HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Former Howe's Lake dump....hugely contaminated by all accounts.

https://www.country94.ca/2010/07/10/...r-development/

Remember, it was the city dump way back in the 1950's and 60's when anything and everything just got chucked in the garbage.
Indeed, it is the former Howes Lake dump, which is why it makes way more sense as a natural area than some of the other parcels in the area, and still monitored regularly at a number of monitoring wells around the perimeter.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 3:54 PM

Sounds like we might be getting a more finalized design and a timeline for construction; one of the founding principals of Diamond Schmitt won't just show up for nothing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:40 PM

Exciting! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I really hope they get it right.

I’m still a little disappointed it’s not going to be a landmark type new building on the waterfront but I do hope the Douglas Ave overhaul/addition is something special.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 11:28 PM

[IMG]

Last edited by cdnguys; Mar 24, 2024 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:29 PM

Renderings Revealed For The NB Museum

Source of images: https://revitalizenbm.com

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:34 PM

Look phenomenal, especially the view from the river looking toward it!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very impressive. A signature development for Sanit John for sure!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:35 PM

Federal and Provincial Governments funding a total of $108-million for the project. ($58 million from Provincial Government, $49.9 million from Federal Government). Projected opening is sometime in 2026.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have taken the liberty of posting these renders in the Canada section (in quotations, preserving the attribution to DyAm00394).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:17 PM

The rear view looking up from the river is very impressive. The front, perhaps less so to my eye. I suspect it's very tough to come up with anything to attach to the original neoclassical building that looks really good. They certainly could have done much worse.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:23 PM

I think it looks great!
Would have preferred it at the old sugar refinery that's just an empty lot. However, very excited to see crews break ground on this. I imagine it would be starting this spring if the opening date is for 2026?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:25 PM

Also is there not a bunch of houses in the path of the renderings? Judging by the size of it, it would need to replace a few houses to the left of the museum.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Also is there not a bunch of houses in the path of the renderings? Judging by the size of it, it would need to replace a few houses to the left of the museum.
The province bought 4-5 properties to the east of the current museum (to the right if you're looking straight at the museum from Douglas Ave), they will be removing a few houses and parts of the past museum's 70s-era additions to make room for the new facility and parking. They couldn't expand to the west/left side because of the existing park, and the area behind the museum is very steep and contains protected archeological sites that cannot be built on.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
If facing it from Douglas Ave, to the left is Riverview Park. To right 4 properties have been expropriated and will be torn down

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 3:44 PM

Some additional info from Diamond Schmitt Architects website: https://dsai.ca/projects/new-brunswick-museum/

Quote:
"The revitalized New Brunswick Museum (NBM), will provide a new contemporary home for Canada’s oldest continuing museum. Leveraging the historical site’s extraordinary topography in Saint John, the design captures views of both the urban center and Harbour of Saint John, and the stunning natural landscape and river to the west. When completed, the museum’s research work and exhibitions will be brought together within one sustainable, decarbonized facility that fully supports the museum’s mission of preserving, researching, interpreting, and exhibiting the natural and cultural heritage of the Province of New Brunswick.

Diamond Schmitt’s design integrates the east wing of the museum’s historic Collections and Research Centre on Douglas Avenue in Saint John, built in 1934 beside Riverview Memorial Park, and significantly expands the museum’s footprint with five new wings to the north. The new museum totals 134,000 square feet.

A new, accessible main entrance on street level greets visitors in a multi-story, public great room which serves as a crossroads for the museum. It connects the east entrance to an outdoor terrace to the west, and leads to a north-south galleria connected to education spaces. To the south, the façade of the historic wing will front a library and archival reading room and a 115-seat auditorium.

The second floor will feature 30,000 square feet of exhibition space spanning the length of the building, including six permanent galleries and a temporary gallery space designed to accommodate visiting and special exhibitions with continuous circulation throughout. Open gathering spaces crisscross the atrium from above, adding light and openness to the galleries. This level will also include floor-to-ceiling bay windows overlooking the water that allow gallery visitors to connect with the landscape and cityscape. A new rooftop terrace will leverage the museum’s location and offer unparalleled panoramic views".
Also an additional image of the site plan:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:47 PM

I appreciate that they rendered the fog into that last aerial view

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:53 PM

I think what I'm most impressed with is the speed. 2 years to build this seems pretty impressive. Maybe they can give Fundy Quay some lessons.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I think what I'm most impressed with is the speed. 2 years to build this seems pretty impressive. Maybe they can give Fundy Quay some lessons.
Diamond Schmitt + EllisDon have delivered on more than their fair share of large projects, this is a normal Tuesday for big firms like these.

It is impressive though given that the museum hasn’t even finished moving the collection out of Douglas Avenue yet.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 10:23 AM

Current status Burlington Flats

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
I wonder if we'll see any new projects break ground on the top of technology drive now that the Vistas looks nearly completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces