HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:35 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
St. Mary's should not an intersection with the perimeter. RIRO on both sides, no crossing. Use St. Anne's or Pembina if you need to make a left turn or go into the city from south of the perimeter. And eventually make St. Anne's an interchange. It's a horribly dangerous intersection, especially with the entrance to Maple Grove right at it. And it doesn't really need to have full access, it's not overly busy.

I know some people would freak out that god forbid they add 3 minutes to their drive, but it's perfectly normal in every other city that sometimes you have to go past your destination a bit on freeways and use an interchange to turn around and go where you want to go.
Is that actually true? With the huge growth in south St. Vital, I'm having a hard time believing that a major intersection could be closed off in this way. I think people would rightly freak out. It's a non-starter so it's not even worth thinking about. I could see Dakota being RIRO eventually to take some of the pressure off St. Mary's, but there need to be interchanges at both St. Anne's and St. Mary's. I'm not buying the "every other city" argument ... usually every other city is a lot more like Winnipeg than Winnipeggers imagine.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:38 PM

^ Not a chance that the city would block off either St. Mary's or St. Anne's. They're both way too busy.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:16 PM

Never said to block off St. Anne's.

Well I obviously think an interchange at St. Mary's too would be good, that's 20 years away. At least. It's just a dangerous intersection, and I don't think it'd be that bad to have to go to Pembina or St. Anne's (then take Warde over to St. Mary's, if you're trying to get to something off south St. Mary's).

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:24 PM

^ At the very least MIT should be expanding the capacity of the turning lanes and extending the merge lanes... St. Mary's in particular strikes me as underbuilt and pretty treacherous relative to traffic volumes and speeds.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:29 PM

Yeah, that's my issue with that intersection - not that it exists, but that it's really dangerous. I think they really need to look at changing the access to Maple Grove Park. When people coming west on the perimeter yield to St. Mary's and want to turn into the park, they end up blocking people making a left turn from EB Perimeter to St. Mary's, and often get stuck in the middle of the highway. That, or put a median there to prevent left turns into the park, and force people to head up a bit and make a u-turn, which is actually what Google Maps says to do.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ At the very least MIT should be expanding the capacity of the turning lanes and extending the merge lanes... St. Mary's in particular strikes me as underbuilt and pretty treacherous relative to traffic volumes and speeds.
"For the speeds"??? Sorry, the only intersection on the Perimeter underbuilt for the speeds is Gunn Rd with that stupid cross traffic left turn, times two in a 100 km/h posted zone with vehicles commonly doing 120 km/h.

In terms of St Marys, the traffic volume south of the Perimeter is minimal. It doesn't need a full interchange, a diamond should be sufficient. Save a few bucks on that and throw a diamond up at St Anne's too.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:00 PM

^ Diamonds would be more than sufficient for St. Anne's and St. Mary's. At most you might need a EB to NB loop ramp at St. Mary's. It would be a huge improvement.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:43 PM

Diamonds would likely be sufficient and just about all the current traffic signals. If we can get the perimeter itself mostly free-flowing, the cross streets can stand to have signals still.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
"For the speeds"??? Sorry, the only intersection on the Perimeter underbuilt for the speeds is Gunn Rd with that stupid cross traffic left turn, times two in a 100 km/h posted zone with vehicles commonly doing 120 km/h.

In terms of St Marys, the traffic volume south of the Perimeter is minimal. It doesn't need a full interchange, a diamond should be sufficient. Save a few bucks on that and throw a diamond up at St Anne's too.
Gunn gunn gunn. Yes we know you live there. It's just like that fabled 4 lane highway to OakBank.

We had this conversation a month ago and posters brought up actual traffic volumes for you and you were quiet for some time on this. I guess you forgot that.

There is NO comparison between GUNN and St Mary's.

Here are FACTS.
St Mary's is an actual road that will take you 65 Kms south of the city.
Gunn is a dead end road at the perimeter that should never have been allowed to join it.
St Mary's was there before the perimeter even existed.
St Mary's takes a large amount of Niverville traffic and St Adolphe traffic. Both towns are boom towns for people escaping city taxes.
Take Warde ??. Lmfao. Get real. I dare you to drive any of these intersections in the morning rush hour and evening. Warde would be a cluster f*ck with all the traffic routed on it.
As for the person who says take pembina ?? So his idea is to detour all the way to Bishop which is already over used and take that. I do not know if that poster realizes there is a river in between St Mary's and Pembina ..........

Either way neither St Mary's will never be closed. Gunn however just might get closed.

Roads that needs interchanges that handle way more traffic then Gunn or Pipeline are

Highway 6
Highway 2 and 3
St Mary's
St Anne's
Highway 15

Also how many people have died on highway 15 for your super highway cause Cory ? Zero this year.
Highway 3 however is at Four so far this year and many seriously injured. Those are all people commuting on highway 3. So if we were to argue that four lane highway you always tell us about. Then highway 3 should be twinned at least to Sperling MB.

I drive all these highways weekly. Daily some of them. I drive the entire perimeter highway daily. I know first hand which intersections and highways are death traps. I Have witnessed some of these actual accidents to boot.

So take it from me. Gunn is really on the short stick.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:31 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

I don't understand how you can only build half an interchange but, aside from that, you build with a plan. A simple, inexpensive diamond is fine for St. Mary's but you certainly don't build half an interchange with the expectation that nothing will ever change. Especially in such a high growth area.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:23 PM

http://www.chrisd.ca/2017/08/01/sout.../#.WYC4quSWxPY

Province to Redesign South Perimeter Highway, Create St. Norbert Bypass

Link to the Provinces release.
http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=41940

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:25 PM
Heart of the Continent

I don't get the St. Norbert bypass coming before the Headinley bypass.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:39 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

My God they used the word 'freeway'!!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:40 PM
There is always a way

^And 'grade separation', and 'Service road'! That's crazy talk

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Having traffic signals on the south perimeter at St. Annes and St. Marys for the last 40 years was ridiculous, with the increase in traffic volume and vehicles waiting a couple light cycles to get through on the perimeter now borders on insanity. The south perimeter should have been made free flowing years ago and should have been done before the lightly used CentrePort Way saw the light of day!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:44 PM

This study is the first step in the right direction. Even though we all know what should be done, this will flesh it out. Hopefully funding is secured over the next two years (expected duration of this study).

I always laugh at the interstate comparison. No need for that, just call it a freeway.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:47 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Having traffic signals on the south perimeter at St. Annes and St. Marys for the last 40 years was ridiculous, with the increase in traffic volume and vehicles waiting a couple light cycles to get through on the perimeter now borders on insanity. The south perimeter should have been made free flowing years ago and should have been done before the lightly used CentrePort Way saw the light of day!
I'm sure that it never would have either, except, federal funding...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:06 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
This study is the first step in the right direction. Even though we all know what should be done, this will flesh it out. Hopefully funding is secured over the next two years (expected duration of this study).

I always laugh at the interstate comparison. No need for that, just call it a freeway.
For time-sensitive trucking and export industries, it might be a selling point to be able to say that a certain recognized standard has been observed.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:28 PM

This news is long overdue, and the need for action is growing more urgent by the year considering how suburban subdivisions are now being built right up to the edge of the South Perimeter. It's becoming painfully clear that the 1960s-spec Perimeter is no longer up to the job of moving growing amounts of traffic.

In much the same way that the twinned PTH 75 was Filmon's big highway legacy in Southern Manitoba, the twinned TCH was Doer's and CCW was Selinger's, it looks like the improved Perimeter will be Pallister's Southern Manitoba highway legacy.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
For time-sensitive trucking and export industries, it might be a selling point to be able to say that a certain recognized standard has been observed.
From a business perspective, I guess it makes sense in trying to woo Americans by saying we have an interstate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan