HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 12:48 AM

San Antonio River: Mission Reach

So I went for a walk down the first portion of the Mission Reach that has opened up and I must say it is looking very nice. I can't wait for 2012 when the first trees will be planted and all of the grass is grown in. Once its all finished I probably won't mind riding my bike from north of downtown all the way to 410 on the southside.

Took some pics with my phone, so here's the first 1.3 miles that have opened so far:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Xv2psARHFFI/TR...-26-28_780.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Xv2psARHFFI/TR...3-28-33_41.jpg

And work continues on the rest...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 2:13 AM

Thanks for the pics. Looks like it has some great potential.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 8:40 AM

Its looking very nice, a much more peaceful and secluded compliment to the busier northern sections. I wonder if they're planning any art installations for the freeway overpasses, like with the museum reach?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 4:50 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I absolutely love the mission reach. It's too bad the trees have to wait 2 years....

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 11:50 PM
Let's Eat!

Great project that will add much need biking/walking ability and will bring back some lost or damaged habitat.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 12:54 AM
Meh

Cool. Thanks for the update. So I take it this is accessible from downtown? How many miles is it from downtown to the missions via the river?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Cool. Thanks for the update. So I take it this is accessible from downtown?
It will be once the whole thing is complete; although with a few small detours, you could ride from the Zoo/Incarnate Word/Brackenridge Park all the way to Mission Espada outside of 410 south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
How many miles is it from downtown to the missions via the river?
From DT (Alamo St. in King William,) the missions are spaced out about every 1.5 - 2 miles from each other; in total about 8 miles.

http://www.sanantonioriver.org/
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 1:56 AM
Meh

That's doable. It would probably take longer, though, because I'm sure I'd be stopping for pics often. I did ride the Riverwalk to Rivernorth back in July. I've explored just about every where in downtown, so I'm wanting to branch out some and see more.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 3:39 PM

Thank you so much for posting these photos,I cannot be there and I'm pleased to know that there are people that continue to post pics and write about what I wish I could see in person.Keep it up fellas PS I'll try and get my sister to take some pics so I can start udateing the SA board A little more often.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:23 AM

Blue Star Phase II

I will start by saying that I check this forum on a pretty regular basis hoping to see activity levels return to where they once were...it's been pretty quiet for a long time so I hope that this is a sign of good things to come...project wise!

Note: I know there were previous posts regarding the Big Tex proposal but I couldn't locate them so I decided to place my entry here. If anyone would like to move to a more appropriate spot I would appreciate it!

Hope you enjoy the article.

Council could grant $5M to Big Tex site

Council could grant $5M to Big Tex site

mySA.com (Express News)
By: Valentino Lucio
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012

After years of searching for financing and cleaning up asbestos-riddled soil, the redevelopment of the Big Tex site is closer to becoming a reality.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...#ixzz1xY9c7Bmz

I think I posted this appropriately.

Last edited by SAonFire; Jun 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:24 PM
Endless Moments...

I saw it. It looks really awesome. The pics are the best part of it...

Agreed hope its the start of a lot more to come...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:58 PM

Slowly but surely the density is building up down in Southtown/SoFlo.
Density builds on density and the projects that are now complete (St. B's, Cevallos) and those that are getting there (Steel House, the 1010) set the stage nicely for others to come in.
Next thing you know, we'll hear something about Lone Star and the Mission Power Plant redevelopment just down the river.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:49 AM

R.I.P. "Southtown." Welcome to the Gentrification 101 textbook.

Last edited by arhavel; Jun 13, 2012 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:50 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I always thought Southtown would be a great location for a boutique hotel. Maybe 4-5 stories.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhavel View Post
R.I.P. "Southtown." Welcome to the Gentrification 101 textbook.
This is happening in an underutilized industrial area. Getting rid of a toxic abandoned plant and expanding the city's cultural district is not a bad thing. As far as "Southtown" being gentrified (?), King William has been King William for a long time (wealthy, somewhat progressive (don't tell that to Sandra Cisneros) and, yes, largely white. Lavaca has been a destination for young creative types (mostly hispanic) for at least 20 years, and I don't see that changing. This isn't downtown Austin. It's more like South or East Austin, which are still funky, young, creative neighborhoods.

SoFlo would be more appropriately characterized as becoming gentrified. It depends on who you ask, but I always thought of SoFlo as being marginally connected to Southtown. I always thought Southtown was east of King William/the Arsenal.

Incidentally, before I moved away last month I noticed that, while bike use was always common in Southtown, in the last year or so it has literally EXPLODED. It's like Portland down there.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post

Incidentally, before I moved away last month I noticed that, while bike use was always common in Southtown, in the last year or so it has literally EXPLODED. It's like Portland down there.
It's great to see the bike usage. I haven't taken a leisurely ride in that area, in a while, but might be time to do so!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post

SoFlo would be more appropriately characterized as becoming gentrified. It depends on who you ask, but I always thought of SoFlo as being marginally connected to Southtown. I always thought Southtown was east of King William/the Arsenal.
And even then, it hardly can be. Most of the people that live south of SoFlo/Cevallos are not going to be losing their homes anytime soon because of the exploding property taxes. It'll take a while for that to be the reality and even then, it might happen so slow that it will just be considered a natural stage of "progression" that everyone "wants" for their neighborhood. Also, it's not like a Coach store has taken up shop in the corner currently occupied by Groff Bros. Tire Co. Now if that were the case or if Whole Foods were moving in at the Tejas Supreme Meats building at this stage of the neighborhoods progression, then I might consider that gentrification, but again, even that might be a stretch considering a billionaire and a few millionaires live a couple of blocks north.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:56 PM

Definitely true about the bike usage. When we would come to town to catch a Spurs game, we would take the Blue Star bus and the lot was always full. A lot of them were there to bike in the area.

As far as the gentrification goes, there is definitely activity in the area but most are rental if I'm not mistaken. That's not the same as people putting roots down in an area; so I think that's a longer way away. If the renters decide to actually buy in the area then things could start to turn.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 10:17 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Biking has exploded in SA in general. I've been a biker for a long time, and I'm glad to finally have company pretty much wherever I go!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 6:06 AM

Miaht82 called it! Three years after the last news on the development, I was really happy to wake up and read this. Hopefully it's not gated this time.

Quote:
Lone Star site in contract
By Valentino Lucio, San Antonio Express-News

Austin-based AquaLand Development LLC is currently under contract to purchase the nearly 22-acre property ..... preliminary plans for the property are for a $60 million mixed-use development incorporating about 700 residential units that could be a mix of apartments, condominiums and townhomes, about 30,000 square feet of commercial space, a hotel and beer gardens.....

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...#ixzz1yPB8EmCc

Does anyone remember the details of the old plan and know how this compares? I looked for the old plan by the prior developer didn't find much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio