HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1221  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 6:00 AM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Hey everyone, we dont know who, but this is on good authority, so it must be true!!!
You can believe it or not.

I'm pretty sure the NB scenario is the last line of defense, but it is on the table.

Personally, I think it would be great to move SAT to NB, and re-purpose the land SAT currently sits on. That's prime land bounded by 410 and 281. Imagine the Pearl times 10.

Add in smart public transit, on 410, 281 and Broadway, and that could be a definite winner.

I don't understand your outright objection to such a scenario.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jun 23, 2018 at 4:50 AM. Reason: Offensive language. First and last warning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1222  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 6:08 AM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Or forget the Pearl. Imagine Brooks City Base times 100, with better accessibility.

You can easily see business, retail, hotels, and residential on that parcel, again, with easy access to Park North and to Downtown, the Quarry, Brackenridge Park, and all of what is going on along the Broadway corridor, connecting to the Pearl, down the Museum Reach of the River, right into River North, and smack dab into Downtown proper.

Quit thinking small.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1223  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 9:54 PM
UltraDanPrime's Avatar
UltraDanPrime UltraDanPrime is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 166
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Just having a little fun. I just think it's funny when people have a huge source, but cant say who!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1224  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 12:42 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
People are driving to Austin now, why not NB?
Traffic, intelligent planning, convenience, people from bigger and foreign cities who expect rail to the airport (especially a brand new 21st century airport), rising cost of fuel, climate change, door-to-door service, removing the hassle of airport parking, showing others thoughtful planning, projecting forward thinking as a world class city, doing it right instead of being lazy with the planning, many other good reasons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1225  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 3:11 PM
Rynetwo Rynetwo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Traffic, intelligent planning, convenience, people from bigger and foreign cities who expect rail to the airport (especially a brand new 21st century airport), rising cost of fuel, climate change, door-to-door service, removing the hassle of airport parking, showing others thoughtful planning, projecting forward thinking as a world class city, doing it right instead of being lazy with the planning, many other good reasons.
Truly forward thinking would say that rail and subways are probably going to be obsolete in the next 50 years. Domestic air travel might also go by the wayside if forward thinkers have their way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1226  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 3:27 PM
texastarkus texastarkus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Far Sub-Urban San Antonio
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Or forget the Pearl. Imagine Brooks City Base times 100, with better accessibility.

You can easily see business, retail, hotels, and residential on that parcel, again, with easy access to Park North and to Downtown, the Quarry, Brackenridge Park, and all of what is going on along the Broadway corridor, connecting to the Pearl, down the Museum Reach of the River, right into River North, and smack dab into Downtown proper.

Quit thinking small.
I agree Brooks would be a great idea BUT I know the neighbors were used to the jet traffic but how long has Brooks been closed and have they gotten used to the occasional take off or landing???? What will they say to 40 daily Southwest departures, 20 American and what ever Frontier is gonna throw at us????
Another question with the recent improvements at San Antonio Int'l will we actually pay $500 million for a terminal at Brooks or 1.5 billion for a completely new facility in New Braunfels that is even closer to ABIA? How are we gonna convince airlines to move to NB? Someone is gonna need to fall on the sword for this one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1227  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 9:14 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Truly forward thinking would say that rail and subways are probably going to be obsolete in the next 50 years. Domestic air travel might also go by the wayside if forward thinkers have their way.
Very true. Please help convince the doubters you know and make the world a better place one person at a time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1228  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 9:57 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
I agree Brooks would be a great idea BUT I know the neighbors were used to the jet traffic but how long has Brooks been closed and have they gotten used to the occasional take off or landing???? What will they say to 40 daily Southwest departures, 20 American and what ever Frontier is gonna throw at us????
Another question with the recent improvements at San Antonio Int'l will we actually pay $500 million for a terminal at Brooks or 1.5 billion for a completely new facility in New Braunfels that is even closer to ABIA? How are we gonna convince airlines to move to NB? Someone is gonna need to fall on the sword for this one.
Huh? I'm not talking about moving the airport to Brooks. That would be impossible.

I'm talking about, if SAT were to move. turning the land SAT currently sits on into Brooks like community of hotels, retail, education, residential, etc...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1229  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 10:00 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Traffic, intelligent planning, convenience, people from bigger and foreign cities who expect rail to the airport (especially a brand new 21st century airport), rising cost of fuel, climate change, door-to-door service, removing the hassle of airport parking, showing others thoughtful planning, projecting forward thinking as a world class city, doing it right instead of being lazy with the planning, many other good reasons.
I don't disagree with you, IF and ONLY IF an existing rail right of way is available, and useful. I certainly don't see any reason for laying new railroad, since rail usage as means to move passengers around town is going the way of the Dodo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1230  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 11:42 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
I don't disagree with you, IF and ONLY IF an existing rail right of way is available, and useful. I certainly don't see any reason for laying new railroad, since rail usage as means to move passengers around town is going the way of the Dodo.
OK, dedicated bus lanes from downtown (and other key points) to the airport that other vehicles CAN NOT use, with regularly schedules buses at intervals that are useful to thousands of flyers per day. That works too. But lane sharing is not acceptable in any way at any point along the journey. That's a recipe for failure and will only be ridiculed by world travelers accustomed to intelligent planning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1231  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 1:47 AM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Truly forward thinking would say that rail and subways are probably going to be obsolete in the next 50 years. Domestic air travel might also go by the wayside if forward thinkers have their way.
I'm not willing to believe this until at least one metro passenger rail system in the world actually gets replaced by something better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1232  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 6:38 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I'm not willing to believe this until at least one metro passenger rail system in the world actually gets replaced by something better.
Technically mag-lev isn't rail, but I still put it in the same basic category because it has its own dedicated lane to travel in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1233  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 8:20 AM
SAhometown SAhometown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 56
Woot! Record growth now at 2 years!

Also preliminary master plan work underway!

https://www.ksat.com/news/record-pas...-federal-grant
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1234  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:30 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Airport officials are looking for a new plan:

https://therivardreport.com/airport-...trategic-plan/

"Those recommendations will guide the second phase of the strategic planning process, which will include identifying and evaluating potential airport expansion alternatives. During that phase of the process, the strategic planning team also will create an airport development and implementation plan and a financial feasibility study."

Looks like just about anything could be on the table. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1235  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:20 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,712
San Antonio now has three last mile scoter transportation options as local start up Blue Duck scooters launches downtown in the Tech District.

Rivard Report

Blue Duck Scooters Formally Launches with New Tech District Roost



Quote:
The Birds and Limes in downtown San Antonio have been joined by Blue Ducks.

Homegrown and locally based e-scooter startup Blue Duck Scooters, which has been operating a couple dozen scooters in the Pearl since mid-July, made its formal launch Wednesday deploying scooters near the downtown Houston Street corridor commonly known as the tech district.

“We’ve been working toward this for months, and we’re delighted to be out here giving folks a true local option related to e-scooters,” President Eric Bell said.

The company is one of three scooter operators in the city. Santa Monica, California-based Bird entered the fray in June releasing hundreds of the app-enabled, rechargeable scooters in downtown San Antonio, and San Mateo, California-headquartered LimeBike began offering its scooter-share services last month.

All three companies charge riders a base fee of a dollar and 15 cents for every minute of usage. Bell said Blue Duck is exploring commuter packages as well as discounts for lower-income riders and military members.

Blue Duck’s fleet is made up of dozens of scooters, and the company plans on adding dozens more each day, Bell said.

“We’re not just throwing stuff out on the streets,” he said. “We’re rolling them out pragmatically.”

John Jacks, director of San Antonio’s Center City Development and Operations Department, said a total of 12 scooter-share companies have contacted the City and expressed interest in offering their services locally. Jacks said he anticipates as many as five companies operating in San Antonio this fall.

In terms of its fleet, Blue Duck remains a small part of the local e-scooter landscape. According to the City of San Antonio, 400 scooters comprise Bird’s San Antonio fleet while LimeBike operates 345 scooters.

On Wednesday morning, eight Blue Duck scooters were parked right outside the Rand Building on Houston Street, which houses the tech-centric co-working space Geekdom. And the company’s mobile app features a geolocation map for finding scooters.

According to the map, there were seven locations in and around North Main Avenue, East Houston Street, and Soledad Street in which scooters could be found. Two markers on the map indicated scooter locations in the Pearl area.

San Antonio isn’t the only market Blue Duck is eyeing. The company has been operating informally at Trinity University and is considering launching services on other college campuses.

Blue Duck representatives also have shown interest in taking scooter-share to corporate campuses.

The e-scooter company has a different model than its competitors for collecting the vehicles at night and deploying them again in the morning. Instead of hiring contractors, known as chargers, to recharge and reset its scooter fleet, Blue Duck’s in-house staff picks up the vehicles, inspects them for any damage, and if they are safe enough, releases them the next day.

Blue Duck officials also have said the company supports geofencing, a technology that restricts parking and usage in certain areas – for example, wheelchair-accessible ramps and pedestrian plazas – through GPS.

A geofencing-enabled scooter can beep as the vehicle nears an area, such as Alamo Plaza or the Mission Reach, where use might be restricted, and eventually shut off if the geofenced area is entered. If a scooter is stopped in an area where parking is unauthorized, the app will not allow a rider to end his or her scooter session. If the person were to abandon the scooter without ending the session, he or she would continue to be charged for usage.

In July, the company hired the OCI Group, a government relations firm, to lobby for e-scooter-friendly regulations and infrastructure throughout the state. Locally, the group is focused on crafting a plan to build dedicated lanes for bicyclists and scooterists in the urban core, university campuses, and the Medical Center area.

Even though Blue Duck’s scooter fleet remains demonstrably smaller than its deep-pocketed competitors, Bell said Wednesday’s announcement was about “making a statement.”

“Today was about putting the tech community on notice that we’re real and we’re here to stay, and we’re building a company that’s competitive in a meaningful way with some of the biggest startups in the modern world,” he said.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1236  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 12:43 AM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
In California, idiots are wantonly destroying the Bird scooters there.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...809-story.html

I don't get it. Took a ride on a scooter this past weekend. We might need to set up some rules for the road with them, as well as an age restriction, but all in all, I like them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1237  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:31 AM
txex06 txex06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
In California, idiots are wantonly destroying the Bird scooters there.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...809-story.html

I don't get it. Took a ride on a scooter this past weekend. We might need to set up some rules for the road with them, as well as an age restriction, but all in all, I like them.
Scooters are littered all around Southtown. They are abandoned along the riverwalk, middle of sidewalks, in front of people's yards, and in the few pocket parks in the area. It looks real junky. Won't be long before they are lying on the bottom of the river. A Bird drop-off spot on S Main Is the sidewalk in front of someone's house. I think there needs to be a little bit of order for scooters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1238  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:29 PM
Dale Dale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I'm not willing to believe this until at least one metro passenger rail system in the world actually gets replaced by something better.
"something better" might be ripping up light rail tracks. They're transit killers in most municipalities. Addition by subtraction!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1239  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:46 PM
UltraDanPrime's Avatar
UltraDanPrime UltraDanPrime is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 166
Rail = dinosaur! I believe China has trackless trains in operation. China is a place in the world.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1240  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:25 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
Scooters are littered all around Southtown. They are abandoned along the riverwalk, middle of sidewalks, in front of people's yards, and in the few pocket parks in the area. It looks real junky. Won't be long before they are lying on the bottom of the river. A Bird drop-off spot on S Main Is the sidewalk in front of someone's house. I think there needs to be a little bit of order for scooters.
I agree. I said that some order needs to come with them. That said, they are fun to ride, less bulky than the bikes, and can work well, if managed correctly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:17 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.