HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
wow, what are the chances?

In a previous career, I once had an employee by the name of Ryan Outhouse. There was a problem with his paycheck, and I was on the phone with HR in Toronto trying to sort things out, with my employee sitting at the table across from me. "Outhouse. Yes, Outhouse...O-U-T-House..." (on the other end: "Oh my gawd, what a horrible last name, poor guy!!!"). The employee knew exactly what was happening; he'd been through similar indignities a zillion times in his life.
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 1:07 AM
Riki beach

Rimouski

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 10:40 PM

KW:

Kitchener Waterloo Skyline by Matt, on Flickr[/IMG]

K:
Kitchener Skyline 6 by Matt, on Flickr

W:
Waterloo Skyline 5 by Matt, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 7:46 PM
ハルウララ

Saint John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
From Lancaster Ave, today

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 2:05 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Loving that garage with the gambrel-shaped roof. Has a great urban barn vibe!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 10:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax

There has been some discussion of a tabletop effect forming. And it does look like that from some angles but from this angle you can see the viewplanes downtown that create gaps (meant to preserve certain views, not limit heights per se), and the taller buildings at higher elevation outside of downtown.

You can also see the cursed parking district on the left side. Not huge but there are 3-4 major sites that have all had delayed projects for one reason or another, as well as not so amazing 2000's development like that parking garage. That parking garage is under a viewplane so I could see it being difficult to justify redeveloping it.

Source

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 11:31 PM

Awesome pic of Halifax. Almost didn't recognize it. Lot's of new buildings.

What's that red building with no windows in the middle there?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 12:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
What's that red building with no windows in the middle there?
That is The Dillon on the corner of Sackville and Market (by Maxwell's Plum). It is odd. It is a decent development with a facaded old brick and stone building and then some apartments above. It has 2 walls in the middle of the block that can't have windows for fire code reasons and they decided to put some bright red cladding on it.

The old bunker-like building to the south of it was recently torn down and so something of similar height will likely be built there and part of the red will be covered up.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 11:17 PM

The other side of The Dillon ("Red building") : https://goo.gl/maps/WbQS8kyB2vYCtN8W9

The adjacent brown building that covers the rest of the block was demolished a few months ago.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That is The Dillon on the corner of Sackville and Market (by Maxwell's Plum). It is odd. It is a decent development with a facaded old brick and stone building and then some apartments above. It has 2 walls in the middle of the block that can't have windows for fire code reasons and they decided to put some bright red cladding on it.

The old bunker-like building to the south of it was recently torn down and so something of similar height will likely be built there and part of the red will be covered up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
The other side of The Dillon ("Red building") : https://goo.gl/maps/WbQS8kyB2vYCtN8W9

The adjacent brown building that covers the rest of the block was demolished a few months ago.
Thanks for the replies. Will be interesting to see what they will build bext door. Nice to see so many building cranes in that skyline pic.

Maxwells Plum has been there along time. At least 30 years or longer. It's been there since I was a kid.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 9:47 PM

a large mural on that red wall..similar to the one of Leonard Cohen in Montreal would be amazing!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 10:48 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

It seems a bit unusual, I can't think of anything quite like it anywhere else with that level of visibility. I suppose they could paint some windows in, you know, with curtains, flowers, and happy faces and things, but perhaps a giant mural of some other nearby landmark would do just as well (although if it's temporary that might eliminate it from view eventually). The waterfront actually looks very pleasant from that angle. The tabletop phenomenon can be partially alleviated by encouraging rooftop features, like spires, lighting features, and odd shapes.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 10:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A few from the past couple of weeks in St. John's.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 3:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Recent drone photo of Moncton by Infinity Aerials

Within 5-6 years, there should be 4 new downtown towers in the 15-20 storey range, and several others in the 10-12 storey range. The changes in Moncton right now are incredible. 25,000 new people were added to the provincial population in the last year. 44% of this growth is in greater Moncton. In five years time, Moncton could be 50,000 people larger!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 12:59 AM

^ I see so much potential along the river.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 5:08 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
That is The Dillon
Video Link

Seems to fit.

I see that Halifax hasn't been immune to the dreaded two-tone dark-above-light paint jobs on older residential towers. I really dislike that treatment... it's lazy and unimaginative.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 5:20 AM
Ham-burgher

These are really great. Thanks for sharing!

St. John's harbour appears to be quite constricted. I always thought of it as being a larger basin, but this image (and a distance measurement on a map) now tell me otherwise. I can only imagine how congested it was during WWII! (ships my grandfather served on spent time in port there, re-supplying and getting ready for convoy duty; Halifax too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 5:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
^ I see so much potential along the river.
Right along the river is mostly marshland, and is protected. I have no problem with this. There is bordering parkland and an extensive trail system. It's actually quite pleasant, and watching the ever changing river with the impressive tidal range and the bore is fascinating.

The new development is concentrated on formerly industrial lands between Main Street and the river. This has become an ocean of parking, but, this is rapidly changing. Ashford Group owns extensive lands sound of Main Street and is working with the city on a major development, including a revised street grid, underground utilities and a cluster of new buildings ranging from 10-20 storeys in height. Lafford Realty meanwhile has a project called the Three Sisters which will include three 15 storey apartment buildings. The first of these has just been topped off. They are about to start work on the fifth floor of the second building. In addition, Lafford just purchased some adjacent land south of Assumption Blvd (on the actual riverfront) with plans for a fourth tower, purportedly 20 storeys. I know of two other buildings 10-12 storeys in height in pre-development in the central part of the city, with an additional nine storey building as part of the Junction Urban Village (another multi building development at Main/Vaughan Harvey). People in city planning (sworn to secrecy) have hinted at other major projects in the works.

I am not exaggerating when I say downtown Moncton will be unrecognizable in 10 years time.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Right along the river is mostly marshland, and is protected. I have no problem with this. There is bordering parkland and an extensive trail system. It's actually quite pleasant, and watching the ever changing river with the impressive tidal range and the bore is fascinating.

The new development is concentrated on formerly industrial lands between Main Street and the river. This has become an ocean of parking, but, this is rapidly changing. Ashford Group owns extensive lands sound of Main Street and is working with the city on a major development, including a revised street grid, underground utilities and a cluster of new buildings ranging from 10-20 storeys in height. Lafford Realty meanwhile has a project called the Three Sisters which will include three 15 storey apartment buildings. The first of these has just been topped off. They are about to start work on the fifth floor of the second building. In addition, Lafford just purchased some adjacent land south of Assumption Blvd (on the actual riverfront) with plans for a fourth tower, purportedly 20 storeys. I know of two other buildings 10-12 storeys in height in pre-development in the central part of the city, with an additional nine storey building as part of the Junction Urban Village (another multi building development at Main/Vaughan Harvey). People in city planning (sworn to secrecy) have hinted at other major projects in the works.

I am not exaggerating when I say downtown Moncton will be unrecognizable in 10 years time.
Thank you! Quite honestly, I have no love for Moncton, but I'll admit that I haven't explored enough this area so, I'm very open to come back and have a good walk around downtown in a couple of years from now!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 7:14 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I took this photo of Victoria last August. Taken from Triangle Mountain in Colwood.

Victoria B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada