HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 11:27 AM

Last edited by TGK; Mar 10, 2024 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Did not include quoted message…

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Interesting to build a hotel right next to another hotel. Especially during a hosing shortage.
Not really. Hotels usually locate near each other. Besides, both hotels are owned by the same local developer. As for the housing crisis, that’s not a reason for us to stop building hotels to support the tourism industry…maybe if this was being built by taxpayers, but it’s not, so let’s not even go there.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I like it!

Will it be priced such that students will be able to afford the apartments? The location is ideal.
I just saw the public meeting on this and the idea is to have both residents and students. The back section facing Queen St will have three bedroom units with families in mind and the front section one bedroom with students in mind.

There were no detractors against this project and no letters that were sent out were answered. The city and the Gray group are anxious to proceed and the demo has already started.

One thing, it was considered that it might possibly go to 10 floors. However in order to keep the parking ratio at a necessary level they went with eight.
All good to go, may start in June.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
I just saw the public meeting on this and the idea is to have both residents and students. The back section facing Queen St will have three bedroom units with families in mind and the front section one bedroom with students in mind.

There were no detractors against this project and no letters that were sent out were answered. The city and the Gray group are anxious to proceed and the demo has already started.

One thing, it was considered that it might possibly go to 10 floors. However in order to keep the parking ratio at a necessary level they went with eight.

It's a great looking project, but I am worried about traffic on University Ave. I'd like to see the city construct a median from Brown's Court to Belvedere to prevent left-hand turns. I also think the idea of a pedway or tunnel needs to be revisited.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:32 PM

Charlottetown mall's 'dark and outdated' food court getting a facelift

Quote:
"Tucked in the back of Royalty Crossing mall in Charlottetown, the food court is showing its age. Now it's getting a renovation. It's shutting down for a few weeks, then reopening with a new look. The mall's property manager tells us about the upgrades".
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2318495299602

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post

One long time business the pretzel maker is leaving the mall. The increase in rent when renovations is done, was part of their decision.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
It's a great looking project, but I am worried about traffic on University Ave. I'd like to see the city construct a median from Brown's Court to Belvedere to prevent left-hand turns. I also think the idea of a pedway or tunnel needs to be revisited.
No left turns coming out of the parking lot will be allowed. It will be only an IN and circles in front of the main doors and exits onto University with a right turn only. As for turning left into the building, they will be shortening the left hand turn lane on University to Belvedere and repainting a longer left turn lane that is already there going into the Browns Ct townhouses and apartments.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post

A lot of changes taking place in the mall. Folk Fries is quite popular and the food court upgrades will be a nice addition. Sorry to hear about the Prezel place leaving. Wish them well, just don't go downtown, it's dead!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 8:58 PM

Confederation Centre gets $47M to renovate former library space

By Victoria Walton, CBC News  
Posted: Mar 13, 2024 3:21 PM ADT

"The money will be earmarked for green renovations, like upgrading heating and air conditioning, replacing windows and adding solar panels. All this should reduce the old library's energy consumption by 50 per cent, and greenhouse gas emissions by more than 1,000 tonnes each year, according to Bellamy.
Inside, the space will become three things: an arts academy, an arts innovation hub, and a cultural learning space for discussion around reconciliation and the country's growth.
The accessibility of the building will also change, with a street-level entrance being added on Victoria Row."

MORE HERE > https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...ment-1.7142644

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 7:18 PM

Folk fries stays open for 3 months while all the other closed that's a little greasy

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 9:28 PM

Quote:
The Stratford Sperra development is moving on

UPDATED PHOTO

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan23 View Post
Folk fries stays open for 3 months while all the other closed that's a little greasy
My mother in-law is the owner of one of the three stores, T's Jamaican Flavours.

We were given the choice to remain open with a small walkable space to get to our store front but decided to close instead. I believe Big Burger and Bliss had that option too but as well decided to close.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 10:23 PM

Quote:
No left turns coming out of the parking lot will be allowed. It will be only an IN and circles in front of the main doors and exits onto University with a right turn only. As for turning left into the building, they will be shortening the left hand turn lane on University to Belvedere and repainting a longer left turn lane that is already there going into the Browns Ct townhouses and apartments.

They can say no left onto University Ave, but you know people will do it. Imagine wanting to get to the mall, do you think people are going to turn right then turn around at PetroCan, or take the long way around (North River or Mount Edward)?

Either way, I support the project and hope it goes ahead. I just think traffic will be an issue...the city is planning a median between Belvedere and Nassa, I'd like to see it go to Brown's Court to force right-in and right-out only. Maybe down the road part of Brown's Court could be redeveloped to create some sort of connection.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan23 View Post
The operators were asked if they wanted to close to get the work done all at once, or spread the project out doing renovations over a long period while operating...they chose to close. Shortterm pain for longterm gain.

Why would Folk Fries close, in solidarity?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 10:08 PM

503 University Ave, formerly Maritime Christian College

UPDATE

Demolition has begun with half of it gone already.

Last edited by Siriusb; Mar 20, 2024 at 11:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:

As I mentioned, looks like the 10 storey option is still open. See highlighted section.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:07 AM

St Martha's Court

There is another apartment beside this one to the west that has been approved.

Night shot!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Hidden Valley Subdivision - Phase 3

From the City web site Council Meeting.

Request An application has been received to proceed to public consultation to rezone Phase 3 of the Hidden Valley Subdivision located off Malpeque Road in the neighbourhood of Winsloe.

APPROVED

A new subdivision promising 600 housing units is on the way for Charlottetown. City council recently approved a proposal to rezone Phase 3 of the Hidden Valley subdivision to allow for apartment buildings.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Approved by city council. Subject to a traffic study which will not impede this. 91 units helps the housing shortage
Do you have a link?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 9:26 PM

PORTHOUSE APPROVED...??

After three years in development, the Port House project in Charlottetown has final approval from city council.

The eight-storey, 158-unit apartment building first came to the city as a six-storey structure in 2021. It was approved by the city, but a challenge at the Islander Regulatory and Appeals Commission (IRAC) held the project up.

Now, city council has voted 9-0 to greenlight what will be one of P.E.I.’s tallest buildings. It would be built in what is currently a parking lot behind the Polyclinic on the corner of Prince and Grafton streets.

Full article: https://www.saltwire.com/prince-edwa...own-100952158/

Last edited by CryingAutumn; Mar 28, 2024 at 11:16 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces