HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 2:51 PM
the first stamp is free

^ not that I don't believe you, but I can't figure how maybe an additional thousand pounds or so would render that chimney unstable.

I guess it's possible, but if this is true, someone really shit the bed on the design.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 2:57 PM
What could go wrong?

I have heard that rumour before and find it hard to believe that a sign could cause structural problems for the Solar chimney if that is where it was designed to go. I think most likely they had early renderings of the building with the sign on the chimney but chose to later place it on the penthouse for whatever reason.

I like the look of the solar chimney and am happy that there is no sign on it, structural problems or not.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 4:33 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I like the look of the bare chimney as well. I just wish they would put some cool lighting in or around it...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
it was the plan till the solarow tower was not built properly so it can't handle the extra load
so not true. Yes, the chimney has its issues and yes the logo was suppose to be on it, but you have to see the bracing that's needed for the sign. It's not possible on GLASS on the chimney ... also, there were will be the same sign on the East side of the building. We're erecting the stage right now for them to do it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I like the look of the bare chimney as well. I just wish they would put some cool lighting in or around it...
there will be lighting for it, inside and on top, just electricians haven't done it yet

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 6:54 PM
the first stamp is free

^ good to hear

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 12:30 AM
surely you agree with me

the glass part of the solar chimney is there so the sun heats up the top of the plenum and naturally draws the air up and out....putting a shadow casting sign on it would be completely counter productive to its function.....unless it was some kind of transparent sign that allowed the light through, but invisible signs tend to not have the best visibility from a distance.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:01 AM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:33 AM
Capitalist

From the CBC article posted above.
Quote:
A Winnipeg skyscraper designed by Toronto and Winnipeg architectural firms has won the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat's 2009 award for the best tall building in the Americas.

Manitoba Hydro Place, which opened its doors to employees last December, was a joint venture between Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects of Toronto and Winnipeg's Smith Carter Architects and Engineers Inc.

Prairie Architects Inc. of Winnipeg served as the client's consultant on the project.

Quote:
The 23-storey, energy-efficient building on Winnipeg's Portage Avenue took 3½ years to complete at a cost of $300 million.

Interesting ... but unconvincing.

First of all ... the building started construction waaayyyyy back in 2005 ... we are now in 2009 and it is still not complete. Too bad the hippy news can't do math, but thats definately more than 3 and a half years. The actual project began back in 2004 if you include the demolision of the site. Sure the government started moving there employees into an incomplete building over the new year, for the saked of optics, but that doesn't mean the building was even close to being complete. No I think the CBC needs to check its facts before misleading the public in a obvious atempt to shine a positive light on this mismanaged development, incometent project management and the NDP. Who was in charge and who is responsible??

The final cost of the building is still out.. as it is not yet complete, but lets pretend that the 300 million is in the ball park. What is the cost overrun as a percentage of the orginal estimated cost?? 50% over budget?? .. what a glorious achievement for all involved.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:47 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
No, the recent report says May 2008 for the Hydro Tower to be completed.
(posted a few years ago)

.... of course this report was released after the original completion date was put back.

We are now at Aug 2009 .... and guess what..... NOT COMPLETE

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

alot of it newflyer is waiting for product and labor shortages and the amount of custom work going into the thing

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 7:47 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
alot of it newflyer is waiting for product and labor shortages and the amount of custom work going into the thing
Once again .. this is a planning issue. I don't see other large scale projects running WAYYYY past due. Also keep in mind that there is a recession occuring and a shortage of labour should not be an issue. Perhaps if they weren't fixated on only using unionized workers this project might have been done on time. Ahhh you gotta love how the tax payers are being taken to town to support unionized workers. All in the name of keeping the NDP well financed.

In addition lets consider how many changes were made to the project during the construction phase. From what I hear changing floor plans weren't uncommon, even while workers were already moving in. Thats planning for you.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:24 PM

the the 21 floors that are being used, the cubicle setup is being constantly changed. In the middle of these rooms they have these glass 'brainstorming' rooms ... these are getting made bigger, moved, etc.

It's an never-ending nightmare ... my job there is almost complete. We just have to finish the 24th north and south soffits (you can see the scaffold erected).

I'm heading off to a new job, Rocanville, SK to put up an addition to a potash mine.

This job, run by PCL, is completely mishandled. This building SHOULD be done. But then, Hydro comes in and wants something else done. Seriously, they put in tiles in the lobby elevators. Looked niced. Hydro had them replace it because it was too 'rough'. So more cost there. Then PCL head-safety man, comes in the building and will start kicking construction workers home because safety-glasses violations.

Ok, I'm all for safety but you have Hydro people working in the building. I know when to wear safety glasses, but if I'm walking down a hallway ... what magically is going to fly up and penetrate my eye? Give me a break. Hydro has their own people walking around the construction site without the necessary PPE ... BUT, that's ok they're Hydro people. They dont have rules.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 6:35 PM
Capitalist

You make a very good point. Whats safe for hydro employees should be just as safe for construction workers. Or the reverse is also true... what safety is nesessary for construction workers, should be necessary for those same Hydro employees in the same area.

It is shamefull that Hydro would put there employees in a building under construction, and put them at risk, just to hide incompetence of management and there inability to plan this building. I guess having hydro employees walking around the office with safety glasses would make for bad optics and would likely increase the level of employee dissatisfaction with the building. People would complain and thats the last thing the NDP want with this project.

This project is far beyond just a slight screw up... and they were willing to risk there own employees getting hurt just to say they have workers in the building. Where are the safety inpectors protecting the employees? If a private company did this it would be all over the news .... the local media are pethetic order takers. It makes me sick.

Last edited by newflyer; Aug 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 6:52 PM

Sounds like someone has an axe to grind. Or an obsession. Or both.

BTW, it's "their"...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 10:40 PM

Saw the mb hydro sign recently installed on the west side.........not striking at all,very small. The original idea of a chimney mounted sign would have had much more impact. Not all that impressed with the final product of a building.oh sorry should have said a work STILL in progress

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 12:45 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssDust View Post
but if I'm walking down a hallway ... what magically is going to fly up and penetrate my eye?

something...anything, it doesn't really matter. You're required to wear them, you have to wear them. Often there are lines showing where you have to wear them and where you don't have to. The lack of a safety culture is one of the huge problems that exists in Manitoba, and so far, the government has has little luck in changing it. Hydro unfortunately is one of the worst culprits.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 2:03 PM

Encana Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Once again .. this is a planning issue. I don't see other large scale projects running WAYYYY past due. Also keep in mind that there is a recession occuring and a shortage of labour should not be an issue. Perhaps if they weren't fixated on only using unionized workers this project might have been done on time. Ahhh you gotta love how the tax payers are being taken to town to support unionized workers. All in the name of keeping the NDP well financed.

In addition lets consider how many changes were made to the project during the construction phase. From what I hear changing floor plans weren't uncommon, even while workers were already moving in. Thats planning for you.
And how smoothly is Encana's new office tower progressing in your city?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 5:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
something...anything, it doesn't really matter. You're required to wear them, you have to wear them. Often there are lines showing where you have to wear them and where you don't have to. The lack of a safety culture is one of the huge problems that exists in Manitoba, and so far, the government has has little luck in changing it. Hydro unfortunately is one of the worst culprits.
the safty culture is failing because its been put out as its the law vs its your eyes ur hands ur own life here mentality............ plus all the stupid extra paper work one has to do places i have worked the paper work is a full time job...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 5:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
And how smoothly is Encana's new office tower progressing in your city?
alot faster then hydro did

http://camera1.matthewsdev.com/
http://camera2.matthewsdev.com/
http://camera3.matthewsdev.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan