HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:41 PM
James

I haven't heard anything and they don't respond to their emails, so that's cool.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I haven't heard anything and they don't respond to their emails, so that's cool.
Thanks for responding. I feel better knowing I wasn't the only person who was ignored after emailing them.

Considering they were supposed to have started construction by now and there's been no information on this in forever I'm guessing this project is dead. I know the location wasn't ideal being so close to the TL, but I was excited for the possibility of another high rise. #OhWell

Last edited by Dan In Real Life; Sep 28, 2018 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:02 PM
James

*previous post was deleted*

Last edited by jaga185; Jul 13, 2018 at 9:03 PM. Reason: deleted

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 12:10 PM

Buried in a story about another hotel project proposed above the Joske's building is this tidbit:

"JMJ Development also plans to build a 24-story apartment tower on the River Walk. The tower was originally expected to break ground in late 2016, but construction will now begin in January, Rhodes said. Construction was delayed when JMJ decided to put the project’s parking across the street, rather than at the bottom of the building, which required it to redesign the project and buy another property."

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...m_campaign=123

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:29 PM
James

Well at least we know it's alive. Plus, the redesign could be nicer than what we already have as the design.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Well at least we know it's alive. Plus, the redesign could be nicer than what we already have as the design.
Out of curiosity, has this gone before the HDRC. I am excited about the project, but I am not going to get too excited until I see an approved design by the HDRC.

Unless Sculley told them to just build it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:14 PM

So this is a separate project?

As San Antonians and their elected leaders debate the future of Alamo Plaza, a Dallas developer is drawing up plans for a 14-story Hard Rock Hotel that will loom over the revered battleground.

https://m.mysanantonio.com/real-esta...l-13099067.php

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Buried in a story about another hotel project proposed above the Joske's building is this tidbit:

"JMJ Development also plans to build a 24-story apartment tower on the River Walk. The tower was originally expected to break ground in late 2016, but construction will now begin in January, Rhodes said. Construction was delayed when JMJ decided to put the project’s parking across the street, rather than at the bottom of the building, which required it to redesign the project and buy another property."

I stand corrected. Glad to hear it's not dead. Hoping for a better design than the previous renderings.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:28 PM

I'd like to see more glass in the redesign

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:47 PM
James

I think it would be cool if they were able reflect the Tower Life in some way.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
So this is a separate project?

As San Antonians and their elected leaders debate the future of Alamo Plaza, a Dallas developer is drawing up plans for a 14-story Hard Rock Hotel that will loom over the revered battleground.

https://m.mysanantonio.com/real-esta...l-13099067.php
OMG! Here we go again with all the opposition to a GREAT project atop the Joskes Building!!
JUST BUILD IT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:08 PM

Might just be copy/paste information as it relates only to the fact that it is the same company in trying to build that hotel. I don't see how they can even breakground; nothing has been shown to the review board at all. I want to be optimistic, but I think our building boom was literally three towers (Canopy, the Arts, and Frost). Maybe something big will happens in 5 years. We need many projects being worked on at the same time and nothing like that seems to ever happen in San Antonio, I have no idea why.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Might just be copy/paste information as it relates only to the fact that it is the same company in trying to build that hotel. I don't see how they can even breakground; nothing has been shown to the review board at all. I want to be optimistic, but I think our building boom was literally three towers (Canopy, the Arts, and Frost). Maybe something big will happens in 5 years. We need many projects being worked on at the same time and nothing like that seems to ever happen in San Antonio, I have no idea why.
"...construction will now begin in January, Rhodes said"

Pretty clearly this info is fresh.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Lower Broadway has multiple midrise buildings going up now and more planned to start . Hemisfair will start with their buildings by the end of the year. The Durango looks to start within one year. This isn't including all the 5-7 story apartment buildings going up around downtown that are adding thousands of new residents to the downtown core. Add the building in this thread and that's not too shabby.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 8:08 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Ever the optimist. lol

This was clearly not a copy and paste statement or information. How you came to that conclusion is baffling. Also, a January groundbreaking isn’t out of question without hdrc submissions, etc. There’s a six month window for all that paper to get filed and approved.

Also, you’re incredibly incorrect in your assessment of the current boom and your timeline of the next boom. This boom isn’t going to end any time so.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 8:36 PM

For sure! There is ALOT more going on here than just those 3 projects. I said it once, I'll say it again, SA is on FIRE right now! & I agree that it isnt going to end anytime soon!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post

Also from the article:

Bexar County Commissioner Tommy Calvert, whose precinct would include the tower, said he would support the project in the interest of modernizing downtown. He believes that San Antonio’s small skyline relative to cities like Austin is hampering tourism.

“My heart breaks that Austin’s downtown has so badly exceeded the aesthetic modernization that ours has. It’s really sad,” he said. “It’s just a difference of opinion about our city’s future. It’s the old versus the new... It’s causing our tourism industry to become stale and boring.”

I wonder if all the sourpusses around here who give me flak for having the same opinion, will badger Tommy Calvert as well.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 11:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post

I wonder if all the sourpusses around here who give me flak for having the same opinion, will badger Tommy Calvert as well.
Gladly. Is Tommy Calvert on this forum? What's his forum name?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Gladly. Is Tommy Calvert on this forum? What's his forum name?
I'm sure his email is easily accessible.

Can I put you in the "against" column for a possible HR Hotel then?

I'd still rather have the first proposal, and that it was abandoned because of a little shadow, for a few hours a day in Winter, is a shame.

Glad the JMJ tower is still going to happen. Hopefully with a more modern redesign.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 12:04 AM

Tommy Calvert is barking up the wrong tree while beating a straw man with a red herring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio