HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 5:50 AM
Houston:Considered Good

I'm not talking about the jury's verdict, I'm talking about how the judge interprets it.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
We must be having a semantic difference here; I can think of plenty of examples of towers in neighborhoods comprised mostly of detached houses inside the loop. You must have a different definition of being "in" such a neighborhood.
I guess we do. I just don’t think that a majority of the single-family neighborhoods in the inner loop have high-rises right in the middle of them. The Huntington is one and I hear that a lot of people in River Oaks still complain about it. I personally don’t think the Huntington has made River Oaks more dynamic or a better place to live.

Quote:
I agree! The location is not ideal. But the issue isn't whether the thing gets built where it is proposed or at an ideal location - it's whether it gets built where it's planned or doesn't get built at all.

But also, I don't think we should only build tall buildings in neighborhoods that already have tall buildings. If we had always followed that policy, we wouldn't have any tall buildings at all.
If the only two options are that this tower gets built or not, then I personally don’t want it to get built. Maybe if it were a few blocks farther away from South Boulevard, I would support it. But in its current location, it will never connect to any other urban developments unless you start ripping down all the other houses around it.

I agree that we can’t always just build in neighborhoods that already have tall buildings. However, with thousands of lots still available, I don’t really see the point in building this now in this location. We don’t need to start ripping down all the historic single-family neighborhoods in the inner-loop right now when there are still thousands of appropriate lots in Downtown, Midtown, and the Museum District. Maybe that will be an issue in 100 years.

Quote:
I'm not a developer, but it seems to me that if I were one, I would look at the Ashby situation and take it as a sign of the power of NIMBYs wherever they might be encountered. I would consider it a possible cost of doing business, and this would raise the bar on what I would consider a profitable project. This would have a dampening effect on future high-density development in general.
It could be considered a possible cost of doing business if another developer tries to build in the middle of a single-family neighborhood, but shouldn’t have any effect on any other projects in the currently established urban areas. Look at all the other developments going on around town. This certainly hasn’t made those developers think twice about building in Houston. If residents tried to stop a project like this in Downtown or Midtown, I highly doubt they would even make it to court no matter how much money they had.

Quote:
I just don't see this. The neighborhood is protected; they're not gonna raze these people's mansions. All this building will do is make the neighborhood more dynamic; as I indicated above, I really don't see why this building - an attractive one! - is better for the neighborhood than an empty lot. I just really can't see that.
I just don’t see how a high-rise in the middle of this neighborhood makes it more dynamic. Maybe if they transformed the entire neighborhood by ripping down all the houses around it and made the whole area more urban, but not as it currently is. Condos or a 5-story mid-rise would fit this location much better in my opinion.

Quote:
You must be willfully misreading me here. I have nothing against wealthy people. I was specifically criticizing these wealthy people who are opposing this project - and of course not everyone in the neighborhood is opposed to it, either.

What peeves me is that these folks have the social and financial capital to win this sort of fight, which folks in poorer neighborhoods rarely do. It's unjust. And again, it is rather frustrating that these particular people have gone to the mat over this development; what if their energies had gone into something that actually benefits the city, or the world, rather than this extremely parochial battle to protect their (trivial) self-interest?
Quote:
how it is driven by wealthy homeowners who are some of the most privileged people in the world, frankly (and of all the causes of justice in the world they might fight for, this is the hill they choose to die on!)
I don’t think I misread what you said. You are angry that these people are fighting for their own self-interests and not for some other “cause of justice.” How do you know they aren’t fighting for other good causes? I’m pretty confident that there are people who oppose this project that also participate in many activities and give contributions to projects that improve their communities and the city of Houston. But when they fight for a cause that benefits themselves, they get villainized? It just doesn’t seem fair to me.

Like I said earlier, if an entire poor community was against a project in their neighborhood, it would likely go to court as well. A Civil Rights attorney would make sure of that. And again, why is it so wrong for them to fight for a cause that benefits their own self-interest? And how do you know they aren’t spending their energies on other projects that benefit the city?

Quote:
How many homeowners have a real stake in whether this project gets built? A few dozen? But compare that to the hundreds of potential residents of Ashby. Their voices aren't being heard because they're dispersed and for the most part don't even know themselves who they are. Why would it be "responsible" for the developer to ignore their interests, just to mollify a few neighbors?

This isn't an incidental point. It's the very core of the problem of nimbyism: those who have incumbent interests have the ability to have their voices heard, and thus can use the political process to maintain the status quo and prevent others from sharing in their privileges - in this case, the ability to enjoy living in a nice neighborhood with a historic character.
I believe that the utility that would be lost from the residents already living here is greater than the utility that would be gained from the potential new residents coming in. The potential residents have other options for luxury high-rise residentials, so they aren’t directly affected by whether this gets built or not. It isn’t a game-changer for them. It obviously does affect the people living here right now; otherwise they wouldn’t be so opposed to this project. I guess we’ll just have to disagree.

Last edited by ktp7; Apr 21, 2014 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
The Ashby proposal is STUPID. The argument that a dangerous precedent will be set is even more laughable. Seriously, pay attention. Since this verdict, how many other projects have gotten off the ground? HUNDREDS.

The tired old argument of "poor developers" is silly. Developers RUN THIS CITY. They always have. If you need evidence, just look at the city attorney and his dumb-assed argument to overturn a JURY's verdict. Wanna guess who's paying for that advice? Hint; it isn't the "big, bad, wealthy neighbors."
I agree!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktp7 View Post
On a different note. Is anyone else watching the Rockets on TV? The shots of Downtown with all the lights on looks amazing! I wish the lights were turned on more often.
Houston does look pretty good. I just wish my Cavaliers made the Playoffs

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 12:16 PM

Large Update.

609 Main: 4/19 by HoustonMidtown

Texaco Building Reno: 4/19 By HoustonMidtown

2929 Weslayan: 4/20 by larrydierker

Brazos Towers at Bayou Manor: 4/20 by larrydierker

Astoria: 4/19 by Skylineview

BHP Billiton: 4/19 by Skylineview - this project will have 3 cranes.

Alexan Midtown: 4/20 by Tumbleweed_TX

Post Galleria: 4/17 by fastesdisatr

Hughes Landing: 4/16 by ahkelly

Last edited by Urbannizer; Apr 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 12:46 PM

Skyline North & Skyline South: New 10 & 8-story multifamily buildings with 3 to 4 levels of parking by Alliance Residential, near downtown.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...near-downtown/

Pearl on Washington: New 8-story mixed-use apartment building by The Morgan Group at the NEC of TC Jester and Washington.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ment-building/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 2:10 PM

The boom in new hospital construction. Some say the worries over Obamacare have abated.

Houston-area health care construction takes off

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Ktp7, legally this can be very bad for Houston, because it creates the precedence that a building can be prevented because the neighbors don't want it.
I see - zoning without actual zoning. Having your cake and eating it, too. That's what I love about the laissez-faire NIMBYism in this town. Cancel the highrise and give them a halfway house for sex offenders.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Hughes Landing: 4/16 by ahkelly

The three cranes can be seen from IH45 and are for 3 and 4, where Exxon Mobil is going.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Apr 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 8:38 PM

Unlike Block 98, the Marquette's pool will be on the rooftop.

New apartment high-rise on tap for downtown

"...as well as two floors of amenities including a resort-style, rooftop pool...."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
Unlike Block 98, the Marquette's pool will be on the rooftop.

New apartment high-rise on tap for downtown

"...as well as two floors of amenities including a resort-style, rooftop pool...."
This is good news. I really like this building and it will be great for Downtown Houston.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I have to wonder if even a cleaning would help much. It's just a terrible color. That's just my opinion, of course. Other people seem fine with it. My kind of building is the tall, turquoise glass building (second tallest?). Very classy looking.
I believe the second Tallest is Wells Fargo Plaza, and I like that one too. My favorite is the Bank of America Building. It's the red, pointy one. It's one of my favorite buildings in the entire country.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 11:18 PM

New renderings of the high-rise for downtown by Hines. Now named Residences at Market Square.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 12:12 AM
Meh

That's beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 1:28 AM

I especially like the base.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 2:58 AM

The reduction in height of 1 Market Square probably means it will be less visible behind the Market Square Tower and the Residence at Market Square. The square itself is going to be surrounded by highrises. I hope they bring in some good retail at ground level. The new residents in those apartments will be able to take advantage of it.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 3:06 AM

Very nice. The tower looks a little thinner in this rendering than the previous one to me. But it still looks great.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 4:03 AM

oh lordy, can it be 2017 yet

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 4:17 AM

The building looks great and definitely complements the area well. I love its interaction at ground level and the retail will be an added plus for the park users. I noticed on haif that the tower decreased a little in height. Does that mean there will be fewer units?

Downtown will definitely seem like a completely different place in a couple of years. It looks like all the residential projects are starting to take steps forward.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 12:26 PM

-

Last edited by timoric; Jul 12, 2019 at 10:15 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations