HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 2:40 PM

Thank you for posting these photos.

WMATA is hosting its "Fleet of the Future" event on the Mall from March 20 through April 3. I took these photos earlier this week of the new 8000-series train cars. They will have seating that goes the length of the train to allow for more passengers to stand and avoiding the crowding by the doors, space for bikes/scooters and luggage, space for wheelchairs, and open passageways between cars.

I am glad the nasty carpet is gone from the train cars.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 3:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Overall looks nice but I am admittedly a bit disappointed they have dumbed down the sexy bonnet with clunkier looking light clusters and hardware store grab bars. The same thing happened in NY with the R-211 production car looking substantially less "future" than the exciting prototypes depicted. This 8000 series car on display looks to be the actual production design instead of the cleaner and edgier Hitachi renderings released a couple years back. It's frustrating that vision never seems to make it to reality in this country with transit rolling stock like it seems to be able to oversees. Great industrial design has a habit of being undervalued and undelivered this side of the Atlantic. That said I do think the new BART cars look great.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 6:32 PM
TL;DR

Not sure what you mean, there are several iterations floating around on the internet but the mockup on display right now looks pretty good! LED strip headlamps instead of the traditional round clusters on the 7000, chamfered corners that give the front bonnet a sort of octagon look, etc.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...&high_res=true

Unfortunately I don't love the interiors. Hard plastic seats might be fine for a more urban subway system where many trips are <30 minutes long, but these will be super uncomfortable for suburban commuters taking the long ride from Dulles, Shady Grove, etc. Those longer trips really demand some softer seats like the original Metro stock had, or like you would see on MARC/VRE.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 7:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

The differences are virtually unnoticeable for probably 99% of people but they are there.

Compare the Hitachi promotional rendering:

___

To the mock-up production car:

___

Just less good in my humble designer opinion.

Top, Mercedes S-Class

Bottom, Chevy Cobalt

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Unfortunately I don't love the interiors. Hard plastic seats might be fine for a more urban subway system where many trips are <30 minutes long, but these will be super uncomfortable for suburban commuters taking the long ride from Dulles, Shady Grove, etc. Those longer trips really demand some softer seats like the original Metro stock had, or like you would see on MARC/VRE.
The seats from the model aren't the real deal, they had a couple seats on display outside the model that are supposed to be accurate to the actual car. They are upholstered if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 9:49 PM

This is great news for passenger rail in DC and the broader mid-Atlantic. The article below is paywalled.

Amtrak wins ruling in Union Station eminent domain lawsuit

By Daniel J. Sernovitz
Washington Business Journal
Apr 22, 2024

"A federal judge has ruled Amtrak acted within its legal authority when it moved two years ago to take the commercial leasehold interest at D.C.'s Union Station by eminent domain.

U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta, in an opinion issued Wednesday, determined the national rail operator "met its burden of proof to exercise its 'quick take' authority" after negotiations to acquire the lease from an affiliate of New York's Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp. broke down..."

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...nt-domain.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation