HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 10:07 PM

I live right across from the tracks and about a 12 minute walk from the station, and I don't have a problem with the horn. I never notice it unless I'm listening for it specifically. When there are neighbors as far south as Montview complaining and threatening to sell, then I say good riddance. They were never meant to live in the city in the first place. Let someone that wants to be here enjoy the amenities.

For what it's worth, I did hear from a reliable source that both the software issues and hardware hate issues have been resolved, but it was still up to the FRA to sign off on them.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:22 PM

Improved OC bus routes see ridership increase; route reductions planned to further boost productivity
May 22, 2017 By JESSICA KWONG - Orange County Register
Quote:
The Orange County Transportation Authority reallocated resources from lower- to higher-performing bus routes in two major service changes last year in an effort to reverse ridership declines – and it seems to be working for those bolstered lines.

While total average weekday ridership dropped 2.9 percent from March 2016 to March 2017, ridership on routes improved in June and October overhauls increased by 4.2 percent and 10.4 percent, respectively, according to an OCTA staff report presented to the board on Monday, May 22.

“Continued investment in productive routes appears to be helping stem the ridership declines,” the staff report states.

Daily Bruin file photo

Jonathan Friedland: Fewer stops would increase Santa Monica Big Blue Bus ridership
June 1, 2017 - Daily Bruin
Quote:
Taking the bus to Santa Monica from UCLA can take upward of 45 minutes, not including the walk to the Westwood bus stop.

When students have the option of saving time while paying slightly more for an UberPool, it’s no wonder Santa Monica Big Blue Bus ridership has dropped 12 percent in the last fiscal year.
Doesn't matter where you are today's millennial could-be riders don't want to be stuck on a bus forever. Think Denver - and it's clear RTD needs to catch up to today's (potential) ridership mentality. People with Smart Phones want Smart Buses to ride.

Whether you call it an Express bus or BRT, having too many stops is a ridership-killer. I'm not so sure that the planned Colfax BRT doesn't have 2-3 stops too many but it could be worse. At least - if I understand the plan - they will also operate a separate bus route along the corridor.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Stapleton- land of the overpriveleged and exaggerated sense of entitlement. As another Stapleton resident, I'm constantly dismayed at the shit that's complained about.

Anyways, my take is that DTP is arguing that the FRA and PUC are imposing a nebulous guideline (the +\- 10% gate crossing) that cannot be met by the system and that the 15-second guideline should be used instead. RTD seems to be arguing something similar to the FRA. Sounds as if DTP is formally asking RTD to change the performance contract to reflect this change.
As a Stapleton resident, I totally agree! I can hear the train horns from my house, and couldn't care less. Even sleeping with the windows open, I've never woken up from the sound.

I have one neighbor who claims the sound interrupts his sleep, and we're probably a mile from the crossing. If you're that sensitive, I don't know how you ever sleep.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeForever View Post

To be fair, there are several homeowners in the neighborhood that don't mind the train noise, and some (like myself) even enjoy it. It reminds us that we're living in an actual, functioning city. The sound of the train suggests that we're connected to something larger than the immediate world around us and I find it comforting.
I'm the same way. Even enjoy hearing planes overhead when we're under the flight path.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 9:15 PM

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 8:28 PM

Doesn't bother me, so it must not bother anyone! And if it does, well then they're just weaklings and should either move or die!

Love reading this forum...except when I don't.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 2:48 PM
cities|transit|croissants

I'd like to share a brief story, in four photos.

My RTD smart card arrived!

I quickly came to understand why it took RTD so long to develop. The card fights back. Observe the results of my first attempt to open it:

But I would not be deterred! Like RTD itself, I was determined. I don't need handles to work a scissor blade.

Enjoy life in your new prison, cursed smart card. You'll live forever between an obsolete national transit ticket from the Netherlands, and two broken Capital Bikeshare fobs.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:46 PM
Up Up and Away

^
Classic!!!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
My RTD smart card arrived!

That's pretty cool.

At least RTD doesn't have to deal with Xerox any more. Now the challenge is called Conduent. They've got a nice website. That's all I know.

Ride along on one of RTD's new electric buses

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 12:13 AM

Got to be Gold

Photographer: Scott Frances via studioINSITE

Missing link: Denver International Airport and Transit Center
June 08, 2017 by David Barista, Editorial Director - Building Design + Construction
Quote:
Gold Award: A new mixed-use transit center fulfills Denver’s 28-year plan to improve access to the nation’s fifth-busiest airport.

This swooping, bird-in-flight, steel-and-glass building is the realization of Denver International Airport’s 1989 master plan to build a public transit center connecting the city’s RTD commuter rail line to the airport.

The 15-story project is an expansion to the airport’s Jeppesen Terminal and includes three components: a 519-key Westin hotel and conference center, a 82,000-sf plaza with restaurants and retail, and the transit center, which serves more than 18,000 riders daily.

Photographer: Scott Frances via Gensler

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:44 AM

How Dense Will This TOD Be?

Photo courtesy GSA via Denver Post

GSA auctioning 59 acres at Denver Federal Center
Parcel could soon be home to retail and residential development
May 26, 2017 by Joe Vaccarelli - Denver Post

BTW, Rebecca White of CDOT puts a nice warm glow on the pending Central 70 project in this 7News Denver Video.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:52 PM

CDOT’s Bustang service joins forces with Greyhound
JUNE 27, 2017 by NICK YOUNG - Fox31
Quote:
DENVER — Greyhound and Bustang are joining forces in a new ticketing agreement the Colorado Department of Transportation has made to give its passengers more travel options.

The goal is to allow Bustang riders easier access to other national destinations, while also allowing Greyhound the ability to offer rides to smaller Colorado destinations such as Monument, Loveland and Eagle.

“Securing this interline partnership has been a priority since Bustang’s inception,” CDOT director of rransit and rail Mark Imhoff said.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:37 PM

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/29...ght-rail-2018/

Looks like it may be until 2018 before the G line opens.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:35 PM
ColoRADo

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock wants to create a Cabinet-level transportation department

Quote:
Denver Mayor Michael Hancock has ordered a reorganization of the Department of Public Works that could lead to the eventual creation of a new Cabinet-level transportation department.

Some city officials and bike, pedestrian and transit advocates have urged such a move as a way to elevate transportation planning. That and other street functions currently are housed under Public Works, which also manages the sewer system, trash removal, water quality projects and the city’s vehicle fleet...
Denver Post

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:04 PM

^ About darn time this happens!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Denver Mayor Michael Hancock wants to create a Cabinet-level transportation department

Denver Post
FINALLY! If they have any idea who is going to be leading the temporary division and ultimately the department, I'd happily chip in for airfare to send them to this:

https://nacto.org/conference/designi...-chicago-2017/

Denver - City by the bay!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:55 PM

It seemed like the A Line crossings were fine for the past few months (arms came down, train went by, arms went back up), but in the past week, I've twice had to back out/turn around at the Havana St. crossing due to the arms being down with no train. After a 5 minute or so wait with no trains, people started to turn around and find another way. It appears as though, at least at the Havana crossing, it's no longer working well.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 6:53 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvmke View Post
FINALLY! If they have any idea who is going to be leading the temporary division and ultimately the department, I'd happily chip in for airfare to send them to this:

https://nacto.org/conference/designi...-chicago-2017/
If it makes you feel any better, the current Director of Transportation and Mobility (within Public Works) sits on the NACTO Board of Directors.

https://nacto.org/people/board/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the current Director of Transportation and Mobility (within Public Works) sits on the NACTO Board of Directors.

https://nacto.org/people/board/
That is encouraging, had no idea, thanks for the info!

Denver - City by the bay!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:37 PM

So curious how doable this would be.... I used to live in Seattle while working for a development comapany. One of the biggest challenges to the property we built was parking. The property I worked at was luckily across the street from the new Amazon HQ so it was reasonably easy to overcome the parking restrictions (.62 parking ratio), as most residents worked for Amazon. From my understanding, this was a trend the city wanted to force people from using or owning a vehicle. The city doesn't have the room nor the rescourses to expand their roadways and so they are taking initiatives to make owning a car downtown so difficult people willing will use other methods to get around. The downside is the city never built a good public transportation system (other than bus or uber), it becomes difficult to get from neighborhood to neighborhood. Denver is fortunately not there but I'm starting to see signs that we are headed there pretty fast. I currently live in Union Station and I'm lucky enough that I work downtown so I rarely use my car. BUT if I want to go to Rino, or Baker, or Sloan's or any other neighborhood I most likely drive as there isn't an easy way to get there (uber maybe and I'm not a fan of buses). One thing I did like about Seattle was their use of street cars. So I was thinking that this is something Denver should pursue as a means to get people to give up their cars. If we had one that ran up and down colfax, broadway/ Brighton , 38th/ park ave, Colorado, Sheridan, and Speer... and we connected that to existing light rail systems then one would be able to get around central denver with out a need for a car. If denver initiated a 400 a year income tax and a percentage based tax on businesses then it might be doable. I just know most people have a thing against buses so expanding the bus system might not do too much, bike lanes are great but are the best in the winter and ride sharing won't change the amount of traffic on the road that much. Seems like the would be the best way to really impact the amount of cars on the road and make Denver a city where you can be fine with out a car.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West