HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:03 PM

Too bad about the Spire, but it was what most of us expected. I only hope Related doesn't pull a Waterview tower and eff up something that could have been great. You gotta hope they'd see the benefit of having one great signature tower in the city given that they have already built quite a bit in Chicago. If they build a dud, they will have an even worse reputation in the Chicago architecture community.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Kelleher's story may be done with as far as leading it. But your forgetting Atlas got involved in the project now, who also wanted to see the development built. You know, someone who actually does have money. I can almost guarantee they're going to try to discuss with Related about something in relation to the Spire. That's why I would hold the funeral, because if Atlas and other investors really were committed to the project they could change Related's goal about what they were going to do with the site.
You sure are perseverative. Kelleher and Atlas came up with their plan. Related called their bluff. No money. Case closed.

Whoever approaches Related will now have to pay an additional premium to buy out Related. Related has no interest in joint venturing the development of the site with Atlas. Despite all your and Oliver and Hardy's (Atlas and Kelleher) brave and defiant words, neither could ferret out or pony up the interim $22M to keep the charade going.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:51 PM
Marina City

Quote:
I'll be interested to see what happens next. Do you think everyone is just going to let the Spire project go splat?
Onn, I want you to know, I appreciated your posts and positive attitude. Those "foolish knuckle heads" who call you names dont deserve great things like this building in their city anyway.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
You sure are perseverative. Kelleher and Atlas came up with their plan. Related called their bluff. No money. Case closed.

Whoever approaches Related will now have to pay an additional premium to buy out Related. Related has no interest in joint venturing the development of the site with Atlas. Despite all your and Oliver and Hardy's (Atlas and Kelleher) brave and defiant words, neither could ferret out or pony up the interim $22M to keep the charade going.
Atlas was just working in the context of the bankruptcy before, in that they had to find someone to fund the bankruptcy exist Shelbourne created. Atlas may very much still have the intention of carrying on the project. Developers exchange plots all the time if there is good reason to do so or partner together or any numbers of things. If Atlas thought it had the money and investor support to push through the project they could go to Related with a proposal. It doesn't sound like Atlas had any intention of just seeing the project die just like Kelleher.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 5:00 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Where can I find the previous threads for this project? Links would be superb.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 5:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothalamus View Post
Where can I find the previous threads for this project? Links would be superb.
Here's one of them: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=124368

Title is funny too: CHICAGO | Chicago Spire | 2,000 FT / 610 M | 150 FLOORS | NO OBS DECK SO DON'T ASK

Seems that the nagging continued even from its inception.

Here is version three: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=121378

CHICAGO: Chicago Spire - 2,000' roof/160 floors v3

Version two: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=101276

IDK where the original version is though or version one.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post
Onn, I want you to know, I appreciated your posts and positive attitude. Those "foolish knuckle heads" who call you names dont deserve great things like this building in their city anyway.
Thank you! I try my best! I still think the "Dead and Gone" needs to be removed, I don't know how that got put in the title. No project has ever said that.

I'm believer in the Spire, I think a lot of people have given it the short end of the stick.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 5:21 PM

This could of been a great building, maybe the best looking in the world. This is a stick in Chicago's and the developer's eye unfortunately. It is not a good thing for Chicago to have this fail. Those who think otherwise are delusional.

Maybe if it was in Manhatten or Dubai it would have been built, with government assistance

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Maybe if it was in Manhatten or Dubai it would have been built, with government assistance
Not wanting to pile on but there has been a tremendous amount of liquidity in the world's financial markets that a project like this "should" have gotten easy financing by now! The fact that it didn't, by "anyone", says more about the state of Chicago in the world of Commerical Real Estate financing that NO ONE stepped up to the plate to take over the project. The amounts that they've been talking about is relatively small to what developers around the US, and the world, have been putting to work with access to easy money (ie FED QEs). The HARD truth is that anyone with the means just didn't see this project as economically viable....in Chicago. Sorry, I really like Chicago and think its one of the best cities in the US (if not the world) but when it came to putting their "money where their mouths were"....develpers said "NO thanks!"

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
This could of been a great building, maybe the best looking in the world. This is a stick in Chicago's and the developer's eye unfortunately. It is not a good thing for Chicago to have this fail. Those who think otherwise are delusional.

Seems to me you're the one who's delusional. Projects come and go, that's just the nature of real estate. The Spire had its chance but things didn't work out. I'm sure better and maybe even bigger buildings will come along in the future.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
Yeah, I'm sure Calatrava's reputation as the cost overrun king had nothing to do with it. Neither did Kelleher's reputation of being nothing but a glorified painter who tried his hands at real estate.

Oh, and I'm still waiting to see that all residential 2000ft tower in NYC.
And despite Calatrava's cost overruns his work is continually finished because people like it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 6:44 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
That's NYC though and their crown jewel development. The stuff they've built/proposed here is very conventional by comparison. While that is not necessarily a bad thing they've been let downs in the materials used consequently making them look cheap. I do not have high expectations.
This part of my post got cut off, but I mentioned how Related was (to some extent) pushed into good architecture and planning by the Bloomberg administration and civic groups like MAS.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 6:47 PM

Quote:
And despite Calatrava's cost overruns his work is continually finished because people like it.
Or because people don't want to be left with a half built eyesore.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
The HARD truth is that anyone with the means just didn't see this project as economically viable....in Chicago.
Or they didn't have confidence in a relatively unexperienced developer with a problematic history that was already nearly $150 million in the red.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 10:18 PM

can we close this thread already? there is absolutely no reason to talk about it further. we are most likley going to get a new design, so we can make a new thread when that happens

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
can we close this thread already? there is absolutely no reason to talk about it further. we are most likley going to get a new design, so we can make a new thread when that happens
Related doesn't have control of the site being the court isn't open on the weekend, there's no design for the site, and the Spire is going to continue to be relevant until the dust settles by the actors involved. You might be in for a long wait because no one knows what's going to happen yet.

Last edited by Onn; Nov 1, 2014 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Related doesn't have control of the site, there's no design for the site, and the Spire is going to continue to be relevant until the dust settles by the actors involved. You might be in for a long wait because no one knows what's going to happen yet.
What do you mean doesn't have control of the site? like the papers haven't been signed yet? Doesn't related get the site if Kelleher doesn't pay? well he didn't, so the spire is gone. Operator was so sure of this they put the two related towers as proposed on the database.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
What do you mean doesn't have control of the site? like the papers haven't been signed yet? Doesn't related get the site if Kelleher doesn't pay? well he didn't, so the spire is gone. Operator was so sure of this they put the two related towers as proposed on the database.
It's the weekend dude, nothing's happening. Again though, if there was in fact a high amount of interest in the Spire project that could change Related's plans if they do get control of the site. It could take awhile for Related to figure out what they're going to do with the site next.

I'm not sure how anyone could know what Related wanted to do with the site next considering they never presented a real plan or said anything concrete. Although there is a concept render, its just that, a concept. It's possible Related could use some form of the Spire project for their plan. Until they say something no one will know.

Last edited by Onn; Nov 1, 2014 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 3:40 AM
MPLSXCHI

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 4:23 AM
devout Pizzatarian

* city vs. city posts deleted *

city vs. city nonsense is not tolerated at SSP.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects