HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:

Nothing stays the same forever.

Long time Kelowna residents will remember when the Capri Mall was the hub of commercial activity in the city.

Now, mall owners are proposing a complete facelift of the 54-year-old, underused mall.

The facelift, proposed by property owners RG Properties, would include several residential towers.

City Urban Planning Manager, Ryan Smith, says the idea has been in the discussion stages for nearly 10 years.

He says an official development application for rezoning and an Official Community Plan amendment for the site was filed with the city a little more than a year ago.

"We are working with the owner of the mall site on a potential mixed use, redevelopment plan," says Smith.

"It's a long term plan for the mall site. We are looking at changing the mall you see today into a more pedestrian environment with a mix of housing types while retaining the existing commercial development that's there today."

He says the plan presented to the city would include as many as eight to 10 buildings of varying heights.

"Right now, we do know the zoning says between, I think, four and 10 storeys on the site. That will develop as we move more into the comprehensive planning process and we get some neighbourhood feedback and the property owner and their design team considers that."

Smith says the developers are in the process of beginning the public consultation process.

With the next week or so, a mail-out will be going out to neighbours for a public meeting in mid-November.

The application as it currently sits calls for parking below grade allowing for current parking lot space to be utilized as part of the development itself.

Smith stresses the proposal before the city does not call for the elimination of the commercial component of the mall.

"The mall will stay in some form," says Smith.

"They are not going to replace the mall or eliminate the commercial functions on the site - just replace them in phases with more modern buildings. The hotel of course will stay as is on the site."

As part of the application, Smith says one of the primary amenities is a central park which has an ice rink type feature.

"The property owner does manage several ice rinks in the province (including Prospera Place).

Our downtown ice rink is a very popular with residents of Kelowna and I think the developer sees that as a positive for the neighbourhood."

The application likely will go through several tweaks and changes before it finds its way to City Council - possibly a year or more from now.

While council has yet to speak on the application, Smith says he believes the location is ideal for a development such as this.

He says he's excited about the potential for redevelopment on the Capri site.

"When you are considering a redevelopment, I think the city sees this site as a key development site along the Highway 97 corridor," says Smith.

"It is in an urban centre that our Official Community Plan recognizes as a future mixed use development site. I think the devil will be in the details - working through the details of the building height and the density and how the servicing works for the development itself."

Smith says if and when the development moves through the system to final approval, it would likely be done in phases over a 15 to 25 year period.
All from: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news...-1-.htm#101574

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Last you checked must have been a while ago then. The estimates released last year (estimates are widely considered to be more accurate than census data) put its population at over 3.9 million for 2012 (3 957 000 to be exact)... following that growth trajectory, it should have surpassed 4 million this year or will by the end of Q1 2014.

Source: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm
Very interesting, thanks for the link.

I was going by the 2011 census statistics released last year.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 8:59 PM
ARTchitecture

No prob! Can someone perhaps do a construction update? OR at least a nice pic of Landmark Six?!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:

A planned multi-use development proposed by St. Paul's United Church on Lakeshore Road would be a welcome addition to the South Pandosy Urban Centre.

That's the conclusion of a staff report which will be presented to Kelowna City Council Monday.

The proposed development would include a four storey structure comprising of parking, office space, residential units (3rd and 4th floors) and an arts and worship centre (rear of the building).

Staff does anticipate the project will undergo some modifications prior to final adoption, however, the overall mix of uses and the general format of the project is expected to remain unchanged.

Officials with the church say the current St. Paul's Church is in need of renewal.

"Changing dynamics due to a nationwide shift from conventional church operating structure, an aging congregation and an aging building which no longer reflects the core values nor meets the needs of new ministry prompted renewal and pro-active vision," stated the developers.

"To create sustainability for the organization St. Paul's organized a comprehensive development strategy to enhance management of its land asset. Through development the organization could realize its new arts and worship centre and sustained income to continue the life, work, ministry and outreach of the church."
Pic and story from: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news...-1-.htm#102751

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 3:59 AM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

St. Paul United Church development has a website up now: http://sanctuarykelowna.com/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitc View Post
St. Paul United Church development has a website up now: http://sanctuarykelowna.com/
This project has had a very slow start, so it is good to see some movement.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 1:26 PM

Have they started construction on the monaco development yet?

Has anyone heard anything about the interior health tower?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:48 AM

I know this is sort've old, but I hadn't seen it before.

Quote:
Sneak peak at new WFN health facility

By Marshall Jones

November 05, 2013 - 4:00 PM

WESTBANK FIRST NATION - Participants at a Westbank First Nation development conference got first looks at designs for the new Westbank First Nation health facility today.

The private health care building is proposed for WFN land overlooking Okanagan Lake and the south slopes. It's envisioned as a 200,000 square-foot full-scale private hospital providing surgeries and health care for First Nations and anyone who can afford it. The $120-million medical centre is tentatively scheduled to open in 2016. It's a partnership with a private equity firm and the band is in discussions for a research partnership with The Mayo Clinic, Chief Robert Louie has said. It's expected to provide 100 beds and 400 new jobs to the area.

As a self-governing band, the WFN has no restraints about private two-tier medicine.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Marshall Jones at mjones@infotelnews.ca, call 250-718-2724 or tweet @marshalljones23

—This story was edited Nov. 6 from its original version. It clarifies the project's relationship with The Mayo Clinic and removed a statement that phone calls to Westbank First Nation were not returned. We regret the errors.

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/Sneak-pea...acility/IT5759

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 4:06 AM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

Thanks, I have not seen the rendering.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:54 AM

Some sad news from earlier in the month, in case anyone hadn't noticed:

Quote:
SOPA Square enters receivership
Jan 8, 2014 / 5:00 am

Construction has stopped at SOPA Square in South Pandosy, and the project has gone into receivership.
It appears a South Pandosy shopping project, already inundated with numerous snags along the way, has hit another.

Court documents filed in BC Supreme Court on Dec. 30 show the SOPA Square project has fallen into interim receivership, with current tenants being told the project must find a buyer by the end of the month.

As of this writing, only one shop is open for business. Silent Noise Jewellery opened its door on Dec. 8 of last year and owner Gadi Nussen says he received an unwelcome surprise a few weeks later.

On Dec. 31, a man from Ernst & Young Inc., named as interim receiver walked through the doors and told Nussen the project had 30 days to find a buyer.

Photo: Castanet Staff
The owner of Silent Noise Jewellery says he was notified that the project went into receivership on New Year's Eve.
“That’s all they said. That they don’t want to hurt us, hoping they can find a solution – a quick one – its kind of hanging in the air,” says Nussen, who is trying to stay optimistic, but is obviously nervous at this turn of events.

“I don’t know. I need more details and I’ll probably need to call the guy and see what’s going on."

“But many other people are obviously involved with it. The builders themselves were told to stop. They’re waiting, I guess, for some developments to know when they can be back to work.”

He has also heard of some tradespeople not being paid out, but did not run into any problems himself when deciding to open his shop in the building.

“We were able to move in and start working. There weren’t any issues. We got the occupancy permit and all is good,” says Nussen.

“I think we’ll be OK here. This project isn’t going anywhere. I think it’s just a matter of who’s taking over. It’s a nice place and it’s a central location and it should be OK.”

When asked if he is planning ahead in the event that a new buyer is not found, Nussen says he does not see his business going anywhere and has no plans to move at this time.

Without being prompted to speculate, he believes the problems stem from poor management, and too many people involved in the building process.

“Its been going on for years. We just started dealing with them a year ago and we had to wait until we were able to move in. But other people were signing deals, and they had all these delays at the beginning of the year and some backed out – just didn’t want to wait anymore."

“We believe in this project, so we’re stuck with it.”
Original article can be read HERE.

I used to live in Kelowna a few years back, to be more specific, south Pandosy, which i always liked better than the downtown area and saw the beginnings of SOPA square when the pilings where going down. Seems that residential buildings over the last few years have met a similar fate. It seems retail and office projects have a better chance of actually finishing for some reason, hmmm.

-Lionchild

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:40 AM

New Westcorp hotel downtown. Photos from link below:

http://www.welcometokelowna.com/news...elowna_Skyline

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:23 PM

From Kelowna Daily Courier: http://www.ok.bc.ca/front-page-news/...sed-21314.html

Quote:
A long-sought new hotel for downtown Kelowna is moving closer to reality with the developer formally filing an application at City Hall.
Edmonton-based Westcorp intends to build a first-class, 24-storey, 206-room hotel at the base of Queensway overlooking Okanagan Lake.
The $65-million project on the site of the old Willow Inn would also include an 18,000-square-foot conference centre,
4,000 square feet of new retail space along Water Street and a restaurant overlooking the lake.
"This project will revive this area of Kelowna's waterfront into the vibrant, central hub that it once was during the historic glory days of the original Willow Inn," Phil Milroy, president of Westcorp, said Wednesday.
Details of the proposed hotel, long desired by city officials as a way of helping revitalize the central core, were presented Wednesday to officials with the Downtown Kelowna Association.
Paperwork relating to the project was also filed this week with planning staff at City Hall. If all the necessary approvals are granted as expected, construction could start next year with completion by January 2017.
Hotel plans show a striking elliptical tower rising from a base that incorporates the retail premises and conference centre. "We really think this will be a jewel for downtown Kelowna," said Gail Temple, Westcorp's director of development.
"Our intention is for this to be the highest-rated hotel in Kelowna," Temple said. "It'll be a landmark building that we hope serves as a catalyst for future development downtown."
Key to the project is Westcorp's intention to buy a portion of Mill Street, extending between Bernard Avenue and Queensway, from the City of Kelowna. The area would become a pedestrian-friendly zone, with several outdoor patios and walkways.
The project does not infringe on Kerry Park, or on lands specified for perpetual municipal ownership in the Simpson Covenant, and the entire waterfront would remain open to the public.
In addition to the road closure, a height variance must also be approved by city council, as current city plans restrict any new building on the now-vacant site to 19 storeys.
Plans for the project are expected to reach a city council agenda for initial consideration within a few months. Public hearings on the requested variances and road closure would then be held.
Westcorp is a real estate company that owns and manages hotels, residential complexes, and retail developments. Last year, the company built a new public pier and marina in downtown Kelowna.
The company's redevelopment of the old Hiawatha mobile home park on Lakeshore Road was approved by council in December. Plans for that 18-acre site call for an 11-storey hotel, two eight-storey residential towers, and several low-rise buildings.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 8:34 PM

Couple more images of the proposed hotel on the Willow Inn site.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 10:10 PM

Looks interesting. it's kinda got a 60s vibe to it but I think I like it.

I think.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 10:32 PM

WOW! What a great plan! I look forward to seeing what, if anything that the city would want different. Even Kelly Os would get some awesome patio space. Great plan!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 11:06 PM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

Thanks for the high res render - looks much better then the paper render - was worried on how it looked. Actually looks good!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 3:46 AM

This project looks amazing! I would say this is now my favourite Kelowna proposal.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 2:44 PM

Any updates on the new Kelowna RCMP building on Clement, the new private hospital on WFN land, or the Highway 33 Extension of Clement? Last I heard the first two are close to ground breaking and the last one needs funds.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:33 AM

Regarding the new hotel proposal, here is the link to Westcorp's initial submission to the City of Kelowna which includes a bunch more renderings and a lot of interesting information.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevAp...(17-02-14).pdf

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 11:24 AM

Lovely design, I seriously hope this goes through.

Any word on the monaco development? Is that still under construction?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia