HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:27 PM

I am moving to Seattle soon, and I thought that Olympia is not quite a "neutral" site in the state of Washington. I thought that a better location for the state capital might be Yakima or Kennewick, though I doubt the move will ever happen.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Which states are at least considering it? It's a possibility in FL (which is more than we can say for the typical state/province, where it's simply not happening.)

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/08/0...state-capital/

I'd assume, at least AK too?
Florida is the only state where it would make any sense. It will still never happen because it would just be too expensive to do so. Any rational human if they decided where to put a capital today in Florida would put it in Orlando, maybe Gainesville if they wanted to follow the flagship university example like Texas or Wisconsin. Tallahasee is not even within a normal days driving distance from major population centers in the state (i.e. South Florida). Just to put into perspective: Chicago to Springfield is a ~200 mile drive. Miami to Tallahassee is a ~500 mile drive. LA to Sacramento is 384 mile drive.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Florida waited too long. It's a state of something like 20 million now. They should have done it in the 70's or 80's at the latest when they knew the population was on its upward trajectory but now with such a massive state bureaucracy, it would cost the state untold billions and no voter would ever approve such a move.

Plus, I would have to revisit the state capitol.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:56 PM

Delaware has an interesting setup because the capital—Dover—basically shares typical capital offices with Wilmington. It made sense for Dover to be the capital way back when because it’s in the middle of the state, but the norther third of the state industrialized and boomed far earlier. Now, the the governor, attorney general, 3/5 supreme court justices, and many other state employees are based in Wilmington, while the legislature continues to meet in Dover (as does the Supreme Court for oral arguments only).

They’ll never move it because Dover is only about an hour’s drive from the furthest parts of the tiny state, but having the executive offices outside the capital seems unusual (maybe it’s not).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:30 PM

Texas had the Archives War during the Republic of Texas years in determining where the young nation's capital should be. The capital moved various times and places, but the main arguments were either a new planned city, Austin, or the General and First President of the Republic of Texas' namesake, Houston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Archive_War

https://medium.com/@txglo/the-other-...d-fd286e775f68

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:43 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Even county realignments don't happen. Nevada, for example, has counties that don't make sense today.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:31 AM

Washington, Canberra, Ottawa, and Wellington are not the primary cities of the country but rather were created as compromises as different cities vied for the capitol of their new countries. Kingston was Canada's first choice but is right on the St. Lawrence and hence the border and with the War of 1812 still in everyone's mind, Ottawa {originally called Bytown} was chosen as is 100km inland on the Ottawa River and also borders the 2 largest provinces, Ontario & Quebec.

Australian capitols dominate all their respective states in terms of population but not so Canada. Montreal, Vancouver, Saskatoon, Calgary, and Moncton are all the biggest cities in their provinces but are not capitols whereas in Australia, all the biggest cities in their states are capitols.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:41 AM

As far as "moving" capitol cities, I don't see it ever happening due to, if nothing else, the huge expense and massive displacement it would cause on the current capitol. I think in the US/Can/Aus, the only potential new capitol city would be due to a division of the state or province itself. Such obvious examples are California between North & South and BC between the Island & the Mainland. Another way would be if some of our biggest cities especially NYC, Chicago, LA, and Toronto decide to leave a jurisdiction to become more like city-states.

In Ontario's case, if Toronto was to leave Ontario, the province would basically be divided into 3 new ones...…...South West, Eastern, and North. London and Kingston would be the obvious choice for the first 2 but in the North, there would be more of a fight between Thunder Bay & Sudbury. NY/Ill/ Cal, would not have this problem as none of their biggest cities are capitol cities now.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:46 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Florida’s capital moving to Orlando would instantly turn it into a moderate blue state. It would still have its more conservative northern areas, but with the closer influence of Miami and Tampa, things would be a bit different. But who knows.

Just found an article contemplating the idea.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:02 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Florida’s capital moving to Orlando would instantly turn it into a moderate blue state.
Huh? Why would that change the vote totals?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:26 AM

I was going to ask the same question. It's not like FL legislators are mostly products of Tallahassee, they're coming from all over the state already, answer to home-regions constituents whose views and priorities wouldn't change one iota if the capital moved, and wouldn't be behaving differently if we moved the legislature where they sit.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:32 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
I was going to ask the same question. It's not like FL legislators are mostly products of Tallahassee, they're coming from all over the state already, answer to home-regions constituents whose views and priorities wouldn't change one iota if the capital moved, and wouldn't be behaving differently if we moved the legislature where they sit.
What might change is the average political makeup of non-elected positions ("the deep state").

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad9 View Post
Delaware has an interesting setup because the capital—Dover—basically shares typical capital offices with Wilmington. It made sense for Dover to be the capital way back when because it’s in the middle of the state, but the norther third of the state industrialized and boomed far earlier. Now, the the governor, attorney general, 3/5 supreme court justices, and many other state employees are based in Wilmington, while the legislature continues to meet in Dover (as does the Supreme Court for oral arguments only).

They’ll never move it because Dover is only about an hour’s drive from the furthest parts of the tiny state, but having the executive offices outside the capital seems unusual (maybe it’s not).
Quebec also shares some functions between the provincial capital Quebec City (metro 800,000) and biggest city Montreal (metro 4 million).

While a clear majority of government ministries are based in Quebec City, as is the legislature, a not-insignificant number of its agencies are headquartered in Montreal. Especially if they economically or financially oriented.

The Premier of Quebec (like a state governor) has offices in both Quebec City and Montreal, and depending on who holds the office he/she may spend more time in the big city than in the capital.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
yeah.

as a counter-example, Illinois' capital, Springfield, is deep in the deep red corn belt of the state, yet that doesn't stop Illinois from being the bluest state in the interior of the nation.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:22 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah.

as a counter-example, Illinois' capital, Springfield, is deep in the deep red corn belt of the state, yet that doesn't stop Illinois from being the bluest state in the interior of the nation.

But if the capital were Chicago, then downstate politicians may be more understanding of some urban issues (e.g. public transit) than they are now.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
But if the capital were Chicago, then downstate politicians may be more understanding of some urban issues (e.g. public transit) than they are now.
conversely, it might just breed even more resentment against chicagoland.

"chicago already runs the entire goddamn state, and now i have to go to that infernal hellhole of liberalism for every legislative session? fuck chicago!"

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
conversely, it might just breed even more resentment against chicagoland.

"chicago already runs the entire goddamn state, and now i have to go to that infernal hellhole of liberalism for every legislative session? fuck chicago!"
When it comes to the current state of the Illinois government, I think we can say that the blame can go to both parties and all parts of the State. But economically Chicago really does keep the state going so it's funny when people downstate talk about splitting off from Chicago and forming their own state as if they would be better off.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:48 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Huh? Why would that change the vote totals?
It would give people who live in the more populated and economically important areas of the state more of a voice to sway policy. It wouldn't be a dramatic change ( which is why I said moderately blue), but a difference would be felt. Tallahassee's proximity to the "deep South" does affect Florida heavily. It's essentially like living in two states, two totally different regions ( North Florida vs Central and South Florida).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:51 PM

Back in the 1800's state capitols used to move much more.

People today tend to freak out more over such things.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
It would give people who live in the more populated and economically important areas of the state more of a voice to sway policy. It wouldn't be a dramatic change ( which is why I said moderately blue), but a difference would be felt. Tallahassee's proximity to the "deep South" does affect Florida heavily. It's essentially like living in two states, two totally different regions ( North Florida vs Central and South Florida).
The counties around Tallahassee (Leon, Gadsden, Jefferson) are more reliably Blue than some regions around Fort Meyers, Tampa, Orlando in South and Central Florida (like Collier, Brevard, Polk) which are bigger and almost consistently Red.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions