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
This could not make me any happier, unless they took away their ability to donate vast amounts of money to charity...

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...pc/2014/a13950
The charitable thing and the marketing thing need to stop. I don't need to be funding my councilors next campaign from day one of the new term through bus-bench and garbage can advertising. If you want to market yourself, hit the pavement.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 6:03 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
The charitable thing and the marketing thing need to stop. I don't need to be funding my councilors next campaign from day one of the new term through bus-bench and garbage can advertising. If you want to market yourself, hit the pavement.
Better yet, do something that is worthy.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Better yet, do something that is worthy.
Those community incentive grants. I'm always hearing them coming out of their 'ward allowance' at meetings, but is that the charity you're referring to?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 6:30 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Those community incentive grants. I'm always hearing them coming out of their 'ward allowance' at meetings, but is that the charity you're referring to?
Not even the CIGP funds, the CRA (Councillor Rep Allowance). CIGP isn't at the councillors, it goes to the Community Service department to get vetted before being approved by the community committee and they have to have a project plan and budget for the money when submitting. CRA gets given out by the ward councillor willy-nilly.

Councillor Mayes started this thing when he donated 28K to Save our Seine.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...191259521.html

Now councillors are going over the top with their donations. My councillor, Sharma, is donating to religious groups with offices outside our ward. Or Eadie donating his CRA funds to Selkirk BIZ to the tune of $5k, who are pretty much funded entirly by the by-laws put in place by the City.

The CRA is completely a fund to get re-elected and to pay your PA's.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Not even the CIGP funds, the CRA (Councillor Rep Allowance). CIGP isn't at their discression, it goes to the department to get approved and they have to have a plan for the money when submitting. CRA gets given out by the ward councillor willy-nilly.

Councillor Mayes started this thing when he donated 28K to Save our Seine.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...191259521.html

Now councillors are going over the top with their donations. My councillor, Sharma, is donating to religious groups with offices outside our ward. Or Eadie donating their CRA to Selkirk BIZ to the tune of $5k, who are pretty much funded entirly by the by-laws put in place by the City.

The CRA is completely a fund to get re-elected and to pay your PA's.
It's really no mystery as to why it's so difficult to knock off an incumbent councilor...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 7:37 PM

For Simplicity's sake....

Quote:
It's really no mystery as to why it's so difficult to knock off an incumbent councilor...
.....watch how you phrase your comments. It could get you into trouble.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
AWD gets you about another 50 feet more in to trouble and another 50 feet more of tow cable.

During hunting in the bush, we would drive in on 2WD and then us 4WD if we had to. Other hunters (from the City) would go in with 4WD on and ask us if we knew where they could get a tractor to get them out. We always knew that it was the nut behind the wheel had the least amount of sense when it came to winter bush driving. It always seemed that we took 100 feet of cable and then added another 100 feet for stupidity.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
AWD gets you about another 50 feet more in to trouble and another 50 feet more of tow cable.
I'm sure it's quite similar on city streets. AWD simply allows you to accelerate faster and allows you to more quickly drive beyond what the conditions allow.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 8:48 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it's quite similar on city streets. AWD simply allows you to accelerate faster and allows you to more quickly drive beyond what the conditions allow.
Poor judgement allows you to do this no matter what you're driving. My point is that between max merits, AWD, and traction control, winter tires aren't doing anything but creating another expense.

Because the same things you're saying about AWD can be applied to winter tires: people with poor judgement will think all of their driver error will be absorbed by a new set of tires...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan