HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:19 PM

Arrow Austin | The Arconia (501 W 24th St.) | 305 Feet | 30 Floors | Proposed

Not sure if this project has already been mentioned here, but there's a proposed 307 unit apartment with ground floor retail on the Starbucks lot at 24th and Nueces: https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...eritage-trees/

Not sure how far along it is but at least the environmental commission recommended removal of the heritage trees that could have stopped the project. Also not sure how tall this thing is going to be. The 320" tower two blocks over under construction is 241 units (800 beds) and a similar sized lot so it seems plausible that this one will be a similar height?

Last edited by Urbannizer; Oct 1, 2022 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippi View Post
Not sure if this project has already been mentioned here, but there's a proposed 307 unit apartment with ground floor retail on the Starbucks lot at 24th and Nueces: https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...eritage-trees/

Not sure how far along it is but at least the environmental commission recommended removal of the heritage trees that could have stopped the project. Also not sure how tall this thing is going to be. The 320" tower two blocks over under construction is 241 units (800 beds) and a similar sized lot so it seems plausible that this one will be a similar height?
I'm not sure how to post pictures yet, but page 3 of the tree variance app has some massing options indicating a 30-story structure on the site. Site is at 504 W 24th St./2405 Nueces Street.
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=357551

Edit: Great find, slippi!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyvilleJ-Rad View Post
I'm not sure how to post pictures yet, but page 3 of the tree variance app has some massing options indicating a 30-story structure on the site.
Here's those rudimentary massings:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:39 PM

WC projects can be confusing because they use two or three addresses and change names frequently. But I believe this is a new project. It's by Lincoln Ventures who is currently building the 30-story Waterloo tower in WC. Nice find. This is deserving of its own thread. I'll move these posts to it it when I have more time.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:12 PM

Aw I like that cute little building with the starbucks, sad to see it go but yay for more density. hopefully no ugly parking podium?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:13 PM

Here's the location from the Environmental Commission backup file. The only building permit filed so far was a pre-development site tree assessment from December which was what the Environmental Commission addressed.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=357551

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:32 PM
Resident Moron

I bet this is the West Campus building that is going to care about materials, finish and not just be a giant unnecessarily funky stucko box.

(Build it)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Aw I like that cute little building with the starbucks, sad to see it go but yay for more density. hopefully no ugly parking podium?
... and before that it was an even cuter cafe: Les Amis. Legend. closed on '97.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Oh wow! Yes, I was going to say...at first when they mentioned Starbuck's in West Campus, my mind went to the one on 15th (or is that 12th?), even though that is not really West Campus. I always think of the building on 24th as Les Amis even though the Starbuck's has been there for at least 15 years. I hope they are going to move that spectacular 32" Red Oak!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 2:08 AM

https://www.kvue.com/amp/article/mon...9-ff6bfd74dbbb

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas — On Tuesday, University of Texas President Jay Hartzell noted the need for housing for students and staff around the campus in his State of the University address. Earlier this year, Wuest Group – an Austin-based civil engineering, land survey and development firm – applied to demolish the Starbucks and Smoothie King one block off campus and build up an apartment complex in their place.

Wuest Group declined to comment on the project, citing that the application is still going through the process and no plans are finalized yet. According to the City of Austin Development Services Department, the application was received in July and is still under review. That review may take a few more months, followed by additional proposed development, including details like tree planting, parking and information about the proposed buildings.

"The timeline for that review would depend on the complexity of the project and other factors in the review process," a spokesperson for the department said.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:04 AM
Voice of the Modern World

It’s like West Campus has really upped its highrise design game the last few years and it always had a strong base to start from to begin with. Some of these have to be some of the best designed student housing in the US.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:35 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I may be against the crowd here, but I believe that structure warrants protection. It is highly reminiscent of the French Quarter, but with a distinct local Germanic influence.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I may be against the crowd here, but I believe that structure warrants protection. It is highly reminiscent of the French Quarter, but with a distinct local Germanic influence.
when was it built? i can't tell if it's historic or just a Epcot-style recent construction.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
when was it built? i can't tell if it's historic or just a Epcot-style recent construction.
I'm seeing 1960 on the travis county property search website. I like the style of the building though

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Les Amis has a historical website. There was a documentary about it called Viva Les Amis

It's got a gallery and a trailer for the film.

Where the Smoothie King is now used the be Inner Sanctum Records.

I think that whole little complex was called Bluebonnet Plaza.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
co-sign

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:28 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Les Amis has a historical website. There was a documentary about it called Viva Les Amis

It's got a gallery and a trailer for the film.

Where the Smoothie King is now used the be Inner Sanctum Records.

I think that whole little complex was called Bluebonnet Plaza.
It was. I REALLY believe this structure warrants historic status and preservation.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
co-sign
I am in Denver. Any way y’all can stir up drama with the city or an ANC?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:28 AM

Quote:
It was. I REALLY believe this structure warrants historic status and preservation.
Settle down, everyone. This thing was built in 1960. Nostalgia alone doesn't warrant preservation status. I have nostalgia for lots of buildings that have no architectural or historical merit.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post
Settle down, everyone. This thing was built in 1960. Nostalgia alone doesn't warrant preservation status. I have nostalgia for lots of buildings that have no architectural or historical merit.
Being 80 years old in a city that is only 182 years old is certainly worth more than nostalgia. This building, furthermore, actually does have architectural and historical merit. See the many reasons posted about above.

Don’t swoop in, tell everyone to calm down, say this building doesn’t deserve protection, and then fail to provide any reasoning whatsoever for why it does not other than “nostalgia≠historic.”

This stuff IS local history. We need to stop thinking that the only stuff worth preserving is rich stodgy people’s homes who had a hand in the political decisions of our early days. Some of those people made horrible decisions, like my great great grandfather:

Quote:
Mayes was elected Lieutenant Governor of Texas in 1912 despite not campaigning for the position. While Lt. Governor, Mayes played a notable role in the controversy surrounding the Daughters of the Republic of Texas' custodianship of the Alamo Mission in San Antonio, siding with Clara Driscoll over Adina De Zavala to demolish most of the remaining portions of the site's long barracks. He made this decision while governor Oscar Colquitt had left the state on business. This event became known as the "Second Battle of the Alamo."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Harding_Mayes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin