HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I think a downtown baseball stadium would be great for downtown because it gives downtown residents something to do. A downtown would spur residential development and that was made apparent by graham. They build the stadium, he helps build the residential around it.
Thats not really being the "catalyst"; more like an instigator.

Quote:
Just like LoDo in Denver had a residential boom because of their baseball and football stadiums, so could a missions/MLB adaptable staidum if built behind fox tech.
It could, but I would compare it more to the American Tobacco Campus in Durham minus a movie for the Missions.

Quote:
And graham is doing the startup village regardless of a stadium. So why not also a stadium.
Why not a stadium too? Because he is doing his startup village regardless, that's why-not.

Quote:
Imagine living downtown and catching the streetcar from the pearl to Southtown and pregaming then hitting the streetcar and going to a game.

That's the type of urban activity that sells a Urban area/downtown.
That would be nice, and that is one way to describe urban activity, but there are many other scenarios that don't involve catching a AA baseball team playing a few nights a year.
If all of the apartments near the Pearl don't get filled up based on the contingency that a baseball stadium gets built in DT, then your statement would be 100% true. I think they will fill up even though our DT is denied the privilege of hosting some Missions games, but those are just my thoughts and I'm sure you disagree with me even though I am just being realistic.

Lets just keep focus on residential, and once we take care of that, then we can just build a stadium as an amenity instead of trying to trick developers into building something.

I just had a great idea... lets make a fake press release and put up a cardboard stadium and see if Graham Weston bites.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:19 AM

The idea of a baseball stadium downtown is cool but....the Missions have a perfectly good stadium already. What would happen to the current Wolff Stadium? If it were my money, I'd want to invest in something that the city doesn't have.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 8:05 PM

The Fox Tech site would be the ideal choice for a baseball stadium downtown. The seating could be oriented facing south and east, keeping the sun out of spectator's eyes, and allowing the view beyond the outfield to look something like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...,129.3,,0,-3.1

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
The Fox Tech site would be the ideal choice for a baseball stadium downtown. The seating could be oriented facing south and east, keeping the sun out of spectator's eyes, and allowing the view beyond the outfield to look something like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...,129.3,,0,-3.1
That' one ugly view!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
That' one ugly view!
Ironic comment considering your avatar.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio