HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 12:48 AM
Registered San Diegan

Does anyone know when the city council will take up the One Paseo project?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 12:53 AM

Vue on 5th update

Bottom level pour in progress.... four mixer trucks on street at a time, plus base of tower crane in place..

Around 10AM:

Around 3PM:

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:30 AM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
Does anyone know when the city council will take up the One Paseo project?
Do you really think this will kind of be a watershed moment for San Diego County if One Paseo is allowed to go through as proposed by Kilroy? Between this project and Pacific Highlands Ranch a couple miles east of the 56 that area will be completely Orange Countified and make it feel rather bustling. I will admit the area is quite congested already I know it well having a dentist across the street from Ruth's Chris on El Camino Real. I do think that eventually SD will have to reach a point where traffic gets so bad major investment in transit will be needed. Kind of like what happened in LA ten years ago and they passed Measure R.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Do you really think this will kind of be a watershed moment for San Diego County if One Paseo is allowed to go through as proposed by Kilroy? Between this project and Pacific Highlands Ranch a couple miles east of the 56 that area will be completely Orange Countified and make it feel rather bustling. I will admit the area is quite congested already I know it well having a dentist across the street from Ruth's Chris on El Camino Real. I do think that eventually SD will have to reach a point where traffic gets so bad major investment in transit will be needed. Kind of like what happened in LA ten years ago and they passed Measure R.
I hope One Paseo happens but I will be surprised if it does. IF it does happen though, developments like it or what's happening in Pacific Highlands Ranch won't be what's wrong with traffic in the area. The problem is there are very few ways to get from point A to point B. The only way to get north or south is on the 5 and the only way to get east or west is on the 56. Traffic wouldn't be so bad if there were a few other ways to get anywhere in that part of town.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 5:34 PM

Drove by Bosa's Broadway & Pacific Highway lot yesterday, and they were chewing up the asphalt surface. Looks like the precursor to an official ground-breaking...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 10:10 PM

^ That is good news. Pch and Broadway will look great when finally built.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 7:24 AM
Category Five

Hopefully the council goes thru with this, not sure why we haven't hosted the All-Star game in Petco Park.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...baseball-2016/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
Hopefully the council goes thru with this, not sure why we haven't hosted the All-Star game in Petco Park.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...baseball-2016/
MLB gives preference to cities who haven't hosted in a while, but only if they build a new stadium (or significantly renovate/update an old one). The National League hosts every other year, and there's been a decent backlog of other teams waiting for their turn (SD last hosted in 1992 at the Murph). So, when you go down the list of other hosts since Petco opened, it's not as surprising as you'd think that Petco hasn't hosted yet.

Minute Maid Park (Houston) - new stadium opened before Petco
PNC Park (Pittsburgh) - new stadium opened before Petco
AT&T Park (SF) - new stadium opened before Petco
New Busch Stadium (St. Louis) - new stadium opened after Petco, but StL hadn't hosted since 1966
Chase Field (AZ) - new stadium opened before Petco
Citi Field (NY) - new stadium opened after Petco, but the Mets hadn't hosted since 1964
Great American Ballpark (Cincy) - new stadium opened before Petco

That being said, I think San Diego has an excellent shot at hosting in 2017. The only competition (i.e. city with a new stadium that has waited longer) is DC. However, Baltimore is considered the American League front runner for 2016, and MLB won't want to double up on that metropolitan area in consecutive years.

If Baltimore gets '16, I think Petco is a lock for '17.

Last edited by nezbn22; Dec 12, 2014 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 10:32 AM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northparkwizard View Post
It's a novelty (at least for me) that this hotel will have a car lift off of 6th avenue.

While I imagine the hotel would be for a higher and better economic use, it says something positive about the economy that proposals include tearing down some buildings that outwardly appear to be in good shape (on Google Street View), rather than just building on empty lots.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:25 AM
Babylon falling

Does anyone know the status of the empty lot on Park Blvd. just south of Sprouts next to a church? I find it hard to believe the Segal project on Robinson got going before this one. There was a rendering up for a 5 floor building (retail on bottom) but that isn't on the fence anymore. Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:59 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by embora View Post
It's a novelty (at least for me) that this hotel will have a car lift off of 6th avenue.

While I imagine the hotel would be for a higher and better economic use, it says something positive about the economy that proposals include tearing down some buildings that outwardly appear to be in good shape (on Google Street View), rather than just building on empty lots.
I saw the car lift as well. Seems kind of funny, but eh. And lets hope there are more infill projects to come. The economy is humming, so we should start to see more proposals come forward (and hopefully for residential development).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 6:16 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Does anyone know the status of the empty lot on Park Blvd. just south of Sprouts next to a church? I find it hard to believe the Segal project on Robinson got going before this one. There was a rendering up for a 5 floor building (retail on bottom) but that isn't on the fence anymore. Thanks.
I searched the city's development website and found the permit history for the lot. There was a 36-unit project approved back in 2009, but the permit expired a few years later. As of now, the lot is owned or leased by the city, and will be home to a temporary fire station while a permanent one is being built at the old location (I'm assuming this is the Hillcrest Fire station remodel).

So for now, it's going to be a public facility, and thereafter no idea. The old mid-rise project is dead.

I searched to see what was going on at the recently cleared site at Normal Street and Harvey Milk, but apparently there is only a demo permit issues for the location.

Interesting tid-bit: where Jonathan Segal's Mr. Robinson project is going up at Park and Robinson, an older project called "The Memphis" (23-units) was set to be built before the recession tanked it. It would have been a complementary piece to "The Cairo" and "The Egyptian." I hope Segal's project has more units.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 4:13 PM

I'm glad to see Bosa finally moving forward on PCH and Broadway. I wonder what he is up to here.http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/de...ding-purchase/

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 8:34 PM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
I searched the city's development website and found the permit history for the lot. There was a 36-unit project approved back in 2009, but the permit expired a few years later. As of now, the lot is owned or leased by the city, and will be home to a temporary fire station while a permanent one is being built at the old location (I'm assuming this is the Hillcrest Fire station remodel).

So for now, it's going to be a public facility, and thereafter no idea. The old mid-rise project is dead.

I searched to see what was going on at the recently cleared site at Normal Street and Harvey Milk, but apparently there is only a demo permit issues for the location.

Interesting tid-bit: where Jonathan Segal's Mr. Robinson project is going up at Park and Robinson, an older project called "The Memphis" (23-units) was set to be built before the recession tanked it. It would have been a complementary piece to "The Cairo" and "The Egyptian." I hope Segal's project has more units.
Thanks Fan: I felt that would be such a prime spot to live you can walk to easily to things on East Side of Hillcrest off University and to the University Heights strip on Park, obvioulsy easy access to Sprouts... That stretch of Park is so tired it really needed those exta residential units. You would think the market is perfect to move forward with a project there like you said the economy seems to be humming.

Oh I walked through Golden Hill extensively a couple days ago and I got to wondering about its density figures. It is just about as built up as City Heights or more but I'm sure there aren't as many people living in each unit as in CH. Golden Hill has a very unique feel. What are your thoughts on living there and where it is headed?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:59 AM

Planning Chair

I just got elected as Chair of the National City Planning Commission! WHOOO HOO! I really hope that this coming year we as a Planning Commission can be more proactive in trying to attract some high-quality, mixed use development in our Downtown. If you guys haven't checked out National City lately and all the public improvements, the road diets, bike lanes, street lights, bulb-outs, and expanded sidewalks, come on down!

This got repainted btw. It looks better IMO.

Not the prettiest building in town, but hey the lighting is an improvement.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:16 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman61988 View Post
I just got elected as Chair of the National City Planning Commission! WHOOO HOO! I really hope that this coming year we as a Planning Commission can be more proactive in trying to attract some high-quality, mixed use development in our Downtown. If you guys haven't checked out National City lately and all the public improvements, the road diets, bike lanes, street lights, bulb-outs, and expanded sidewalks, come on down!

[/IMG]
Great news Bushman! Glad to hear that someone representing our shared interest is on the planning commission. National City has amazing potential and seems to have come a long way. With what seems to be a progressive attitude toward mixed use and high rise development, great things can happen there as the gateway to South Bay.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 9:54 PM
Registered San Diegan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman61988 View Post
I just got elected as Chair of the National City Planning Commission! WHOOO HOO! I really hope that this coming year we as a Planning Commission can be more proactive in trying to attract some high-quality, mixed use development in our Downtown. If you guys haven't checked out National City lately and all the public improvements, the road diets, bike lanes, street lights, bulb-outs, and expanded sidewalks, come on down.
Congrats bushman! It's funny, I just got back from visiting an apt I'll be house sitting at the end of the year in National City. Its actually in that converted hotel tower that's condos now. I walked around the area and I was surprised at how lively it was down there. I hope they get some new (high-rise) development in there soon.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 9:58 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Oh I walked through Golden Hill extensively a couple days ago and I got to wondering about its density figures. It is just about as built up as City Heights or more but I'm sure there aren't as many people living in each unit as in CH. Golden Hill has a very unique feel. What are your thoughts on living there and where it is headed?
I enjoy living here. It's very walkable, has an eclectic mix of incomes, with a balanced gentrified vs grittiness that I appreciate. However, it's nowhere near its potential, and the locals plan on keeping the neighborhood as tiny as possible to keep outsiders from having a piece. Eventually GH will end up a lot like Point Loma or Mission Hills, exclusive and unaffordable. The area has great bones and improving infrastructure, all the right pieces to become a great urban neighborhood. But that's not going to happen, at least not until these old farts die out and more progressive generations can update the community plan to allow for denser and more suatinable development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations