HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 12:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
If I am reading that correctly it puts Galewood as "Low Income"on the same par as Austin and the West side.
True, the map does not differentiate between areas of true poverty and those of regular old below average income, but it does serve to show that the city of Chicago is light years away from being wholely "gentrified".

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 21, 2020 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 4:28 PM
them bones

Tulsa.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 4:51 PM

I think a better thread title is “cities that have experienced the least gentrification in their neighborhoods”.

Gentrification seems much more a neighborhood-level descriptor, not a city-level one.

I don’t think of any city as being “gentrified” or not. Cities have experienced gentrification and decline to their neighborhoods on a somewhat cyclical basis since cities were founded.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 6:45 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Just indicative of a massive wealth divide in the city. Lots of income inequality.

It's obviously a bit different but Toronto has a similar map. We are becoming more income divided and I don't think it's a good thing. My area is technically classified as being more or less stable, but that's because there are more poor people to offset the new rich. We are weirdly probably in the middle.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
El Paso?
Can’t think of one more spot on than this. Fresno probably gets a runner up. Although, I’m mostly thinking of CBD and inner/middle neighborhoods.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Buffalo. End of thread. Let's go home.
Agreed. They are long over due for some (re)development. And a Superb Owl ring.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:48 AM

The actual City of Miami is pretty un-gentrified overall. Most of the city is still poor/immigrant enclaves with most of the wealth just outside the city limits (Coral Gables to the west, South Miami to the SW, Key Biscayne and Miami Beach to the east...etc). THe "nice" areas area all the areas of the City basically east of US-1/I-95. But most of those were never bad to begin with so they never really gentrified with the exception of the Edgewater/Wynwood area.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:48 AM

May happen once that Tor-Buf-Chester thing Richard Florida spoke of takes off (not likely any time soon).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Tulsa.
True there are neighborhoods within close proximity to downtown that are still rundown. Most new urban development is concentrated downtown and southeast into midtown.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:52 PM

What city is gentrified?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The actual City of Miami is pretty un-gentrified overall. Most of the city is still poor/immigrant enclaves with most of the wealth just outside the city limits (Coral Gables to the west, South Miami to the SW, Key Biscayne and Miami Beach to the east...etc). THe "nice" areas area all the areas of the City basically east of US-1/I-95. But most of those were never bad to begin with so they never really gentrified with the exception of the Edgewater/Wynwood area.
I don’t know. If your talking about horrible areas becoming nice, I get what your saying, but otherwise, Miami has developed for the better, a whole lot. Every neighborhood, bar Coconut Grove has improved. If you mean white people moving in, Miami operates a little differently, with many white hispanics in Miami, actually being white by US standards.

You pretty much have to consider Miami Beach, Gables etc as part of Miami. Same with Beverly Hills and LA, Hudson county-NYC, Arlington-DC, Cambridge-Boston.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 7:30 PM

^^Coconut Grove has gotten worse? That's one of the bright spots in the metro, in my opinion. Some parts are historically working class/poor but it seems like that's being pushed out.

Plus, on a personal note, I love the dense tropical foliage that the South Miami area has. You don't see this kind of full scale tropical environment anywhere else on the Continental US (besides the FL Keys.) It's beautiful!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
What city is gentrified?
San Francisco? Seattle?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
^^Coconut Grove has gotten worse? That's one of the bright spots in the metro, in my opinion. Some parts are historically working class/poor but it seems like that's being pushed out.

Plus, on a personal note, I love the dense tropical foliage that the South Miami area has. You don't see this kind of full scale tropical environment anywhere else on the Continental US (besides the FL Keys.) It's beautiful!
Coconut Grove back in the 80's and early 90's was THE nightlife hotspot. Its much quieter and more "family friendly" now. I guess you could say it gentrified but it was never "bad" it just lost its luster as all the nightlife/bars moved to places like Wynwood and now that Brickell exists the Grove is no longer the place for young yuppies to live. Now its more wealthy families.

Wynwood would qualify as a gentrified area but thats what I meant by the whole "Edgewater" area. Wynwood even has new residents complaining about the noise and trying to get the bars and clubs to quiet down so it has officially reached the point all once fun areas reach.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:10 AM

Canadian cities still distinctly lack gentrification compared to US cities, and the divide is only growing, judging from the higher amounts of people still using public transit. Only in a few cities like Calgary can you see the transit ridership fallen in recent years, people finally moving away from transit, a sign of decreasing poverty and of increasing wealth and ability to afford to drive.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The vast, vast majority of the City of Pittsburgh is not gentrified though. Surrounding urban boroughs are not gentrified either.
Are there any cities whose gentrification covers, "the vast, vast majority?" Huge portions of Philadelphia, like Chicago, have gentrified over the past 20-30 years. But by and large, those neighborhoods are just a small overall proportion of the city. The only ones I can possibly think of are Boston and SF - and those happen to be geographically small cities, which makes a difference. And possibly Seattle but how much of Seattle really "gentrified" as in declined and rebounded (vs being decent neighborhoods all along)? And then you have to think of the level of decline that some cities experienced (with de-industrialization, white flight, etc.) vs others that did not face those challenges (Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis come to mind). I think it's harder to measure "gentrification" in cities that never really hit rock bottom.

To the OP, urbanism has been "cool" now for 25+ years. The expectation is that, by now cores should be wealthy/growing and at least the immediate ring of neighborhoods should be gentrified. I'd categorize any city that fails to meet that threshold as "least gentrified."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 9:41 PM

Dayton, OH.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 10:31 PM

Surprised no one mentioned Baltimore. While it has gentrified areas, mostly near the harbor, but much of remains un-gentrified and it is losing population. A stark contrast with DC proper. Even Philly is doing better.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Surprised no one mentioned Baltimore. While it has gentrified areas, mostly near the harbor, but much of remains un-gentrified and it is losing population. A stark contrast with DC proper. Even Philly is doing better.
Much better. Baltimore needs to gentrify past Johns Hopkins to really be taken seriously.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Are there any cities whose gentrification covers, "the vast, vast majority?" Huge portions of Philadelphia, like Chicago, have gentrified over the past 20-30 years. But by and large, those neighborhoods are just a small overall proportion of the city. The only ones I can possibly think of are Boston and SF - and those happen to be geographically small cities, which makes a difference. And possibly Seattle but how much of Seattle really "gentrified" as in declined and rebounded (vs being decent neighborhoods all along)? And then you have to think of the level of decline that some cities experienced (with de-industrialization, white flight, etc.) vs others that did not face those challenges (Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis come to mind). I think it's harder to measure "gentrification" in cities that never really hit rock bottom.

To the OP, urbanism has been "cool" now for 25+ years. The expectation is that, by now cores should be wealthy/growing and at least the immediate ring of neighborhoods should be gentrified. I'd categorize any city that fails to meet that threshold as "least gentrified."
Agreed, that’s leaves out most cities though. For all inner neighborhoods, only Seattle and Portland(never really bad) would qualify.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions