HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
From the rendering...it appears to me it is NOT occupying the Sears space, but rather is a 'new build/add on' to the back of the mall.

So as stated by someone earlier, looks more like it is taking some of the space from existing food court and then adding new square footage.
Just the food court. There's no new build.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:40 PM

My how the corner of Idylwyld and 20th look with a parking lot.

The roof is like a popcorn finish just like how everyone in the 90’s did it loool. Yuck. Forget the tax break these guys need to be increased on taxes for such an apauling design.

I love how they used a Toronto based architect for this?? Thanks for going local.. Apparently MMC has done work with Yorkdale mall... looks like a drop out intern hired through nepotism designed this lol

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
My how the corner of Idylwyld and 20th look with a parking lot.

The roof is like a popcorn finish just like how everyone in the 90’s did it loool. Yuck. Forget the tax break these guys need to be increased on taxes for such an apauling design.

I love how they used a Toronto based architect for this?? Thanks for going local.. Apparently MMC has done work with Yorkdale mall... looks like a drop out intern hired through nepotism designed this lol
Yes, there is parking, but that already exists. What it looks more like to me is a designated drop-off zone that isn't the "back door" like it was before. So it is an improvement in some ways. I agree, the parking on a busy corner like that isn't ideal, but future expansion or another development (office/residential) could always be proposed there as well.

As for the ceiling, I believe they are working with what they have, seeing as it is the existing building. I kinda like waffle slab, but I don't like the fireproofing that is exposed. But I doubt they would leave it exposed, today there are great paints and epoxys that can be used.

What I do like is that last image with the fireplace, I didn't know the second floor views from the mall would be that good of the river

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:06 PM

Cushman & Wakefield still have the old renderings for the mall, showing a massive tower on the current Toys R Us site. If you want to feel sad, you can check that out for a great reminder of "what if." I understand the economy is very mediocre and has been for a few years now, but come on. This renovation seems to be the absolute minimum to me. Disappointed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:06 PM

I didn't read any of the reasoning on this but property tax breaks for mall retail seems ludicrous.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:50 PM

The plan is for the first floor of the Sears space to be divided into roughly a dozen retail spaces. Napper said there have been no confirmed retailers to fill those spots.

...great an empty half of the mall...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
The plan is for the first floor of the Sears space to be divided into roughly a dozen retail spaces. Napper said there have been no confirmed retailers to fill those spots.

...great an empty half of the mall...
What is the timeframe for the renovations to this part of the mall? Is it 2020 like MEC?

Seems pretty unreasonable to expect these spaces to be filled this early if that is the case.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:58 PM

^ Yes, it would be unreasonable to expect that as the Sears space won't re-open for another 2 years.

Just because Napper says that there are no confirmed tenants doesn't mean they aren't actively in negotiations with multiple potential tenants and courting many others. They're not going to let on about what isn't a done deal yet. I'm sure other tenant announcements are forthcoming. You can't expect leasing to be wrapped up at this stage.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:41 PM

Midtown

Saw on Midtown's twitter that the new food court is set to open on July 25th, 2019.
Presumably that means that the Sears portion of the mall will be ready / mostly ready then? And then MEC would start construction in the old food court to open for 2020?
Either way, they're already making good process on removing the old facade! Even if it's not the ideal design for that corner, it's better than the current state of the 20th st quarter of the mall.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 10:03 PM

Looks like there could be a Crate & Barrel (or "Inter&Steel") potentially planned for the new section under the food court...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Our mall downtown is lacking affordable apparel brands like Simons, Zara, H&M, Bershka, Steve Madden, Top Shop at The Bay, a larger Lululemon, and many many other similar stores that have perfected the Brick & Mortar model. Many other cities have these 10,000 + sqf stores with less population than us. Most don’t want to set up here because of the lack of an appropriate space, don’t set up in suburbs which is all the free space we have, flight costs here, and not having anyone move to a city with bad climate.
I appreciate your enthusiasm for these retailers - they are some of my favourites, as well. I think that we will see one or two of these names announced in early 2019 as part of the new brands moving into Midtown. I've heard H&M, Forever 21 and Crate and Barrel are among the new retailers.

I wouldn't hold out hope for Simons. I would expect them to go to Winnipeg first. Unfortunately, I think the same will ring true for Zara, although I think we stand a better chance with them. They are in smaller markets like London and Halifax, whereas Simons is only in places like Sherbrooke as they are based in Quebec.

We're making positive progress. It's just that nothing happens quickly or easily in Saskatoon.

Quote:
Sorry if I seem stark, but Regina’s downtown mall is beating us immensely with smarter management (free parking after 5pm if I’m correct, and overal better stores).
Overall better stores? Does H&M make that much of a difference? Last time I checked, Midtown had all the same stores other than H&M and Lulu (which is less than a 1/2 block away from the mall), plus stores like Victoria's Secret, Michael Kors, Guess, Town Shoes, Aritzia and Lush that Regina doesn't.

https://www.cornwallcentre.ca/stores

For what it's worth, I like the renovations at Midtown. Certainly better than the 1993 vibe they had going on since .... 1993. Check out the MMC website - it's quite similar to the renovations they have designed for malls across the country. To me, it reminds me of the Core in Calgary.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 2:58 PM

I am not sure about H & M anymore...they usually take multiple floors of retail space and with the Food Court being relocated to Sears 2nd level, that eliminates that option for H&M. I don't see any other multiple story options in the mall for them.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
I am not sure about H & M anymore...they usually take multiple floors of retail space and with the Food Court being relocated to Sears 2nd level, that eliminates that option for H&M. I don't see any other multiple story options in the mall for them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't sears have an underground level? If so, what's the plan for that space?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:11 PM

Take a look at the floor plans released a few months ago. The food court only takes up a portion of the 2nd floor. On the east half of the Sears space towards 1st Ave there are at least 3 larger spaces that have the potential for two floor tenancy. To me, one of the spaces fronting 1st Ave with windows and its own entrance has H&M written all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Browsing an agenda for an upcoming city committee, and there is a report regarding tax incentives for Midtown's redevelopment of the Sears space. The report describes the planned changes:

It also includes some floor plans and renderings (not great quality):

I'm seeing what looks to be the food court moved to the 2nd floor as rumoured. Also some pretty significant changes to the exterior and lots of glazing added.

https://apps2.saskatoon.ca/tpapp/eam...ang=English#39

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
If you look at the original plan that was released, the food court will only take up roughly a quarter of the upstairs Sears space. Just the corner facing Idylwyld / 20th. The 1st Ave / 20th corner will be free for storefronts. It actually looks like one of the shops facing 1st ave might have an escalator in the preliminary plans? Fingers crossed for H&M. They have great options for fashionable, affordable mens' clothing, which we are lacking!

Here's the link : https://www.ckom.com/2018/06/13/midt...-space-revamp/

EDIT: Great minds think alike, Echoes (See above for a better version of what I was trying to say... ^)

Last edited by skeet1991; Nov 22, 2018 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:52 PM

As the rest of the mall goes through renovations. I would hope, but it probably won't happen, that Hudson's Bay would revamp it's interiors or at least its layout and display of items. It is the last major tenant anchor in the mall. As a kid, I remember the old location and it felt more suited to the old store feel of the brand, the heritage of it if you must say. And you don't get that from the current location. It's stale and stagnant and feels as inviting as the old Sears. When they changed their name from "The Bay" back to "Hudson's Bay", they are obviously going back to their roots. I guess the question is which direction would they take the rebranding of the physical stores?

Last edited by WoodlandCritter; Nov 22, 2018 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:16 PM

Thanks for the clarification on Food Court space and options for 1st Ave Store front businesses. I agree....it now does look perfect for H&M.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
As the rest of the mall goes through renovations. I would hope, but it probably won't happen, that Hudson's Bay would revamp it's interiors or at least its layout and display of items. It is the last major tenant anchor in the mall. As a kid, I remember the old location and it felt more suited to the old store feel of the brand, the heritage of it if you must say. And you don't get that from the current location. It's stale and stagnant and feels as inviting as the old Sears. When they changed their name from "The Bay" back to "Hudson's Bay", they are obviously going back to their roots. I guess the question is which direction would they take the rebranding of the physical stores?
I’m not being negative I’m pointing out an epidemic - our Bay is the ugliest and least funded in the country. Every other Bay is now broken out into sub stores - their best selling men’s brand is Top Man - all we have for Top Man is two racks.. how do they get away with this. Like who is running that place! No wonder they’ve accumulated half a billion in net loss’s the last two years. Who is financing this circus

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
I’m not being negative I’m pointing out an epidemic - our Bay is the ugliest and least funded in the country. Every other Bay is now broken out into sub stores - their best selling men’s brand is Top Man - all we have for Top Man is two racks.. how do they get away with this. Like who is running that place! No wonder they’ve accumulated half a billion in net loss’s the last two years. Who is financing this circus
From my observation travelling across the country and seeing many of the stores, the urban downtown/heritage building Bay stores are amazing, well kept and display items great.

It is the suburban mall Bay stores that feel dingy, outdated and lifeless.

Sadly our downtown Bay feels like a suburb Bay store in a Mall. That's why the saskatoon location should revamp and build up its location to become like one the great downtown locations. Especially since the midtown is striving to become a destination mall.

IMHO I think they should scale back, have select brick and mortar locations in downtown locations only, and focus the rest as online sales, which they are pretty good at right now. Would hate to see them go the way of Eaton's

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
From my observation travelling across the country and seeing many of the stores, the urban downtown/heritage building Bay stores are amazing, well kept and display items great.

It is the suburban mall Bay stores that feel dingy, outdated and lifeless.

Sadly our downtown Bay feels like a suburb Bay store in a Mall. That's why the saskatoon location should revamp and build up its location to become like one the great downtown locations. Especially since the midtown is striving to become a destination mall.

IMHO I think they should scale back, have select brick and mortar locations in downtown locations only, and focus the rest as online sales, which they are pretty good at right now. Would hate to see them go the way of Eaton's
Regina's Bay is the same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan