HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 5:46 AM

they just need to flat out redo the 29/229 interchange. merging can be dangerous at times.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 4:23 AM

They do plan on doing the I 29 I 229 interchange with flyovers.

Also here are a few other projects in the pipeline.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 4:53 AM

I think widening 10th Street to 6/7 Lanes is better than doing the one way thing just because the whole one way thing will get more traffic by the residential neighborhoods and then you would have to expand on the interstate too. They eventually are going to have to widen I-229 all the way from I-29 up to 10th Street, but I think the priority right now would be to stimulate growth on the northeast side so that we can more connect with Brandon and have a better infrastructure up there, and then widen I-29 from 26th Street all the way to Tea Exit (101st Street).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 7:54 PM

If i remember right that 10th street plan is actually 2 lanes in one direction and a single lane going in the other direction....and the opposite on 12th. Its an option that i think is worth considering. The problem with widening 10th street to so many lanes is one, you need a median which creates opposition from businesses and two...the land uses right now along 10th street have very shallow setbacks.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_144 View Post
They do plan on doing the I 29 I 229 interchange with flyovers.

Also here are a few other projects in the pipeline.

On a visit out to Sioux Falls this past summer, I came close to a bad accident at this interchange. I know cloverleafs like this are fairly ubiquitous but they are incredibly dangerous with those weave lanes. The new layout looks like a good solution.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 12:46 AM

I have two street projects that Sioux Falls should have started yesterday.

1. Minnesota should extended the quarter mile to I-90!
a. Easy access to the Airport (Much easier)
b. Easier access to downtown (maybe 4 stoplights on Minnesota)
c. Minnesota will extend all the way North and South

2. All the numbered streets on the NORTH side (29th through 69th and higher) need to be renamed
a. There is no reason to have so many duplicate streets in a city
b. This confuses A LOT of people (I drive in Sioux Falls for my job and now and then it still gets me)
c. Cost should not be an issue there are a ton of people who would pay to have a street named after them.

Why not?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 3:53 AM

@Emjay12

I like your first idea of extending Minnesota ave. I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet
But, though the "North" numbered streets can be confusing, changing them would be harder then you would think. You would have to literally re-address 1000's of addresses. That would cause massive headaches with the post office. It's a headache when you have a couple addresses that get changed. I work as a carrier, so I know this from personal experience.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 6:05 PM

Its crazy that they haven't extended Minnesota to I-90, its just a field there! Interchanges are expensive but this one would get used!

Would the street sign change be better if they renamed the streets while keeping the original signs up for 5 years but then place the new signs underneath the old. This would give people time to learn the new names. So for 5 years the streets will have 2 names, and then after the 5 years remove the old signs leaving the new and then the problem will be solved.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 7:39 PM

Not only by building an interchange at Minnesota and I-90, you would also be opening up brand new North Side land for development of Hotels and shopping and offices, which could stimulate residential development to the north of that kind of like what is going on right now in Lincoln, NE north of their airport.

The only problem with building an interstate exit there is that you have a body of water to the east (Catfish Bay?) and the railroad that goes under it, so most likely they would have to do a half clover leaf there on the west side of Minnesota (kind of like what they are building at I-90 and Marion Road, and what they have now at I-229 and Rice Street).

It will definitely help encourage more development on that side of SF because right now the main focus for development is south, west, and east. We need more on the north side so that when people drive through on I-90, they dont just see Industrial Avenue (a. k. a. Cliff). Im sure developers could persuade one or two hotels up there along with a strip mall or something. We just need more air service to.

You guys should go check out the airport right now. The terminal reconstruction is looking fantastic, much much better and very nice. Im excited! Someone should get pictures possibly?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 2:28 AM

East Side Movie Theater Opening In July
GNC, Maurices, Subway, Dressbarn Looking For Spots in Development

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_-MocODBuE

All of its in a video posted by Lloyd Companies.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 3:45 PM

Projected population of 250 U.S. metros

All kinds of interesting links here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/257.html

This journal predicts a 2025 metro population for Sioux Falls to be 312,835.

Comments?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 6:25 PM

Interesting, the city predicts 320,650 for the same time frame. I would say thats fairly close, all depending on how quickly this economy turns itself around.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 11:41 PM

I believe that, even though right now we might not think it can be possibly with the slowly improving economy. As long as population growth continues in more middle class areas like Harrisburg, Tea, and Brandon, we will see the number continue to rise. With all the things happening on the east side, expect to see new houses fill up open land east of Hwy 11 between Madison Street and 57th Street. And within the next couple of years we will also be seeing a grocery store on the northwest side, and probably a future major development like Dawley on the southside or at 101st Street and Cliff/Minnesota.

Im very surprised other major national housing companies haven't come into Sioux Falls yet, like Centex Homes (http://www.centexhomes.com/) to bring in the 150-250,000 dollar homes and townhouses. Townhouses are starting to become very popular on the southside, with major townhouse developments at 69th and Southeastern (just north of that) called Whisper Ridge, a three major named Townhouse developments called Tuscany Trail at 73rd and Cliff, and a block west of Tuscany is the Tomar Trail townhouses. There are also sold out townhomes north of Tuscany on Santa Rosa and 73rd. It will be exciting to see 69th and Cliff turn into a major intersection, along with 26th and Highway 11.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 3:34 PM

Cool Another Good Site

Here is another url that has some historical info about Sioux Falls:

http://www.greetingsfromsiouxfalls.com/

Much from this site is beyond my years, but I still find the info very interesting. I grew up in Sioux Falls, and many of the pics/posts on this site made me very nostalgic. As a kid, some of my memories are:

Happy Joes, and watching the pizza makers through the little window
Dennis the Menace Park and climbing around on the old military hardware
The original Lewis Southgate and the inexpensive tasty ice cream cones, Lewis always seemed like a maze to me as a kid. I think the toys were in the basement, and it always seemed a little dark and spooky down there...
The Western Mall when it was still a mall
The big water fountain in the Empire Mall
Groceries from the Red Owl Store on 41st
Falls Park before all the 'cool stuff' was fenced off
My years at Laura Wilder and Edison
Being terrified of any visit to the 3 story Central Plains Clinic behind OGorman
Carousel Skate <Still there!>
Daylight Donuts downtown <Still there, but not the same...>
Birthday pizza parties at Gigglebees/Piccadilly's/Granny's
Godfathers at 33rd and Minnesota with the 'arcade'
There was a little convenience store at 33rd and West Ave that we used to stop at while walking to Edison that had candy to get us through the day.

Ah, good times. As you can tell, many of my memories are from 'South Central' as I lovingly call it. This area is not anything like it used to be. I can remember having block parties where they closed the whole street down. No longer. When we lived in the area, 41st was only 4 lanes, no turn lane. Anyway, I consider myself a West-sider, even though my old hood is more central. The west of I-29 area was some far-off new house suburbia for rich folk back then (in my mind). My wife is from the East side, and although Sioux Falls is by no means a huge city, her fond memories are very different than mine. Even though we don't currently live in SF, we still debate the West Side/East Side thing. We do agree that Sioux Falls is our 'Home', our Favorite City and that we want to get back there to live as soon as possible. Any others care to share some fond Sioux Falls memories?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:07 AM

01/12/2010 - New Restaurant in Sioux Falls SD Coming Soon!

Sioux Falls, SD will be receiving an Erbert & Gerbert's. The new store is scheduled to open this spring. More information about this opening will be added in the upcoming months.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:54 PM

The funny line: Fargo, Minnesota. Yup, that's how they refer to Fargo in the list. Projected in 2050 to have 236,000...which in their case might be shooting a bit low considering the 2009 metro estimates have them just over 200K.

As for SF passing 312K in 2050...not out of the realm at all.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:52 PM

Its very possible, I feel the Sioux Falls metro is under represented currently...I see them adding a county or two in the next few years.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 9:53 PM

Burger King to Build Restaurant at 57th and Cliff

It has been two recessions since a new Burger King opened in Sioux Falls. That’s about to change.

Dakota King Inc. is going to build its first new Burger King outlet in the city in 15 years.

The restaurant will be at the southwest corner of 57th Street and Cliff Avenue. It will be the 11th Burger King in Sioux Falls.

A store at 26th Street and Sycamore Avenue presently is the newest Burger King in town. It opened in 1995, before national recessions that began in 2001 and 2007.

Dakota King has been interested for years in adding a restaurant at 57th and Cliff, says Tom Walsh Jr., president and co-owner.

The new outlet will be on a corner lot, in front of Sunshine Foods and east of Dacotah Bank.

“We think out there will be a great location. There’s a lot of families and rooftops, and it’s close to Harrisburg,” Walsh says.

The new outlet will reflect the franchise’s new, sleeker store design, Walsh says.

“We’re going to start building April 1, and it should be open by July 1,” he says. Beck & Hofer Construction Inc. is the contractor.

Dakota King has 31 Burger Kings in South Dakota, Minnesota and North Dakota.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_144 View Post
Its very possible, I feel the Sioux Falls metro is under represented currently...I see them adding a county or two in the next few years.
I'm not sure what county or counties they would add. At present Minnehaha and Lincoln Counties pretty much represent the metro by most definitions...those are two decent sized counties in land area. About the only other possibility I can see might be Lyon County, IA (Larchwood).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichert View Post
I'm not sure what county or counties they would add. At present Minnehaha and Lincoln Counties pretty much represent the metro by most definitions...those are two decent sized counties in land area. About the only other possibility I can see might be Lyon County, IA (Larchwood).
Lyon County would make sense, especially since the furthest east neighborhood on the southeast side is only 2-4 Miles away from the Iowa border. You can see Larchwood from Highway 11 and 57th Street near Harmodon Park and about 1 1/2 miles south of Dawley Farm Village.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest