HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:30 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Well why does Regina get a Carl's Jr but not us. It's not fair.
Regina still has a Fuddruckers and a few other oddball franchises that went the way of the do-do in Winnipeg ages ago.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There is no fast food chain that is as badly desired by Winnipeggers as the one that isn't here yet.
True!

Also:

In-N-Out Burger

Cheesecake Factory

Red Robin

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
True!

Also:

In-N-Out Burger

Cheesecake Factory

Red Robin
I'm surprised Culver's isn't here yet.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Not true. In my opinion, Chicken Delight is superior to KFC (not saying much, I know). Also, I don't see a whole lot of difference between CD and Chicken Chef. Clearly Chicken Chef has modeled their operation after CD. I'm sure my fondness for CD may have something to do with nostalgia from childhood, but I have tried lots of other places, and CD is perfectly fine once in a while.

The real question is, will Winnipeg ever get a Chic-Fil-A ??
The first location in Toronto just opened with plans for more locations in that city. Definitely see them expanding here in the next ten years.

They're the third-largest fast-food chain in sales in America behind only Starbucks and McDonald's and ahead of Subway. That's also being closed on Sundays.

Would definitely visit a Sonic Drive-In a couple of times a year if there was one in Winnipeg for their shakes and sides (not fries). Disappointed they discontinued their Chicago dogs.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Regina still has a Fuddruckers and a few other oddball franchises that went the way of the do-do in Winnipeg ages ago.
I'm in Regina quite a bit for kids hockey tournaments and we almost always hit up Fuddruckers, toasted buns and love the burger toppings bar!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I'm surprised Culver's isn't here yet.
Never been to a Culver's. Looks like they are all over the midwest US but no Canadian locations yet.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:30 PM

Culvers mostly self-funds their expansion and is still working towards fully covering the USA.

Chick-fil-A and their discriminator labor practices are not welcome in this province. If they never come here that will be more than soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
What world are we all living in where being unionized means you won't be harassed (sexually or otherwise) at work?
Being unionized will not prevent sexual harassment from happening in any workplace. That said when it does and you are the victim you have a world of support backing you up as you go through the process v working in a minimum wage job like Stella's where you are on your own.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:07 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Chick-fil-A and their discriminator labor practices are not welcome in this province. If they never come here that will be more than soon enough.
<citation required>

I am aware the owners are religious and do not agree with LGBTQ issues, however I don't believe that it has affected their labor practices.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:11 PM

What are some good burger places in Winnipeg that do burgers similar to Culvers? I like their patty because it has a good crispy crust/char to it from the grill.

A lot of the local burger places that specialize in fat boys just don't do it for me, I'm looking for more of a standard burger if that makes sense. Maybe its something in the seasoning at the Greek burger places I don't care for.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
What are some good burger places in Winnipeg that do burgers similar to Culvers? I like their patty because it has a good crispy crust/char to it from the grill.

A lot of the local burger places that specialize in fat boys just don't do it for me, I'm looking for more of a standard burger if that makes sense. Maybe its something in the seasoning at the Greek burger places I don't care for.
None, because good burger places don't make burgers like Culvers.

I dunno what you really mean, but if a good basic burger is what you want, Vicky's diner on Albert?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Culvers mostly self-funds their expansion and is still working towards fully covering the USA.

Being unionized will not prevent sexual harassment from happening in any workplace. That said when it does and you are the victim you have a world of support backing you up as you go through the process v working in a minimum wage job like Stella's where you are on your own.
Are you the arbitror of what's welcome in the province? Like h0twired not sure your source. I googled it and nothing of substance came up. Googled McDonalds labor practices, and more came up than chik-fil-a.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:58 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
<citation required>

I am aware the owners are religious and do not agree with LGBTQ issues, however I don't believe that it has affected their labor practices.
Yeah their only remotely controversial labour practice is to be closed on sundays to give their employees a day off to spend with their families etc. Just because one of the owners has a non-mainstream view of marriage does not mean that the corporation is a paragon of evil. Not sure why people always try and connect the two.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
None, because good burger places don't make burgers like Culvers.

I dunno what you really mean, but if a good basic burger is what you want, Vicky's diner on Albert?
Generally speaking, I just don’t care for the burgers in Winnipeg that come from places that serve Fat Boys or have chilli on ever burger. I’ve never been to Vicky’s but I just checked the menu- every single burger has chilli on it.

And those types of burgers are fine, just not what I’m usually looking for. Maybe a cheeseburger from Vicky’s minus the chilli would be up my alley, I just tend to find all those “Greek Winnipeg fat boy” burger places kinda overrated - but I’m basing a lot of that on past experiences at George’s /Red Top/ Dairy Delight

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 2:16 PM

^ Go to VJ's and sample a VJ's Special before you write off the Greek Fat Boy-type burger...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 4:17 PM

Maybe just order without chili? I like the Winnipeg greek style burgers with chili, but my wife doesn't so she will order without the chili. Maybe try the regular cheeseburger (hold the chili) at the Nook Diner? Tastes nicely charred and homemade, with a toasted bun. Yum! (now I'm hungry!)

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 8:09 PM

Noticed that the new Popeye's on Henderson Highway (in front of the Boston Pizza) now has a sign saying they are hiring. Guess they will be opening soon.

Also the No Frills at McIvor Mall has a similar sign up but theirs says part-time help only. Lots of trucks this past week delivering goodies to fill their shelves but I have no idea what the actual opening date is.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:14 AM

The Burger Bar on Main St. near Jefferson makes a good burger, but its Five Guys pricey. think its cash only. I also don't know if its seasonal like the ice-cream place next door and is closed during the winter.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 4:03 PM

I love the chili in a burger, it's not complete without it. What I do hate though is the places that smother the entire outside of the burger in chili – gross.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
<citation required>

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah their only remotely controversial labour practice is to be closed on sundays to give their employees a day off to spend with their families etc. Just because one of the owners has a non-mainstream view of marriage does not mean that the corporation is a paragon of evil. Not sure why people always try and connect the two.
Quote:
At least 122 companies are currently suing the federal government over the requirement to provide birth control, so at least that many might leap at the opportunity to stop covering it. In 2014, Mother Jones profiled some of these groups, which include a military contractor that stamps Bible verses on its rifles and a car dealership owned by a born-again Christian. And though they are less vocal about the birth-control mandate, many big companies, including Tyson Foods and Chick-fil-A, have religious roots or founders.
Source

It isn't just LGBTQ that is under attack from Chick-Fil-A but women and all religions that are not Christian. It is the EXACT type of business that has NO place in this province. Heck, if a few people can have an approved demolition permit pulled after the building has been fully gutted and effectively derelict I am sure the community as a whole can actively work to keep Chick-Fil-A where it should be -- out of this province.

And for those that are wondering, do your own searches but Chick-Fil-A has actively given millions to anti-LGBTQ groups that support conversion therapy.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
And for those that are wondering, do your own searches but Chick-Fil-A has actively given millions to anti-LGBTQ groups that support conversion therapy.
You may be shocked to find out that business owners in this province financially support a lot of various conservative-oriented causes that the CBC would most definitely not approve of.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan