HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 9:41 PM

You're on to something! It would also stabilize the hole! Perfect.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wouldn't filling the Capital Pointe pit with water create the new largest lake in Saskatchewan? Think of the possibilities for downtown Regina recreation, stock it with fish, build some diving platforms, etc.
I like it, but needs a waterslide.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 9:53 PM
arf

^Indeed. We could have slides coming from the NCO parkade.

Barring any acutal geo-issues, I'd say we're a good three-year legal fight from any dirt moving into or out of that hole.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:25 PM

Maybe Fortress Real Developments, Has sold the land it would be easy for a another developer to build something sufficient , the hole is already there

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:52 PM

It shouldn't be a problem to fill in the hole...they can use all of the broken promises, shattered dreams, loads of excuses, and most of all ...tons of bull$hit.

But seriously, I hope the City is specific as to what they can fill the hole with and not fill it will crap such as broken concrete etc.

Last edited by Draftsman; Mar 16, 2018 at 12:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I didn't read anything. But from my knowledge of geotechnical issues, there are time limits on certain items. It's a temporary vs. permanent thing.

The shoring may be designed for a temporary condition, or a condition where as they run risk of shoring failure if they leave it sitting too long. Ground water pressures change due to excavation, etc. I've seen some failures on recent projects where the contractor let excavations sit too long, and they failed. Including a shoring wall.
City said in their presser this morning that the current shoring is the temporary kind.

Drofmab, I agree we should all be skeptical. I think there's some optimism that maybe, just maybe, the city is trying to do something. I thought it was odd to have a whole press conference. They could have issued a press release and saved Folk from having to dance around some of the questions she can not answer for legal reasons.

Judging from the pieces about Fortress that keep cropping up in out of province media, I doubt they can afford to finish this and are holding this lot as an asset.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:50 PM

As someone on the regina subreddit suggested, maybe each of us can throw in a handful of dirt each time we pass the hole.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
City said in their presser this morning that the current shoring is the temporary kind.

Drofmab, I agree we should all be skeptical. I think there's some optimism that maybe, just maybe, the city is trying to do something. I thought it was odd to have a whole press conference. They could have issued a press release and saved Folk from having to dance around some of the questions she can not answer for legal reasons.

Judging from the pieces about Fortress that keep cropping up in out of province media, I doubt they can afford to finish this and are holding this lot as an asset.
I'm happy that the City is attempting something... but to my mind, what they've done is full of holes. City is playing the short game, while Fortress is playing they long game.

Google Fortress & Ponzi... it's pretty clear that their business model is built on unfulfilled promises. Selling the property to another developer doesn't help with the promises for this site. A fully constructed & occupied building is even less helpful under their business model. A site 'under construction' is the ideal scenario. They will bring a strong legal team to the table... this hole is not getting filled by Fortress in the foreseeable future (and if the City were to attempt to fill it, you can be well assured that Fortress would sue the City for a very, very large sum).

By relying on Fortress' engineering firm, the City has effectively given away any leverage they have for this permit renewal. I'm confident it will be renewed (based on Fortress 'advising' their engineer that they 'intend' to resume construction in April), and when it expires in Sept 2019, we'll be having this exact discussion all over again. No simply way for the City to revoke before then... info publicly available is that the site is safe, and safety is the primary (only?) reason for revoking early, as I understand.

If I were Fortress, I'd terminate my contract with this engineering firm & hire a new one immediately after the City issues the renewed permit.

I get the professional standards, APEGS, etc... and I have little doubt that this particular firm is meeting professional obligations. But Fortress can cut ties with them at any time. City should have independent 3rd party engineers involved... not rely on Fortress.

Cities Act only allows cost recovery on permit renewals, but the Act also allows levying of very, very significant monetary penalties... if only the City had the time (*cough* 7 years *cough*) to design supporting Bylaws, fee structure & penalties. If only.

Stack these (presumably unpaid) penalties onto their tax account, and eventually you make it too expensive to continue the con here, they sell the property (or, they don't pay taxes, and the City sells the property), and move on to another city.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:10 PM

I don't think it's so simple as to just fire them. They've sealed the design drawings and presumably approved the work completed on site. If Fortress fires them, they still have a professional liability to the design they have sealed. If that design will fail because of whatever has transpired, they have an obligation to the public to take this as high as possible. As in the go around fortress straight to the City telling them the hole must be filled. They have professional liability to public safety over everything else, including the company that paid them.

Again, we'll see what happens in the next couple months. This is also precedent setting for the City. They must not let this slide any further.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't think it's so simple as to just fire them. They've sealed the design drawings and presumably approved the work completed on site. If Fortress fires them, they still have a professional liability to the design they have sealed. If that design will fail because of whatever has transpired, they have an obligation to the public to take this as high as possible. As in the go around fortress straight to the City telling them the hole must be filled. They have professional liability to public safety over everything else, including the company that paid them.

Again, we'll see what happens in the next couple months. This is also precedent setting for the City. They must not let this slide any further.
True, all of this. My extreme skepticism gets the better of me whenever anyone mentions this 'project.'

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't filling the Capital Pointe pit with water create the new largest lake in Saskatchewan? Think of the possibilities for downtown Regina recreation, stock it with fish, build some diving platforms, etc.
You may want to look up Lake Athabasca.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Or just look at a map in general...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:31 PM
arf

I can't believe I missed this news...

Hundreds to gather at Capital Pointe hole to say 'wow'

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:08 AM

Well from the website now there are only two individuals left....the two principals....check the site as senior staff have been leaving since March 2017.

Margani - Left for Kingsett in March 2017
Myers - Left for an 'independent consultant' in Dec 2017.

Barnard - VP Sales - no longer on site (as of Mar 19/18)
Fogliato - Director? of Acquisitions - no longer on site (as of Mar 19/18)
Smith - who replaced Margani as the 'finance' guy also gone from site (as of Mar 19/18)

Last edited by Pi3141592654; Mar 21, 2018 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:55 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Honestly, it's kind of amazing that someone hasn't vandalized the site yet out of pure spite for Fortress already.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:34 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Honestly, it's kind of amazing that someone hasn't vandalized the site yet out of pure spite for Fortress already.
The metal containers filling in for a covered sidewalk are getting fairly thoroughly tagged inside...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Sask. can't claim Lake Athabasca, half of it's in Alberta!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Sask. can't claim Lake Athabasca, half of it's in Alberta!
...and the supposed #2 lake, Reindeer is 8% in Manitoba! So you may have been correct about Lake CP.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
...and the supposed #2 lake, Reindeer is 8% in Manitoba! So you may have been correct about Lake CP.
Well at least you to have a sense of humour unlike some of your Sask, brethren in here!

PS Thought only those Sask.'ites lost their sense of humour once they moved to Alberta!?!?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:53 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Well at least you to have a sense of humour unlike some of your Sask, brethren in here!

PS Thought only those Sask.'ites lost their sense of humour once they moved to Alberta!?!?
I enjoy some good shade/deprecating humour... I just found that one a little on the weak side...

Better luck next time?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan